• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#21 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

My favorite was from the bottom of the grand canyon. It was taken with a ND filter, and a makeshift tripod from a pile of rocks

Attached Images

• _DSC0464.jpg

#22 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

This is easily my favorite photo of the year. Shot up in Port Hardy. There were un-countable numbers of jellyfish in the water. During a safty stop, I took a few pics of them as they floated by. While up-loading photos that evening, I asked Alex about the small critters that were clinging to some of the Jellys. He explained to me they were amphipods. I wanted to see about getting a good shot of them and spent the following dives shooting some on safty stops. A Redeye Medusa drifted by with something somewhat larger on top of it. Closer inspection revealed this small crab.

Posted Image

Rand

Edited by randapex, 19 December 2008 - 01:10 PM.

Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#23 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Some great shots there!

My favorite, not because I think it was my best, but because I was so excited to see it, especially on a wreck diving trip!

Posted Image

Taken at Santo, Vanuatu, directly over the President Coolidge. Sad thing was, I took it with my previous settup (G7). I'm doing some dives next week though, so I might even have another one to put in from my SLR in a few days!

Ryan.

Edited by aussie, 19 December 2008 - 04:12 PM.

Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#24 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

This is easily my favorite photo of the year. Shot up in Port Hardy. There were un-countable numbers of jellyfish in the water. During a safty stop, I took a few pics of them as they floated by. While up-loading photos that evening, I asked Alex about the small critters that were clinging to some of the Jellys. He explained to me they were amphipods. I wanted to see about getting a good shot of them and spent the following dives shooting some on safty stops. A Redeye Medusa drifted by with something somewhat larger on top of it. Closer inspection revealed this small crab.

Posted Image

Rand

I love it. What an awesome shot!!
Ellen B.

#25 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Here is mine, not my best but I still like it. Sadly lost all my photos this year after my hard drive went belly up or should I say drowned...... here is to 2009

2008_12_kv007.jpg
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#26 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

I took this at the beginning of 2008 in St Croix, US Virgin Islands. We went in the water to photograph hamlets, but when I noticed this guy i forgot all about the hamlets and inched my way closer to him.

It's my favorite shot because it was unexpected. Taken with D2x and 105mm.

Posted Image
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#27 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Wow, such beautiful photos....amazing. This is why I love this website so much, I learn. Thanks guys and happy holidays. I have two, one with my oly 350 and one with my new nikon d300.

Posted Image
Eagle Ray Bonaire, Nikon D300

Posted Image
Wakatobi house reef, Oly 350
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#28 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.
Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

Posted Image

Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

Edited by Quinn, 19 December 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#29 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

Like others, not necessarily the best of the year, but it was my first outing with my new rig! Jellyfish Lake in Palau. Total luck - and a little cropping :)
Palau_flying_jellies.jpg

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#30 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.
Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

Posted Image

Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#31 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Holy cow, Cor! Great moment!
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#32 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

My favorite is the most recent little manatee that I fell in love with, this photo is from 3 days ago. My husband dubbed him "Torpedo", because of the way he playfully darted around amongst all the other manatee. We have been observing him for over a month now - as I think it was mid-November when I first photographed him and his mom, who BTW really does seem to enjoy "showing him off". :)

Torpedo & Mom

Posted Image

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#33 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Now I've seen Hammerheads at Blue corner and German channel but jelly fish lake??

Edited by PIG004, 19 December 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#34 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

Here's mine
After a chat with Martin Edge earlier in the year I wanted to play with dusk sunlight.
I found some Lionfish hunting siversides in open water on the housereef in Marsa Alam and 'Flailed Away' with the Tokina 10-17.
Not brilliant shots but with a yellowing sun against the blue water I was very pleased with the results.

dsc_1732.jpg dsc_1733.jpg

Wishing all you 'Wet Pixies' a Merry Christmas

Nige Wade

Edited by under pressure, 20 December 2008 - 12:15 AM.

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#35 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

Not a bad subject to be stuck with Mike, especially when you get it to yourself!! :monkey:

Happy Holidays & Good Luck on the new venture with Simon in Lembeh..

Cindy

#36 Maarten_NL

Maarten_NL

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

Rand> truly amazing shot of the jellyfish!

I have yet to visit tropical waters but here is one of my favorite shots from cold waters (4 degrees at the time of shooting).

Posted Image
UW Setup: Canon EOS 50D / 60mm Macro f2.8 / Tamron 17-50 f2.8 / Sea&Sea YS27DX / Seatool housing

#37 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

Here's my favourite and its story. Taken about 15m down in Loch Fyne Scotland, the fish - a black goby - was peering into the discarded beer bottle when I first saw it. As I approached, the fish swam head first into the bottle, but being a rather fat fish it had trouble getting in and had to thrash its tail around to push itself into the bottle. After a couple of minutes I got this shot. Unfortunately, a designer commented that it rather looked like the British prime minister, Gordon Brown, contemplating the economic crisis from the depths of a bottle, and I'm reminded of this every time I look at the picture.
D048670.jpg
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#38 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

2008 has been a good year; many great shots for me and lots of good memories. Lots of time spent diving with new friends I've met directly or indirectly through Wetpixel.
Our favorite shots are not always the most technically perfect, but often those that do more on a personal emotional level. I do two very different things in my underwater photography - in a pool studio, it's all about visualization and control, in the wild it's all about trying to show something the way I saw and wondered at it.

In my pool work I've made progress in setting up my 'studio' and I have lots of ideas for 2009 with some pool shoots already scheduled for January. Here's one that shows some control of lighting and control by my excellent model.

Posted Image

In the wild, my favorite shot; is of the same subject as Carol's manatees. I think one of the hardest things to do underwater is to tell a story, unless it's something obvious like a dead finned shark.
For me the composition of this image tells the story of an ever watchful mommy manatee hanging in the background as her little one curiously checks me out.
Sun streaming through the water just the way I saw it, another difficult thing to convey underwater.
I'm also very pleased that the image is 100% available light, and my first outing with the D700.

Posted Image

Edited by loftus, 20 December 2008 - 08:26 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#39 DavidG

DavidG

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

Here is mine,
I took this photo on October in Elphistone. I didn't crop the image, after I took this photo with a Tokina 10-17mm it bumped my front port. It was a really cool experience swimming with the oceanics.
Posted Image

Edited by DavidG, 20 December 2008 - 08:28 AM.

Subal ND20, Nikon D200 and lots of water to photograph.

http://www.worldofoceans.com

#40 twinner

twinner

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Nice images.

Here's mine

todd_winner_trukodyssey.jpg
Todd Winner
www.toddwinner.com