• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#61 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

During some e-mail exchanges with the Backscatter folks, I was informed they have received an Aquatica 5D Mark II housing for evaluation and feedback which they, of course, were quite willing to do! Sounded like they liked what they saw so far but hadn't been able to jump in the murky CA water to test it out at depth.

I got a chance to play with Backscatter's eval housing in the pool for about 30 minutes last weekend (the day after they received it). As a 20D user it does not take much to wow me though. A large display and three color histogram are enough. Nonetheless, was very impressed with the Aquatica's control availability and build quality.

The system was not well set up photo-wise for a through indoor pool evaluation (wide lens + single YS-250 on a single 8-inch arm). I did not play with the video features. I shared the camera with another guy who, unlike me, already owned the 5D Mkll. He spent at least an hour evaluating the video features and controls. I got the impression he was impressed.

I'm sorry I don't have more to add. I just though I'd gloat a bit :-)

-Brad

Edited by BradDB, 22 February 2009 - 01:39 PM.

Canon 7D in a Subal housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#62 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

Jean,

I see that you liked my knobs. :D
post_1676_1233945247.jpg

TomC
Canon 7D, Nauticam Housing, Z-240 strobes, a bunch of lenses
http://www.tpixs.com

#63 Nextwo

Nextwo

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Photo, Diving and ROV

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Jean,

I see that you liked my knobs. ^_^
post_1676_1233945247.jpg

TomC

Now this is why I choose Aquatica, they listens to users feedback.
Keep up the good work Jean :D

Dag
"When breaking the Laws of Nature the punishment occurs instantly. The punishment is known in advance and always sentenced unconditionally!"

#64 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

Jean,

I see that you liked my knobs. ^_^

TomC

Good idea you had, i'm always on the lookout for the better mouse trap :D

Dag, I thought you choose Aquatica for my good looks, i'm disapointed, LOL , you know even if we have our head buried in it everyday, don't mean we see everything everytime, there is no substitute for using the product in the field, and that is why I always pay attention to this type of feedback. Tom had a great idea with his knobs and it got adopted, now to find a name for them's how about Tomy's knob. :P
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#65 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

now to find a name for them's how about Tomy's knob. :D

Be careful, it will make the thread NWS ^_^

#66 newmediasoup

newmediasoup

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

Brad,

That was me! Yup... no one was using it, so I just stayed in the pool until the battery on the 5D mkII ran out!
I didn't take a single photo, just video. I've got some footage that I need to edit and post up.
Hopefully can find time to do it soon.

Cheers!

Joel
Newmediasoup, LLC

I got a chance to play with Backscatter's eval housing in the pool for about 30 minutes last weekend (the day after they received it). As a 20D user it does not take much to wow me though. A large display and three color histogram are enough. Nonetheless, was very impressed with the Aquatica's control availability and build quality.

The system was not well set up photo-wise for a through indoor pool evaluation (wide lens + single YS-250 on a single 8-inch arm). I did not play with the video features. I shared the camera with another guy who, unlike me, already owned the 5D Mkll. He spent at least an hour evaluating the video features and controls. I got the impression he was impressed.

I'm sorry I don't have more to add. I just though I'd gloat a bit :-)

-Brad

#67 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:51 AM

Stephen Frink sent me the first images of the new Seacam housing for the Canon EOS 5D Mkii this morning.
Note also the new MF macro port.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#68 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

some more 5D Mkii Seacam housings pics from Stephen Frink.
Other new features are the lens release, new latches, and ergonomic shutter release.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

Looks very nice; I think we will start seeing fewer of the larger housings now both for Canon and Nikon. Seems there will be very little advantage of the larger bodies except for those who prefer the larger bodies topside.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#70 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:04 AM

Looks very nice; I think we will start seeing fewer of the larger housings now both for Canon and Nikon. Seems there will be very little advantage of the larger bodies except for those who prefer the larger bodies topside.

Small is very attractive for travel.
Some of the advantages of a 1 series cameras ... battery life; being able to use a 1d for 10fps or 1ds for resolution in the same housing; responsiveness/lag; AF speed?; and when the 1d/s mkIV are released, manual control of video and PAL compatibility with any luck.
But hey, the 5dmkii is a lota bang for the buck.

#71 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Very cool! I like the new Subal-style cam latches. The MF macro port reminds me a lot of my Systemport.

When the 5D came out, I switched from the 1D series to the 5D because of the size difference, but I ultimately switched back because I couldn't give up the viewfinder, autofocus, and "snappiness" of the pro body.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#72 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:07 AM

Stephen Frink sent me the first images of the new Seacam housing for the Canon EOS 5D Mkii this morning.
Note also the new MF macro port.

Thanks Darren. Not to hijack the thread away from the 5DII, but the new macro port is very interesting. Aside from the obvious focus gear functionality on the port itself (for easy manual focus while cradling port in left hand), the bigger issue is how precise the front of the lens glass is to the rear of port glass.

This one happened to be for the Canon 100 macro, but it can also be ordered for the new Nikon 105mm Micro-Nikkor. Both are internal focus lenses, which allows the front of the lens to be positioned within 1mm of the rear of the glass throughout the entire focus range. This is exceedingly important when using external wet diopters, for optimal corner performance from the diopter is only possible when the lens is positioned in proximity to the rear of the diopter, and too much space inside the port seriously degrades the optical performance. See http://stephenfrink....et-diopter.html for more on this issue.

Seacam_5DII_housing05.JPG
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#73 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

Steve.
What's the US price for this little baby? (Housing)
Looks like the 45 degree viewfinder will not be ideal for video.

Edited by loftus, 26 February 2009 - 07:14 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#74 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:25 AM

Steve.

Jeff - Very good observation about the S45. On my blog, http://www.digitalimmersions.com, I made the following comment on that issue:

"Note that I only shot the photos of the housing with either of the two magnified viewfinder, either the Swivel-45 degree finder (S45) or the Sport-180 (S180). Divers using the housing primarily for the video capability will no doubt prefer the far less expensive Pro viewfinder as it will not obscure the camera's LCD screen and make it lighter in the water. Those shooting surf applications or snorkeling for large marine life will undoubtedly want the Pro viewfinder option."

As for pricing: 3780 euro, today that is $4,813.74 USD.

Actually, because we price in Euro and the Euro is coming down relative to the USD, Seacam is becoming more affordable lately.

#75 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

That's great news Steve! I noticed the blurring problem when using the Wet 1 with the 100mm lens and PVL120. It was close, but not optimal. With these tight tolerances, fitting a diopter to the camera lens won't be possible. The Canon 500D for example is about 5cm long.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#76 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

That's great news Steve! I noticed the blurring problem when using the Wet 1 with the 100mm lens and PVL120. It was close, but not optimal. With these tight tolerances, fitting a diopter to the camera lens won't be possible. The Canon 500D for example is about 5cm long.

Cheers
James

James - Good point. With any kind of screw-on diopter, the precision fit of this macro port would not work. For that you'd more likely use a standard macro port, P105, and the smallest (PVL20) port extension. That's what I travel with now, because I use the PVL20 with the superdome for the 14mm anyway. So, I've chosen a flat port to work with 50mm and the 100mm with that specific 20mm of port extension. Yet, that's not a great compromise either as it is 125mm of extension, which is a little long. Your P120 (120mm) dedicated macro port is no doubt better than what I'm using presently.

With port extensions in 5mm increments, it is relatively easy to find the sweet-spot for whatever internal diopter though. The 5cm of Canon 500D would take some planning to accommodate, and using both internal and external diopters would be tough with that much additional air space. For me, I find the functionality of the external wet diopter better, just so I don't have to have the focus range restricted for the whole dive.

Edited by StephenFrink, 26 February 2009 - 03:58 PM.

#77 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

Steve.

Here's the video screen with the Pro Viewfinder instead of S45 or S180 viewfinders, Seacam 5DII:

ProViewfinder.jpg

#78 emaltorio

emaltorio

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

Subal ,had their 5dmark2 housing on display in Rome this past weekend.Anybody been there?

#79 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:04 AM

Cheers
James

James - I just sent you this snip in a PM:

I traded e-mails with Harald this morning and he mentioned he can make a regular flat port in any practical length. So, what I am going to have him do is create a flat port to exact length to work with 100mm macro with a PVL 20. I need the PVL20 on the road anyway (for my 14mm with superdome), and a dedicated 100mm port is too long for my Sigma 50mm. That way I can carry just 2 ports and 2 extension rings (PVL 20 and PVL 57.5) to cover my normal Canon full-frame arsenal: 15mm, 14mm, 16-35II, Sigma 50mm, 100mm macro. This will also optimize the 100mm for use with Wet Diopters.

But, this also suggests to me we can get more precise than standard P120. Or even create custom ports like a flat port for a 100mm macro with the Canon 500D attached (coming to within 1mm of rear of port glass) so that an optimized external wet diopter could be added as well. But, it does not change your observation. With these purposely tight tolerances an internal diopter is not possible. The decision has to be made whether diopters will be external or internal when ordering the port.

#80 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Not to jump on top of what's become a SeaCam/Aquatica thread ... :P

I'm here at PMA and stumbled upon the Sea & Sea exhibit. Had a nice chat with one of their designers and he said that the Mark II housing was definitely in the works for around an April debut.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr