Crinoid Fish Lighting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have tried many times to get a head on crinoid fish and this is my lastest

D70 Nikon 105mm
Fstop F20
Manual strobe on full, (only one strobe on top of the camera)

Ideas and comments appreciated. This is my first time here so I hope I uploaded everything okay.

Photo on Flickr
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:05 PM

Hi Karen,
There are some very nice images on your Flickr page. Thanks for sharing. I love the whale breaching and the hairy pipefish.

Anything buried done inside a crinoid can be tough huh. I like your crinoid fish shot a lot. The only thing I might play with is the brightness of the arm heading down at 7 o'clock. I'm thinking if you toned that down a stop or two your little guy would pop more. Which tool are you using to process your images?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Hi Karen,
There are some very nice images on your Flickr page. Thanks for sharing. I love the whale breaching and the hairy pipefish.

Anything buried done inside a crinoid can be tough huh. I like your crinoid fish shot a lot. The only thing I might play with is the brightness of the arm heading down at 7 o'clock. I'm thinking if you toned that down a stop or two your little guy would pop more. Which tool are you using to process your images?

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I use Photoshop CS3 but all I mainly do is a little brightness and contrast. This shot I put +12 on brightness and +5 on contrast. I will try the strobe angle being different. I just love watching these fish in the crinoids. I will play with it a bit more and see what it looks like.

Thanks for the comments.

Karen

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have tried many times to get a head on crinoid fish and this is my lastest

D70 Nikon 105mm
Fstop F20
Manual strobe on full, (only one strobe on top of the camera)

Ideas and comments appreciated. This is my first time here so I hope I uploaded everything okay.

Photo on Flickr

Hi Karen,

Very nice photo, indeed.

How's married life treating you???

Robin

#5 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

Personally after enough failures to fill a small hard drive trying to get shrimp, lobsters and fish in crinoids , I like your shot. Some shots are just tougher than others and you did a good job with a difficult shot. Did you shoot the file in RAW? If so, CS3 has some really good additional sliders that give you more flexibility to further tweak your shot.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#6 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

Personally after enough failures to fill a small hard drive trying to get shrimp, lobsters and fish in crinoids , I like your shot. Some shots are just tougher than others and you did a good job with a difficult shot. Did you shoot the file in RAW? If so, CS3 has some really good additional sliders that give you more flexibility to further tweak your shot.

Thanks Gary, I have not played with the raw file too much, I will try the tweaking later and see what I come up with. I have to say I am a little behind the times in the processing field and still learning a lot about CS3.

#7 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi Karen,

Very nice photo, indeed.

How's married life treating you???

Robin

Hey Robin

Thanks for the comments, married life is good, have to say not too different, still waiting on the photogs pics and will send them to you.

Have a good xmas

Karen