• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

My needs: I will be freediving exclusively - so I need something small - will shoot available light almost all the time.

My budget is thin at best but here are the choices I'm looking at:

Olympus:
E-520
Olympus 9-16 lens
Olympus PT-E05 Housing with Dome Port

Nikon:
D60 Body
Tokina 10-17
S&S RDX-D60 Housing
S&S Dome port

Canon:
Canon XSi Body
Tokina 10-17
S&S RDX-D450 Housing
S&S Dome Port

I'm having to piece this together as the funds come in - any thoughts on one of these setups? I'm kind of leaning towards the Nikon D60 option, although Olympus has my interest but not sure on how image quality compares on the 4/3 format versus the other two setups. The Canon seems overpriced for an entry level camera body. The other lens I am looking at is the Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 lens as a second one for above water if I go the Nikon or Canon Route. Olympus is more limited but has some options worth looking at as well.

Once I decide on the body - everything else is pretty much determined based around that decision.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

How about a used Rebel XT or XTi and used Sea and Sea housing? You can get the combo for <$1000

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

How about a used Rebel XT or XTi and used Sea and Sea housing? You can get the combo for <$1000

Cheers
James

Got any leads an that kind of setup? I'm more than interested in finding such a setup :)

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:46 AM

There have been a bunch on Ebay lately and a few here in the classifieds. Just keep your eye out.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Seatool seems to make the smallest of the housings i have seen.

They have one for the 450

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

You can learn all you want about the 4/3 here. www.fourthirdsphoto.com The bottom line is its tough to beat on price. The area the camera may struggle for you is higher ISO's. IMO as an owner ISO 1600 just isn't that usable on the camera unless you're happy with smaller prints. ISO 800 is about as far as I push it topside. Of course being a scuba diver, I use strobes so underwater I'm never above 100. As far as image quality goes, I really doubt you'll notice much difference between any of the entry level cameras. I hope this helps.
Gary
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter