What 15mm viewfinder?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Free diving, Spreafishing, Abalone hunting. Underwater Photography

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

I have been very fortunate to obtain a complete Nikonos V set with a 15mm lens.
The viewfinder that came with this set is a very big beautiful piece of glass that has to be "clamped" to the back of the camera.
As such is a very solid construction but it covers the viewfinder. So its impossible to read the exposure.

The set came with the Sekonic underwater light-meter, so I am able to measure the light manually.
My problem is that everything is very bulky. Since I want to use Nikonos V with 15mm to take ambient light B&W images of the reef while free-diving having a slime lined set-up is important.

I wander what other "Hot-Shoe" mounted viewfinders might be a good alternative. Please keep in mind that I don't have a lot of time to peek though a small viewfinder. Witch is also my concern regarding measuring the light. Using the internal TTL meter or good old fashioned manual light-metering?

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6176 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I always used the hotshoe one. it is meant for the newer of the 2 15mm lenses, do you have the old design or the new? sounds like you have the old one.

The hotshoe mounted one has a nice wide opening, no problem lining it up for quick shots. Cant go wrong with it

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

You are describing the viewfinder for the "old" style. The older lens, I believe, protruded further into the camera body. Cutting off the light meter. Not sure how to tell the difference in the two model lenses. I seem to remember that you bought the viewfinder separate from the lens. So someone might have put an old style viewfinder with the newer lens.

I use to use a sekonic meter with my Nikonos. Even though I had the new style lens and viewfinder.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply's :cry:

The lens is the newer style suitable for the Nikonos V.
But the viewfinder is what I think the "old style with the long bracket that slides onto the hot-shoe and clamps on the bottom of the camera with a long post that sits across the viewfinder...

Any opinion's about the Sea&Sea 15mm viewfinder?
There is currently one available on Ebay.

I have seen pictures of the Ikelite viewfinder witch has various masks for the different lenses. But I am questioning how well it will work...

As for the light metering.
Will the internal TTL do the job or is the hand held metering the better way to go?
Since my plan is to mainly shoot ambient light there is no worry about the flash with regards to its settings.

#5 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

Here is a link to pictures of some of the gear I recently acquired:
http://gallery.me.com/pa1zz#100483

Edited by Rogier Willems, 25 December 2008 - 10:33 PM.

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

I have used the Sea & Sea Optical viewfinder, the Nikonos new style, and the Ikelite viewfinder with masks with the 15mm. Although the Ikelite is not optical glass, it has parallax correction which is useful for Wide Angle Closeup. I didn't like the Sea & Sea. You have to be careful as there are two different Sea & Sea Models: one is metal, one is plastic, and old plastic ones often have cracks around the screw threads, which result in flooding. I actually preferred the Ikelite the best, as it seemed more accurate in framing the scene. TTL wasn't much use with wide angle; I used a strobe however. Pick up Jim Church's book on Nikonos; it is very useful for hints on ambient exposures with he 15mm. Have fun; the optics on the 15mm are really fabulous.
Cheers,
Marli

Edited by scubamarli, 26 December 2008 - 06:27 PM.

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Marli,

I have the book will read it :-)

#8 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Marli,

I have the book will read it :-)

Though I shoot digitally now, I haven't the heart to sell my new style Nikonos 15 mm lens. I bought it used and it came with old style of viewfinder. I also have the iklite viewfinder with masks. I sold the old v/f and purchased the new style Nikons v/f. I prefer it to the other two options. I have not tried the S&S viewfinder.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#9 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

I lived and worked on Bonaire for 5 years. The last two years of witch I only worked part-time and dedicated every afternoon to UW photography with my Digital SLR.
Unfortunately the camera passed away and I wasn't to fond of the Ikelite housing either. Now I live in California and don't have time / money to go on extensive dive trips in order to justify a new investment in a decent UW housing for my new digital SLR.

I have always' wanted to shoot wide angle ambient light B&W to capture the scenery. And the Nikonos 15mm is a perfect lens for this task :-)

Just a camera, lens and viewfinder with a bag full of Tri-X sounds soo much more appealing than a suitcase full of camera gear that I have to guard with my dear life while traveling ;-)

Hey I might pick-up an spare Body just in case... its a nice standby with the 28mm ;-)

Here is a link to see some of my Bonaire work:

http://gallery.me.com/pa1zz#100099

Attached Images

• Nikonos_V_with_Lenses_and_15mm_Viewfinder.jpg

#10 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

I'd use the old style viewfinder. I used it extensively with my new style (retrofocus) 15mm for years before switching to digital. The old style viewfinder is much more sturdy. The new style tended to wobble after a while.

Obviously you cannot see the tiny numbers in the camera viewfinder but you'll probably shoot manual anyway and you also have the external Sekonic meter which is much faster to use than the built-in one.

My 0,02$

Michel

I lived and worked on Bonaire for 5 years. The last two years of witch I only worked part-time and dedicated every afternoon to UW photography with my Digital SLR.
Unfortunately the camera passed away and I wasn't to fond of the Ikelite housing either. Now I live in California and don't have time / money to go on extensive dive trips in order to justify a new investment in a decent UW housing for my new digital SLR.

I have always' wanted to shoot wide angle ambient light B&W to capture the scenery. And the Nikonos 15mm is a perfect lens for this task :-)

Just a camera, lens and viewfinder with a bag full of Tri-X sounds soo much more appealing than a suitcase full of camera gear that I have to guard with my dear life while traveling ;-)

Hey I might pick-up an spare Body just in case... its a nice standby with the 28mm ;-)

Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#11 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Nice pictures Rogier. "Simplify, Simplify, Simplify, " I think Henry David Thoreau said that. One challenge of B/W underwater is definition is colors rendered to similar gray scale tone and the diffusion of water. You can get really close with the 15 mm, that lessen the later. In a workshop with Ernie Brooks III, he suggest under exposing and push processing B/W film. The increased contrast can be perceived and an increase in sharpness.

I have a Nikonos IVa that I used a backup for my V. I will sell it at a reasonable price.
Happy snaps!

Regards,
Bob

Edited by Deep6, 27 December 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#12 wus

wus

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, wildlife, culture

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the quick reply's ;)

As for the light metering.
Will the internal TTL do the job or is the hand held metering the better way to go?
Since my plan is to mainly shoot ambient light there is no worry about the flash with regards to its settings.

I made some nice ambient light shots with the built in meter, and wouldn't want to take an additional meter along. But, admittedly, I never tried. Used automatic exposure most of the time anyway. As you also wrote yourself, without the flash it's a real neat compact thing (although quite heavy, considering how small it is) to lug around, anything additional, even if just a Sekonic, adds at least some bulk.
leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories

#13 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

I made some nice ambient light shots with the built in meter, and wouldn't want to take an additional meter along. But, admittedly, I never tried. Used automatic exposure most of the time anyway. As you also wrote yourself, without the flash it's a real neat compact thing (although quite heavy, considering how small it is) to lug around, anything additional, even if just a Sekonic, adds at least some bulk.

I've been using a Nikonos III, with its old style 15mm lens and viewfinder, and Sekonic Marine Meter II for about 30 years. It takes amazingly beautiful photographs.. if you take the time to learn how to manually meter and focus. Yep, a little small, and negatively bouyant package, but simple, and works.