14 replies to this topic

#1 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

SEA&SEA is developing new MDX housing for Nikon D700.
http://members.seaan...column/220.html
Dark-blue colored MDX-D700 is limited-production model and has two fiber-optic cable sockets.
You can choice ergonomic grip or Grip-Stay L.
SEA&SEA start to accept orders for MDX-D700 in Japan.
MDX-D700 is scheduled to be available next spring.

Yoko in New York
Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#2 sharkegg

sharkegg

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I am waiting for the D90 Housing. Waiting for good news.

#3 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

What constitutes a "limited production model"?? Is S&S llimiting production to 100 or 1000 or 10,000. Or is "limited production" just marketing hype and bullshit? Doesw anyone actually believe that production will be limited in any way to other than as many people are willing to pay whatever price S&S is putting on it? Why can't we have a little less hype and a little more honesty in underwater photography products?

divegypsy

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

Divegypsy
I'm sure you know every manufacturer tries to forecast demand and order only as many as they think they can sell. No one wants to have stock of 100 cast aluminum shells for the XXX model lying in the warehouse because they overestimated demand.
So many manufacturers just forecast how much they'd make with a minimal production run for X (eg: 1000) number of housings for sale. If it sells out really quickly, they may consider making a second production run. Camera models nowadays last for a max of 2.5 years or so (less if you count the competition releasing new models). So limited production may be a bit cryptic, but hardly hype.
I mean it's hardly the business of the customer how many they make unless they are selling a commemorative limited edition. Limited production run means they are planning on making 1 batch of X amount. I see nothing wrong with that. What I do find interesting is that they tend to release the info to their domestic market first before the ROW. Even their own distributors around the world have no idea yet it pops up on their domestic website. I suppose for Sea & Sea, their domestic market is their biggest customer but it's a little short sighted to not worry about the other customers.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

the point I am making is that the manufacturer, in this cases S&S, has no intention to limit his production of the product. And intends to make as many as he can sell. So the housing is NOT like a fine art print where the artist guarantees that only a particular number will ever be produced. And thius calling the housing a "limited production model" is only advertising hype. You see the same baloney with various car models. And if you actually ask the dealer how many the "limited production model" is actually limited to, they cannot tell you because the car makeer will make as many as he can sell. So this "limited production" phrase is absolutely without honesty, only advertising hype designed to make the customer feel he is getting something special, that everyone else cannot.

divegypsy

Edited by divegypsy, 31 December 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

I see your point but I think you are being overly pedantic in your interpretation. In most cases for limited runs for special editions, the manufacturer will advertise a number... 10, 100 or 1000 to entice buyers for the exclusivity. (well in the case of the Ferrari Enzo, the original number of 350 was extended to 401, albeit the 401st one was built to benefit the 04 tsunami victims (strangely through the Pope?) Anyhow, the original 350 owners were not happy about the extra 50 built and with good reason, since their value dropped a wee bit)
However, "limited production run" in this case just means they plan on 1 batch of X number of housings first. They are not saying that there'll be no more ever built nor do I see the implication of such a statement in "limited production run." Perhaps I'm just more forgiving about such statements, but I don't see your grievance in the statement.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

This is great news....the sooner the better. More importantly is the Fiber optic connection! I hope they do this for future models.....I was planning to move to Nexus for my next housing just because of this...

Edited by eskasi, 01 January 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#8 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

I am waiting for the D90 Housing. Waiting for good news.

Hi sharkegg,

I have been got the infomation about housing for Nikon D90 from Sea&Sea staff.
Sea&Sea Japan doesn't decide to release the housing for NikonD90.
because, Many DSLR has been released for the last year.

Yoko
Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#9 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

What constitutes a "limited production model"?? Is S&S llimiting production to 100 or 1000 or 10,000. Or is "limited production" just marketing hype and bullshit? Doesw anyone actually believe that production will be limited in any way to other than as many people are willing to pay whatever price S&S is putting on it? Why can't we have a little less hype and a little more honesty in underwater photography products?

divegypsy

Sea&Sea released DX-S5pro as a "limited production model" at a time in the past.
but DX-S5pro is remaindered.
In japan, DX-S5pro was sold JPY 262,500 at fiirst.
but, Today, DX-S5pro is sold JPY 188,000.

#10 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

divegypsy

I am hearing this announcement is not for public but, to the dealers to find market demands & S&S is asking booking for 100.
It is new Sea&Sea since they merged with Sunpak & is smart business move to reduce the overhead and housing will available
through dealers for sometime.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#11 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Yoko
[/quote]

Yoko,

Are you saying that Sea & Sea will not make a MDX housing for the D90 or
are you saying that Sea & Sea has not decided, but may make a housing in the future?

thanks,
Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#12 Mariozi

Mariozi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Yeah...

Did they decided against building it?
or
Haven't they decided yet to build it or not to?

Anyway, thanks for the images
Marcelo Mariozi - UWPhoto.ae
EUPS - Emirates Underwater Photographic Society Member
Nikon D300 on Sea&Sea MDX-D300 w/ YS-110 (2x) & Nikon F80s on Sea&Sea NX-80 w/ YS-90 + YS-120 & Nikonos V
Nikkors 10.5mm/2.8, 10-24mm/3.5-4.5, 16mm/2.8, 14-24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.4, 60mm/2.8, 105mm/2.8, 70-200mm/2.8; Sigmas 4.5mm/2.8 8mm/4, Kenko PRO300 3x TC.

#13 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:43 AM

I believe that in real terms all new underwater housings are limited production models.

The days of cast or molded aluminium housings are gone - modern manufacturing techniques , rapid prototyping and multi axis / tool CNC machinery have made low volume machining a more viable option for manufacturers of niche products such as underwater housings.

The ability to tailor an actual production run to real market demands rather than anticipated is not to be undervalued and in the longer term will only benefit the underwater imaging community.

Better to lose a few R&D dollars ( or Euros / Yen ) than have significant capital investment in a pile of castings that have no demand.

My 2 cents - now back to the workshop to bolt together an even lower volume item - a 160 CI V-TWIN for the old bike :lol:

Edited by pmooney, 02 January 2009 - 03:44 AM.

#14 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:53 AM

That certainly is surprising to hear about the D90, given the high number of D90 sales especially in Japan. I would have thought that they would at least release an RDX version....

#15 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Yoko

Yoko,

Are you saying that Sea & Sea will not make a MDX housing for the D90 or
are you saying that Sea & Sea has not decided, but may make a housing in the future?

thanks,
Elmer

Hi Elmer,

I hope you will forgive me for being so slow to answer.
Due to Sea&Sea staff, they doesn't bring out your question.

However, Sea&Sea Japan has announced of the making the housing untill about
three months that released of the camera in a number of instances.

Yoko