• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#161 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

So many memorable shots. Keep 'em coming.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#162 Bruce Zavon

Bruce Zavon

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

So many amazing photos, it's overwhelming. This thread is great! :lol:

I had the best year of diving in my life, Red Sea with Subal and ULCS friends, Tawali PNG with Ned and Anna Deloach and Paul Humann and 5 months in Bonaire. What a life, I have to kick myself sometimes. Needless to say got to work on my skills, and have a bunch of keepers this year. But for this thread I picked a personal favorite for a couple reasons. I never shot nudi's before, "too easy," but now I know. What an amazing range of sizes, shapes and colors. I also never shot in the muck, so of course now I'm addicted. I'm thinking of filling the swimming pool with silt and see what grows. :) This was one of many I saw in PNG, and of course this is how I found it; no nudibranchs were harmed in the making of this photo. This guy captures all of the above and sums up my year.

Happy New Year!! :(

Posted Image

Nikon d200, Subal housing, single Ike DS125, 105mm, f/22 at 1/125th, minor adjustments in Aperture

Edited by Bruce Zavon, 31 December 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#163 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

What a 'Happy' chap..... :lol:
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#164 dmoss

dmoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

What an amazing group of shots. Keep them coming.

This is my favorite of the year as it was on a Galapagos trip that included many firsts for me.

First Whale Shark
First time diving with large schools of big predators.
First time I've had a playful sea lion try to pull a fin off my foot and blow bubbles in my face.
First time I was able to dispell my long time claim that ' I don't get seasick ' :lol:

Our DM (in the photo) was swimming along beside this guy and signalled me to stop. He proceeded to turn it in my direction and it actually swam right over me within a couple of feet.

Thanks to all the fine Wetpixelians for sharing their knowledge and help this year.

Posted Image

Edited by dmoss, 31 December 2008 - 09:51 AM.

David
Canon 5D, Ikelite

My Flickr Photos

#165 Carlos_Suarez

Carlos_Suarez

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:57 AM

I dont now :lol:

May be this

Posted Image

or may be this
Posted Image

or this
Posted Image

or this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I dont now, please, help me

Happy New Year 2009
Carlos Suarez
carlos@theoceanlife.com
http://www.theoceanlife.com

#166 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2986 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

Carlos, you very clearly do not need any help. :lol:
Happy New Year,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#167 Tigershark

Tigershark

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

My little contribution for the topic.

Happy New Year for all.

RogerioSilva_1.jpg

Best regards,
Tigershark

#168 JasonDPG

JasonDPG

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Conceptual Photography, Ocean Conservation, Internet Businesses, Snowboarding

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hey guys - all of these shots are great. Nice work folks! Enjoying this.
**************************************************************************************
Jason Heller
www.DivePhotoGuide.com | www.JasonHeller.com
| www.UnderwaterCompetition.com | www.NYUPS.org

#169 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

The day after my sister's wedding I was doing a deep dive in Savu Savu in Fiji (KoroSun Dive). On the safety stop I was joined by a lovely school of curious bat fish. It made it very memorable

Posted Image

Happy new year for 2009 wet pixies - Im looking forward to more inspiration and learning

PS: My New Years resolution is to get an image or story "printed" in a dive magazine in 2009.

#170 Lasse

Lasse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thank you all for the good stories and the very inspiring photos. I had a creative idea and got into the pool with my friend the "stunt fish". I shot a series of photos on the topic "freedom is an illusion", and received a lot of positive remarks from both divers and non divers.

It is the first time I have tried to create some more artistic underwater photos, and I'm happy with the result. It would be nice to get some feedback from you guys.

Posted Image

It is very hard to pick one photo as my best this year. This year I had the opportunity to dive a lot in Norway. To me, it is a wild and unspoilt beauty to dive the temperate waters on the west coast and in the arctic part of Norway. I hope to see more pictures from temperate waters from fellow Wetpixel members in 2009.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Definitely this year's greatest diving experience: diving with 10-15 stingrays mating in the Maldives

Posted Image

Edited by Lasse, 01 January 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#171 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

I was fortunate enough to do more diving this past year than in previous years. And, the best part of all was that I got a chance to dive in Indonesia for the very first time. Selecting one image may have been easier in the past, but this year it was especially difficult. But the image that is my favorite was one taken in Tulamben in Bali.

Jeff Mullins, with whom I took an underwater photo course, pointed me in the direction of this Coleman Shrimp. Fortunately, it all seemed to come together on this shot.

Posted Image

I hope everyone gets to capture many wonderful images in 2009. I look forward to seeing them here in this thread at the end of the year :lol:

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#172 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

I dont now, please, help me

Carlos,

Maybe this will help you:
"Photo" = 1
"Photos" = more than 1 :lol::)

Great shots, though.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#173 lauritzenc

lauritzenc

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

0035.jpg

Here's my offering - November 2008 at Tulamben, Bali. Mantis Shrimp with clutch of eggs. No post editing yet.
Nikon D2X, Subal housing, 105mm Nikon lens, Inon Z22 Ringflash, F18@250.

more on www.scubasnaps.org

Cheers,
Chris.
Chris

www.scubasnaps.org

#174 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2054 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:42 AM

Well. I meant to do this a couple of weeks ago, but have been distracted by a nationwide outbreak of coughs, snuffles and other diving-incompatible symptoms (not that I have been "dry": I have done four dives in water of less than 5 Celsius, 'though none were terribly attractive).

My favourite, but too reminiscent of Alex's post 9 pages ago:

2008_St_Abbs_2008_288.jpg

So, in the spirit of cheating, I offer this, a shot that I have wanted to take ever since I first read about the limestone fascination of Palau:

2008_Palau_023_Blue_Holes_12_24mm.jpg

And, in parting, a real cheat, being a composite of two images from the same (cold!) dive before the holidays:

Guildenburgh_1208_18_compos.jpg

Happy New Year!

Tim

:lol:

#175 MattDPG

MattDPG

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Traveling, Basketball, Food, Wildlife photography

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hope I'm not too late, but here are my favorites. Both were taken on my editorial trip for DivePhotoGuide.

Portrait of a blue ribbon eel in Bali
Posted Image

Bumphead parrotfish in Borneo
Posted Image

#176 kitty

kitty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'm going to cheat and submit 3 not good shots, but is a tale of 2 sharks that made 2008 memorable - Diving one of my favorite sites in Key Largo, at a site called Anchor Chain, I noticed the tail of a nurse shark sticking out of a large reef. I moved closer to get a better look. The shark was half in the rock with just its tail sticking out, its head stuck way up in the reef, just sleeping or resting or whatever it is that nurse sharks do when they stop swimming. I took a couple of shots, but you know, how interesting is a sleeping shark's tail? I moved around the rock, looking for a shot of something else.

As luck would have it, another nurse shark swooped right over my head at a pretty fast clip, and it made a wide circle of the rock. Yep, it surprised the bejesus out of me and so yep, I missed the shot. I figured if I stuck around it would do another pass maybe and sure enough, the shark came back and did another sweep of the rock. This time I got a shot. It kept circling a few more times, I got a few more shots, and then he (assuming it is a "he") swam over to the hole occupied by the other shark, and just stopped, laid down in the sand and then tried to wiggle into the hole with the other one.

I don't know whether it was a male interested in a female, or just wanted to share the same cozy spot the other shark had, but there wasn't enough room for both of them.

Definitely not my best shots of 2008 but definitely one of my most memorable dives of the year. :lol:

Attached Images

• tailshot__1_.JPG
  • Cruiser__2_.JPG
  • not_enuf_room__3_.JPG

Edited by kitty, 03 January 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#177 KimInNB

KimInNB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I haven't been on this forum in a long time, but my 2009 resolution is to get back in the water more often and WITH MY CAMERA!!

I've had a couple of bad years diving. In 2007 I decided to take Deco training with an instructor that absolutely killed my love of diving - couldn't teach his way out of a bubble!! And made everyone feel incompetent. And in 2008 a friend/dive buddy died at the surface - pre-existing medical condition that wasn't known about.

Needless to say, diving hasn't been at the top of my list lately. But I did manage to get to Cozumel for a week and I have to admit that there's nothing like a newbie to help you see what is so awesome about the underwater world! They get excited about sand for god's sake!!

So here's Carmen, who asked me to take a photo that would include her new dive watch so she could show folks at home. Thanks to Carmen for helping me see what I was used to in a whole new light.
Posted Image

And then I remembered the wonderful peacefulness of it all - just the deep blue. Not a great photo, but one that speaks to me.
Posted Image

Canon S2 IS, Ikelite 6140.02, Inon UWL-100 WA Lens & Ikelite DS-125
www.pbase.com/kiml

#178 Kevin Woo

Kevin Woo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

Qinling lenok (Brachymystax lenok tsinlingensis)

Posted Image

#179 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

Wow, a Lenok Trout - very rare! And what a beautiful shot Kevin - great.

James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#180 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

This is one which typifies my 10 year old son's 'coming of age' as as a competent diver and photographer. His Xmas present wish list included a Canon G9, Ike housing, a suite of INON glass and a pair of Z-240's. Who was I to deprive him of such discerning ambition? His next trip is St. John's and the northern wrecks...

Attached Images

• EPV0149.jpg

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230