• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

am i supposed to change from the D70.... :unsure: :D

I hate these threads :D

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#22 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:16 AM

am i supposed to change from the D70.... :unsure: :D

I hate these threads :D

No Mike; just keep doing what you're doing, chasing women (and dressing up like them), it's a lot more interesting.
Hanging out on Wetpixel on these threads all I hear in the back of my mind is "Too much time on my hands............."
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#23 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Im not the only one that thinks the D3x is priced way too high :)

http://www.kenrockwe...return-2008.htm
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

"I'm highly critical of a camera I have not seen, because I can't afford it!" blogs are so him.

C'mon Cor... I'll show you my 5D2 in Mar and you will switch to the darkside. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Im not the only one that thinks the D3x is priced way too high :)

http://www.kenrockwe...return-2008.htm

I wonder if he talks as he writes, because he's obviously one of those guys who just loves to hear himself talk.
From the reports starting to come out, it appears the D3x will produce the highest quality digital image yet from a 35mm format digital camera within 'normal' ISO range. Clearly superior to the Sony which everyone was comparing it too.
So considering that the MRSP is identical to the initial Canon 1DSMKIII MSRP, I think this camera will sell well for those who need or want the quality.
Our local store has their first order of six already accounted for.

Edited by loftus, 17 December 2008 - 05:52 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Jeff I think he's the only product reviewer who doesn't have to see the product to review it. I wonder what his take on the Leica S2 is?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Jeff I think he's the only product reviewer who doesn't have to see the product to review it. I wonder what his take on the Leica S2 is?

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit I used to pay attention to this guy when I first got into digital; but Craig set me straight pretty quickly.

#28 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

At the risk of stirring the pot, a NIKON D300 customer of mine sent me this.

Only Nikon and Canon dSLR shooters will get it :) Plus anyone with a sense of humor!

All in fun.......

dhaas

Edited by dhaas, 17 December 2008 - 06:58 PM.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#29 Pigphy

Pigphy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

I have played with both the Nikon D90, and the Canon 5D MkII. In my opinion the Canon is the superior camera.

This is not a fair comparison. You are taking an entry level camera (Nikon D90) to compare against a serious enthusiast camera (canon 5D MkII)

#30 Pigphy

Pigphy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

As im currently looking to replace my Nikon D2x (leaning towards D700), my brain keeps nagging me... what about the 5D Mark II. I really hate to replace everything I own, but it seems like Nikon is now terminally behind Canon. It's only saving grace could be better chip performance.

Anyone else going through this right now? :)

Not necessary to replace everything. Just need to get a converter to fix onto the end of the nikon lens and then mount the lens onto the canon body. I've done it. Yes, i get weird looks by other people. "Ba****dised Camera" is pretty much written all over their face. Nikon lens with Canon body. But I made the switch from nikon D80 to Canon 40D.

In your case, you still need to change everything because you are changing from DX format to FX format (full frame). The sensor size is different thus u need the proper lens. If u were to use the DX lens on a FX body, you will end up with vignetting.

#31 Pigphy

Pigphy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

Hope I helped.

#32 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

Only Nikon and Canon dSLR shooters will get it :) Plus anyone with a sense of humor!

All in fun.......

dhaas

That is so funny - well I thought it was anyhow.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#33 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

All in fun.......

dhaas

I've watched it too many times and I still chuckle.
With the Nikon V Canon thing, seriously, I may shoot Canon, albeit old models, but in the right hands there is very little difference between them, okay, one make may be ahead of the game for 4-5 months but basically both manufacturers are running in parallel.
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#34 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Whether Nikon have been left behind depends....... for underwater users......

on whether you really, really can say that the extra information provided by specific sensor/lens/port combinations is firstly achievable and secondly usable! I have good A3 prints off 6MPixel cameras and A1/A0 prints of 12MPixel underwater shots. To extract as much clean information as possible out of even 10MPixel cameras is not always that easy nor straightforward. It requires working to as high standards as possible and thoroughly understanding the digital processes involved along the way. I am dubious as to whether the extra MPixels will yield substantially better images for the vast majority of users and as ever it has to be said that equipment is irrelevant if not used properly.

Both Nikon and Canon (and others) produce stunningly good cameras and whether one is outpacing the other depends on whether you really really need features only available from one manufacturer. I would however say that the 5DMkII is very exciting because of its video potential, and I for one consider that a stills camera with the ability to shoot video utilising stills lenses is a very attractive opposition even if it means carrying both strobe and continuous lighting!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#35 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

well said Paul!

#36 Johnsub

Johnsub

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

well said Paul!

This is an interesting thread as I'm considering D700 or the 5D MK 2. The deal breaker at this point is the black dot issue with the Canon.

#37 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

I think the thread title is reversed! :)
Canon has been left behind. Nikon presently has superior high ISO and AF in its pro, and pro-"lite" lines, respectively in the D3 and the D700.
See my posting today in the 'favorite shot of the year' thread started by Alex as an example of why these capabilities might be important: http://wetpixel.com/...mp;#entry194633.
Tom :monkey:

Edited by Tom_Kline, 19 December 2008 - 01:05 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#38 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

You're ALL a bunch of amateurs. :) Why don't you go out and buy 50 megapixel Haselblads and Ultima Digital housings?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#39 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

Because we won't have enough money to get next years 75 MP back.

Now if I could just trade my D2X housing for a second D300 housing, I would promise never to buy another DSLR housing.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#40 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

You're ALL a bunch of amateurs. :) Why don't you go out and buy 50 megapixel Haselblads and Ultima Digital housings?

Actually, I still have my H38 and Hassy EL (the stainless model) housings. Digibacks the size of A70 backs should fit, or one could (more economically and with no crop factor) scan 6x6cm film shots. At 4000 dpi that is about 81MP! I prefer to use AF for salmon, however.
Tom :lol:

Edited by Tom_Kline, 20 December 2008 - 05:36 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/