• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

You're ALL a bunch of amateurs. :lol: Why don't you go out and buy 50 megapixel Haselblads and Ultima Digital housings?

Because they don't have a flash socket!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#42 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

Oh that's just weak Alex. :lol:

Bantin 1 Rest of WP 0

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#43 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Oh that's just weak Alex. :)

Bantin 1 Rest of WP 0

Disagree,
No strobe = rank amateur. I have shot medium format underwater. I generally used f/11 with my Blads and one or two large size strobes to get decent results. I did try doing some available light as well, using 70mm Ektachrome 200 while snorkeling (back in the 80's).
Tom :lol:

Edited by Tom_Kline, 20 December 2008 - 07:12 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#44 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :lol:

Edited by John Bantin, 21 December 2008 - 03:05 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#45 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:32 AM

I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :)

Yeah not very impressive this year... No offence.. :lol:

The BBC wildlife calendar is really nice though...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#46 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :lol:

It was amateurish not to include a strobe socket on the housing (I have not seen one and was going on Alex's post). This did not reflect on you! I wonder how they could have missed including at least two. Using medium format for just available light is just rather limiting.

Your calendar is not available but Alaska Sea Grant is using one of my UW pix I shot with a D2X which they cropped a bit (made it less panoramic) in their 2009 calendar. I did not uprez before sending either. One no doubt can get a publishable result with the S2, as you have.

Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#47 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:38 AM

Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :lol:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#48 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

It should be said that the Ultima digital housings are fairly bespoke - so it would not be a problem to have a strobe socket fitted, I'd imagine.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#49 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

It should be said that the Ultima digital housings are fairly bespoke - so it would not be a problem to have a strobe socket fitted, I'd imagine.

Alex

They might if they are following this thread! :lol:
Tom

Oceanography & Limnology

#50 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:46 AM

Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :)

I suppose one of the European housing manufacturers will. Not much larger than a 35mm SLR from has been shown so should be easy to accommodate with a design not too different from existing models. Market, however, is likely to be very small. I wonder how the AF will stack up against C and N?

Oceanography & Limnology

#51 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :)

They have some lens data up:
http://www.s.leica-c...-35-mm-asph-cs/

This 35mm wide angle focuses to just 55cm - this will require using a diopter making over/under shots problematic. The MTF is very high for a wide angle lens but this may not be realized under water.

Oceanography & Limnology

#52 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Doesn't the economic climate affect underwater photographers?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#53 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

It does. Ive heard plenty of dive operations that are seriously hurting due to cancellations. It could be that for some reasons it doesnt affect photographers as a subgroup of divers that are cancelling, but I really doubt that.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#54 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

I have been mainly shooting salmon on my home turf! Noteworthy is that Alaska Airlines has finally added direct flights between Alaska and Hawaii (only a 6 hour flight from ANC to HNL), but I have not had a chance to try this yet. :lol:
Tom

Oceanography & Limnology

#55 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

We've always been in a financial crisis. Now the rest of the world has caught up.

/christian

#56 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

[/quote]
One no doubt can get a publishable result with the S2, as you have.
[/quote]

of course. back along i had quite a few published images with an S2, even a front cover that was
a landscape format cropped to a portrait. looked as clear as.

around that time the only 24 MP cams were digi backs for medium format users, who wanted to blow
an ad up to put it on the side of a building.

one wonders who really needs a 24 MP cam anyway.
[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#57 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

one wonders who really needs a 24 MP cam anyway.

A number on this board already have the Canon Ds3, others will be getting the 5D2, so there are a number looking for more MP. A bit more flexibility for cropping would be useful. From what I have seen on the Nikon D3X, it blows away what I have been getting with the D2X at the high ISO settings I am compelled to use for my UW photography; the D3 and D700 as well but without the generous crop ability.

Oceanography & Limnology

#58 writepic

writepic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:diving, taking photos and making films, my family, my friends, chocolate icecream.......

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

A number on this board already have the Canon Ds3, others will be getting the 5D2, so there are a number looking for more MP.

why?

i think iso performance is relevant, but more MP not so. or at least i'm not convinced so. it all seems a little bit of a race to own the best cam.

you want to beat my dead horse too??

are they going to make anything that comes up like FP4...? i loved that stuff!!!!

Edited by writepic, 22 December 2008 - 12:44 PM.

[font=Lucida Console]http://eyemocean.blogspot.com

#59 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

why?

i think iso performance is relevant, but more MP not so. or at least i'm not convinced so. it all seems a little bit of a race to own the best cam.

you want to beat my dead horse too??

are they going to make anything that comes up like FP4...? i loved that stuff!!!!

Since I do a lot of remote control UWP with the camera in a fixed position, the best behavior shot in a series may not be the best composition. So I would like better crop ability. There is a fairly large leap between 12 and 24 MP. I could crop a modest amount and still end up with 12 MP. Others may have different reasons. For example, newer models may also have a newer generation of AF, battery, etc., so more MP may be a secondary consideration.

Oceanography & Limnology

#60 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

I agree - for underwater use - do you really need high ISO performance? I'd take 2x as many megapixels instead.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org