• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

OK, this is a follow-up question to one I posted a few weeks ago about which Extension Ring, Zoom Gear and Dome Port for a Sigma 17-70 using Sea & Sea. Their recommendation was to use a 40mm Extension Ring, SX Extension Ring and NX Fisheye Dome Port. I already own the Optical Dome and it seems to work very well with the other recommended extensions...so far.

The Zoom Gear is my problem! They recommended the #56350 (Nikkor 18-35mm) for use with the Sigma 17-70mm (non-HSM). On the lens, there is a lock switch for locking the zoom of the lens and fixing it at 17mm. That switch is about 2mm above the rest of the barrel and prevents the Zoom Gear from slipping onto the barrel of the lens. Seemingly, my options are to remove the protruding part of the switch by filing it down or to use a larger diameter Zoom Gear to fit over the switch as is and tape up the barrel to fit the larger diameter Gear. What has anyone else done? Or, what would you recommend?? Thanks!
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

#2 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

I am assuming I have the same lens (new to me) Sigma DC 17-70 2.8-4.5, with the lock switch. Had two gears that seem to fit. S&S for "Canon EF16-35mm F2.8 USM zoom gear" which also fits Tokina 10-17 and a F.I.T. gear for the Tokina 10-17. They both slide over the lock switch and with the addition of two 1/2" rubber bands on the zoom barrel operate that function with the focus nob. Yet untested submerged but works well on the table. :::><)))))*>:::::::::::::><)))))*>

OK, this is a follow-up question to one I posted a few weeks ago about which Extension Ring, Zoom Gear and Dome Port for a Sigma 17-70 using Sea & Sea. Their recommendation was to use a 40mm Extension Ring, SX Extension Ring and NX Fisheye Dome Port. I already own the Optical Dome and it seems to work very well with the other recommended extensions...so far.

The Zoom Gear is my problem! They recommended the #56350 (Nikkor 18-35mm) for use with the Sigma 17-70mm (non-HSM). On the lens, there is a lock switch for locking the zoom of the lens and fixing it at 17mm. That switch is about 2mm above the rest of the barrel and prevents the Zoom Gear from slipping onto the barrel of the lens. Seemingly, my options are to remove the protruding part of the switch by filing it down or to use a larger diameter Zoom Gear to fit over the switch as is and tape up the barrel to fit the larger diameter Gear. What has anyone else done? Or, what would you recommend?? Thanks!

#3 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

What has anyone else done? Or, what would you recommend?? Thanks!

I have Hugyfot but I had the same problem so I filed the zoom ring so it would slide over the lens avoiding the protruding switch.
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#4 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

The Seatool gear that I got was notched to go over both the AF/MF and the lock switches. However, the notch wasn't big enough to go over both . . .that is, until I zoomed the lens. Then both switches lined up with each other as the barrel turned and the ring would go on. Not sure how yours is designed, but that is what was up with mine!

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#5 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Well. I think I'll probably keep the Zoom Gear and follow David's advice of filing a notch in the Ring. That way I'll have another toy and, who knows?, it might come in handy in the future on another lens.
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000