• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

OK, I know this lens has been discussed backwards and forwards, but bear with me for a second. I've searched this site until my eyes hurt, Called Backscatter and Reef Photo. No one knows what port combination to use for the Sigma 17-70 on a Sea & Sea housing. Can anyone help me out here? Even a link to previously discussed topic would be greatly appreciated!

I use a D80 and already have the SX Extension Ring and Optical Dome Port that I use for my Tokina 10-17.

Thanks Again!

Edited by IMSushi, 27 November 2008 - 09:45 AM.

Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

#2 os65

os65

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

I'm using Sigma 17-70 HSM with S&S MDX-300 housing and the port combination Reef Photo recommended me is NX compact macro port base (56201) + compact wide port (30103). This combination, however, proved to be too short and the lens can be zoomed only to approx. 50 mm. So when wishing to use longer zoom I do add an SX extension ring (50261) which, however, cuts off the wide end at approx. 25 mm.

#3 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

I wonder why they didn't recommend an NX Fisheye Dome Port with 40mm Ring. That was the way I was leaning, If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the same gear for this lens?
Pat Crane

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hi Pat,

There must have been some confusion, as this is a pretty well known combination. We've suggested 2 options in the past, and they can be found here via search.

Optical Dome Port + Extension Ring 40 + SX Extension Ring
-benefits include in air field of view, good underwater handling
-cons include in air field of view (for macro shooting, flat port has higher magnfication)

Compact Wide Port L + NX Compact Port Base
-pros include better macro performance from refractive mag & flat port, less expensive
-cons include narrower than in air fov, some distortion in corners, and not quite full zoom

I personally don't like the NX Fisheye Dome Port. Acrylic ports scratch too easily for my purposes, and it has poor underwater handling.

Thanks,
Ryan

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#5 os65

os65

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

Even with the limitation in the zoom range I probably would buy the same gear. I feel the compact wide port is easier to use for the type of subjects I usually shoot (fishes lying on the bottom, crayfishes etc.) than the bulky NX Fisheye Dome port when trying to get close and same level with the subject.

I wonder why they didn't recommend an NX Fisheye Dome Port with 40mm Ring. That was the way I was leaning, If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the same gear for this lens?

#6 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

hey pat,

My friend using the large fisheye dome port with the 40mm extension with the sigma 17-70mm and likes it.

I have both the compact and large acrylic dome ports. I can understand Ryan's comments about underwater handling, I prefer to use my compact port with my fisheye lens because of the smaller size.

Ryan, by poor handling, do you mean you dislike all large dome ports because of their bulk?

Since you already have a small dome port (the glass one) and an extension ring, you might just need one more extension ring and you'll be fine. sound's like you'll need a 20mm ring + 40mm ring, with a small dome port, just like ryan said.

Let me know how it works out. I'm thinking of getting the sigma 17-70 at some point.

Scott

#7 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

First off, Thanks Ryan for getting back to me. The gal at the shop wasn't sure and was going to get back to me...later. The info you provided is great! I agree, I'm not too in love with acrylic domes. :-)

Scott, I think, if I'm reading Ryan's post correctly, I already have most of what I need. I already have the Optical Glass Dome an the SX Extension Ring. All I need now is the 40mm Ring and I'm good! I'll go that route first and get back to you. Then later if I need it I'll think about the large NX Dome.

Ryan, one more quick question. Which zoom gear? Maybe the same as the Tokina 10-17 (made for the Canon 16-35)? Or other?
Pat Crane

#8 tombu

tombu

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:30 AM

Hi guys,
i'm nearly in the same situation as Pat - I got a Sea&Sea DX-D80 and a 17-70.
Maybe later I want to get my 12-24 and 60 macro wet but for the beginning the 17-70 I think is right for me.

Compact Wide Port L + NX Compact Port Base
-pros include better macro performance from refractive mag & flat port, less expensive
-cons include narrower than in air fov, some distortion in corners, and not quite full zoom

What about the distortions -> has someone with this combination a picture at 17mm where they are visible?
I don't want the same soft corners as my 8080 has in the pt-023...

A dealer also recommended me the Athena Fisheye Vario Port (he said - same as the Optical Dome).
Any suggestions?

The previous owner of my housing had the 17-70 in the Fisheye-Dome with an Extension - but I think it's quite bulky as you all say...
He uses the Zoomgear from the 10-17 with electrical tape around the lens to fit.
Will the Zoomgear for the 12-24 do the same?

Greetings
Tom