• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#101 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:23 AM

Anthis has announced the release of of the housing for 5D MarkⅡ.
Posted Image
http://www.anthis.co...ews09-07-1.html
http://www.anthis.co...ews09-07-2.html
Price:JPY246,750~273,000
Dimensions (WxHxD): 313x175x134mm
Weight: 2,054g
Depth Rating:75m

Yoko
Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#102 AengusM

AengusM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

...and have you shipped any to Australia yet? :drink:

Scubapix (PMooney) will have one on his stand at Oztek today/tomorrow, http://www.diveoztek.com.au/

If there is a guy there holding onto it not wanting to hand it back...thats probably me ;-)

#103 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Subal's 5D Mk II housings will start shipping next week, and we've received a few images.

From the front, with the new Subal name plate. The right bulkhead was relocated to provide more room for an improved front command dial placement.

Posted Image

Subal made a very concerted effort to improve shooting ergonomics from the right grip , which is overlooked on many canon models. This housing offers excellent access to the shutter release, star/af-on button, front command wheel, and rear command wheel. A lever has been added for backlight (and I'm anxious to see if I can modify it for af-on).

Posted Image

Posted Image

These images show the GS180 and WS45 viewfinders. An accessory port is also available for a microphone, remote monitor, or cable release.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#104 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Looks very nice; I know I'm biased, but Subal just does such a great job with the ergonomics of their housings, and they just look so clean and functional. :drink:
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#105 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

It's great to see continuous improvement from the housing manufacturers. Kudos are in order!

I'm just back from a month offshore and I shot THOUSANDS of photos and some video w/ the 5DII - it's a fantastic all around camera - I didn't miss my MkIII one bit.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#106 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

It's great to see continuous improvement from the housing manufacturers. Kudos are in order!

I'm just back from a month offshore and I shot THOUSANDS of photos and some video w/ the 5DII - it's a fantastic all around camera - I didn't miss my MkIII one bit.

Cheers
James

James did you shoot underwater with the 5dmkii?

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#107 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Alas no - I haven't taken it underwater yet. I sent my housing off to Sam but haven't gotten it back yet.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#108 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

quote name='Ryan' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:27 PM' post='205481']
Subal made a very concerted effort to improve shooting ergonomics from the right grip , which is overlooked on many canon models. This housing offers excellent access to the shutter release, star/af-on button, front command wheel, and rear command wheel. A lever has been added for backlight (and I'm anxious to see if I can modify it for af-on).

[/quote]

Ryan my mouth watereth over!!!

Don't forget I was first on your order list!!

Cant really tell from the pictures - how much does the GS viewfinder impinge on the LCD screen? Will you easily be able to see all info and he video record button?

I am not clear on your comment about the backlight lever. There is a lever for AF-ON allready - not so? I do agree that a backlight access is really not necessary as it it so much easier to see all the info on the main LCD day or night. So maybe that can be used for something else. It also seems to me that you only have access to two of the three ( AF-ON, * and Zoom in ) buttons on the top right back of the camera - unlike the Subal C40 that had access to all three, or am I missing something?

Very exciting that they have added access for a remote release - any information on that yet?

#109 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

The one thing I've noticed none of the manufacturers have done is build a shade for the LCD window. Using live view for video or just for the sake of having a big VF for framing would be a boon for those shooting big animals/action. Since a lot of that is in the shallows where strong light is omnipresent, the reflection off the screen (if non-reflectiive material isn't used) will make it difficult to see.
Liveview is now a standard with all DSLR (as perhaps video will be soon too, with 3 VidSLR in the market so far), so manufacturers will have to change the designs to cater for such functions.
At least 2 manufacturers heeded the requests for hydrophones.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#110 Berkley

Berkley

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

One more thing...

We took photos of the Subal 5DmkII housing last week. I've posted the internal views below.

Subal_Canon5DmkII_inside.jpg

Subal_Canon5DmkII_insideback.jpg

#111 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

I've copied this from the 5Dmkii video thread as it answers some previous questions in this 5dmkii housing thread.

....I spoke with Aquatica this weekend and they will have a solution to access both AF-ON and the star button. This final production model has been greatly improved over the last 3 weeks thanks to Aquatica's willingness to implement user feedback. Hat's off to Aquatica! ....

I sent an email off to Blake last night with my concerns regarding the most recently posted version of the Aquatica 5dmkii housing, particularly as they had "lost" one button, thus users could only access either * or AF-ON.

How was it that they could go from the required 4 button access to 3 button access AFTER testing the first prototype? Any clues? Seems crazy. But yes, hats off if they have got back on track.

#112 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

Well Darren, it looks like AF-On and * don't have individual buttons on any of the housings shown here. I think their previous prototype's solution for accessing all 3 buttons at the back right was not too elegant. 2 smallish levers next to each other is hard to actuate when you have fat thumbs from thick gloves and it protrudes out too much which affects the fit of the hand on the grip.

Another thing I noticed is the position of the SET button on the housings shows the ergonomic thought of each design. The Seacam and Aquatica moved the SET button up nearer where the thumb's natural resting position would be if holding the housing. The Subal and Anthis both have it right where the dial is, which means more movement and contortion of the hand to access that function. For video shooters, it is something to consider carefully. Seems video was on the mind of Seacam and Aquatica whereas it was not a priority for Subal and Anthis.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#113 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Well Darren, it looks like AF-On and * don't have individual buttons on any of the housings shown here. I think their previous prototype's solution for accessing all 3 buttons at the back right was not too elegant. 2 smallish levers next to each other is hard to actuate when you have fat thumbs from thick gloves and it protrudes out too much which affects the fit of the hand on the grip.

Another thing I noticed is the position of the SET button on the housings shows the ergonomic thought of each design. The Seacam and Aquatica moved the SET button up nearer where the thumb's natural resting position would be if holding the housing. The Subal and Anthis both have it right where the dial is, which means more movement and contortion of the hand to access that function. For video shooters, it is something to consider carefully. Seems video was on the mind of Seacam and Aquatica whereas it was not a priority for Subal and Anthis.

Yep, it seems it's been a bit of a challenge to get it right, and as they say "the proof will be in the pudding" ...rhubarb preferably :drink: ...

I know from shooting topside video with the camera over a few months now, that to get any sort of sensible shooting workflow means you need easy access to those 4 controls, preferably without having to think about it too much :D
As it is even on land the Set button isn't in the best place.

#114 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:18 AM

That's because it was an afterthought for Canon as well. I think they caught wind of the D90 too late to implement it correctly. And the popularity sorta knocked them off their chairs. But so did the downturn LOL.

I think it's pretty much getting use to doing things slightly different. The AE lock can be done at the shutter and then use AF-On to AF (CF IV -1). That should cover most shooting parameters. Then of course you can't -/+ view on the LCD preview but it's not a big deal compared to AE Lock and AF. Of course you can use CF IV-2 to switch the buttons around underwater and save it under another CF setting. Workarounds workarounds.

Drew

#115 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Did first dive with the Ikelite housing last weekend. It has both AF and AE lock buttons available but I didn't record any video, too much surge to attempt macro video for the first time. See the Showcase board for my still shots:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=29379

Upgrading from the Ikelite 5D housing to the 5DmkII housing, the most obvious change is the strobe port moving to the top left of the housing. This was an odd choice -- I would have put it top left or on top of the housing -- but I'm sure they considered that. In use, it wasn't in my way any more than strobe wires on any other housing I've used. The mkII housing seems better put together than my 5D housing was, certain small complaints I had with my old housing were addressed like knurling the camera screw mount and parts feel higher quality. I've always liked the way I can see the whole camera through the housing on Ikelite. I don't love the port mounting, the best system seems to be the bayonet on Subal housings. Still, for 1/3 the price I think it's a great housing system.

Let me know if you have any questions on the Ikelite housing.

Edited by synthetic, 23 March 2009 - 10:24 AM.

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5DmkII, Ikelite Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#116 gbrandon

gbrandon

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

Any firm date on the Sea & Sea or the Aquatica housings for the 5D MKII?

I just got a call today from my dive shop, a spot opened up on the new Aggressor boat in the Maldives.
The date is April 3rd.

It would be a shame to take the trip and have to leave my 5d topside.

Any mfg's out there that need anymore testing done? hint, hint...

#117 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Now lets see if we can make the lot of you happy, this approach should please most if not all of you, the AF-ON button is accessed by pushing down the lever in its defaults position, if one need the * (star) button, one has only to slide the lever outward and press down to have access to it, push back in for AF-On etc.

Star_AF_ON_lever.jpg

Star_AF_ON_lever_external.jpg

Star_AF_ON_lever_sequence.jpg

The casual observer will note by the lack of capillary extrusion on the hand (a dead giveaway) that our beloved Wetpixel model James Wiseman was not available for this shoot out :) . We regret to impose you this humble stand in, yours truly.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of this forum for their comments and input and let them know that we always appreciate their recommendations and every efforts is made whenever it is possible to implement theses constructive changes in our designs. :)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#118 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

Now lets see if we can make the lot of you happy, this approach should please most if not all of you.....

Now that's a statement out on a limb :) but you may have just done it with v3.0....

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of this forum for their comments and input and let them know that we always appreciate their recommendations and every efforts is made whenever it is possible to implement theses constructive changes in our designs. :)

:)

Wow. You guys are serious about making this work. That deserves a big hug in itself :wub: . I congratulate you and the team for considering the feedback.

#119 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

I think Blake and Jean would just appreciate that you buy from them and skip the hug. :)
Nice work guys. Now about that anti-reflective coating LCD window? :)

Drew

#120 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

I think Blake and Jean would just appreciate that you buy from them and skip the hug. :) .....

Why do you think my interest level has been so high...? the order I placed was based on V1.0!

Hopefully your anti-glare screen will be a user-replaceable option :)

When covered in water, would something akin to "frosted" non-reflective picture framing glass work? Maybe the small indentations would fill with water, like a scratch on a port, but still have some non-reflective properties? Or is there a simpler solution?