#1 TeemuS

TeemuS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Sailing

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to update my 350D to 50D. I'm planning to buy S&S MDX-40D. What would be the right ports for:

1. Canon EF-S 60 Macro
2. Canon 100 mm Macro (usm)
3. Sigma 17-70
4. Tokina 10-17 FE

Thanks,

Teemu

#2 bacripe

bacripe

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

Teemu -

On the Sea & Sea website, there is a "system chart" which shows lens/port combinations for their housings - I can't seem to link to it, but it's right on the front page of www.seaandsea.com.

There are a number of choices for macro, between the compact macro ports and the larger ones. I have the NX custom macro port, which I use with the 60mm without an extension ring, and the 100mm with an SX extension ring. There are other combinations - those have worked for me so far and limit the number of ports you have to carry.

I haven't used the Sigma 17-70 - I'd call one of our sponsors (Reef Photo or Backscatter) and ask them about that lens.

For the 10-17, I've used it both with the NX fisheye dome (acrylic) and the optical glass dome with an SX extension ring. I've been told that the glass dome is the best for this lens. I like it's more compact size for travel, but you have the make the glass vs. acrylic decision for yourself. Optically, it's better than the acrylic dome, but it's not a difference that I think a lot of people will notice.

Good luck - the MDX-40D is a great housing. Have fun!
Brian Cripe
Canon 1DmkIII, 1DsmkIII

#3 omiksemaj

omiksemaj

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

The direct link to the current Canon Digial SLR chart:
http://www.seaandsea...on_digital.html
Current System:
MDX-40D Housing with Canon EOS 40D
NX Zoom Port
EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM II
TLC Arms, 2x 8"-8"
Dual YS-110s

#4 rorzmoore

rorzmoore

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:04 AM

The Sea & Sea system chart is good but it seems that there are other combinations which can be used,
I.e. on the DX D80, one can use (I think) the NX fisheye dome with the Tokina 10-17 whereas on the chart it says that you can't.
Is anyone else using this port/lens combo?
Rory

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hi,
As Rory says the Sea & Sea chart is at best confusing. Highly recommend you call and talk to one of the sponsors that carry S&S and get their insight. I use the NX Fisheye dome with SX Extention for the Tokina 10-17mm and it works beautifully. I did it originally so I could use the longer extention and the dome for the Canon 10-22. It really pays to talk to the folks who do it everyday.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 TeemuS

TeemuS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Sailing

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Thank you all.

By the Sea and Sea -chart and discussion on this forum I have decided to go on with following ports:

1. Canon EF-S 60 Macro - NX Standard flat port
2. Canon 100 Macro - NX Standard flat port + SX extension
3. Sigma 17-70 - Optical dome + SX extension + extension ring 40 + zoom gear
4. Tokina 10-17 - Optical dome + SX extension + zoom gear

Hopefully these ports will work nicely. My target was to have minimum amount of ports and accessories for these 4 lenses. I think two ports and two extension rings and one focus gear will be acceptable when traveling by plane.

Teemu

#7 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Teamu, Your port & extension ring selection looks good. May offer one piece of advice. I went round and round with Sea and Sea about the zoom gear for the 17-70 (non-HSM) I'm not sure which you have, but I'll tell my story anyway. Some at S&S say that that lens is not supported, which I know is rediculous. Then I got some one who finally knew the zoom gear for a Nikkor 18-35 (56350) was the correct one.

It arrived, I tried the zoom gear and it didn't fit! I immediately called our local S&S rep. He had no really good answer for me except to return it and pay an additional restocking fee. He still didn't know which gear to get that would fit. The deal here is that on the lens is a little lock switch to stop the lens from zooming. Well, that same little switch stops the zoom gear from being able to fit on the barrel of the lens.

I was left with two options: 1) Return the zoom gear, 2) keep the gear in case it would come in handy in the future and cut a notch a couple of millimeters in to the ring so it would it over the lock switch. I'm still looking for a good way to get it done professionally.

On a side note, the same zoom gear that you use for the 10-17 (Canon 16-35, #31114) will fit nicely over the lock switch of the 17-70. Just use a little tape on the barrel of the 17-70 to build it up a bit to fit snuggly. Even the fluffy side of Velcro will work.
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000