• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 panamax4

panamax4

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Im brand new to the forum and video and video editing. PLease tell me what you think and how I can improve, feel free to be brutally honest as this is my first ever video. Thanks in advance.

Edited by panamax4, 26 December 2008 - 06:34 AM.

#2 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:20 AM

Im brand new to the forum and video and video editing. PLease tell me what you think and how I can improve, feel free to be brutally honest as this is my first ever video. Thanks in advance.

Cool! The first thing you need to improve is post a link to the film :-)
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#3 panamax4

panamax4

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:55 AM

Sorry guys little late when I posted, link is there now.

#4 bfisher

bfisher

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

You want the good or the bad? I'll be nice. The content isn't too bad. Afterall, you can only video what you see. You had some good content. Color was good except for those open water shots of other divers. YOu need a red filter when shooting this, too. Only one or two places, but do not pan underwater unless it is doing so slowly or following a critter.

The editing: Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. Personally, the music was bad. Music should set the mood and mold into the scene. Harmonicas and country don't do it for underwater. In fact, there are very few vocals tht fit into the underwater world. Transitions are next. Don't get fancy. Good ole crossfades work the best for video. Slides? Do what you want. Major scene breaks? Fade to black and fade back into the next scene, with about a 5 second blackout between them.

Thi one of the problems with many editing programs. So many choices of trsnitions and such and we only need a half dozen at most. As I said. Keep itsimple for the sake of your viewers.

Overall, it was pretty decent for a newbie. Practice makes perfect. So when is your next trip.

#5 mshohman

mshohman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:52 AM

I liked the video. I think the color was just great. Buy hey, no video of Tomy? Now THAT would have been cool....
Nikon D300 in S&S housing and YS110 strobes...Nikkor VR105mm, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye

#6 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Working out, Fishing, NFL Football

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

I thought is was pretty decent for your first video. I did like the mix of still shots in with the video. But I would have to agree with bfisher about the music. Not at all what I would choose but understand that's just me and my likes. But it just didn't seem to fit.

I'm pretty new at this myself and have done three videos. Without a doubt the hardest part for me is finding the right music. One of my videos was about 5 hours worth of film condensed into a 30 minute video. It took me longer to listen to lots of music and come up with what I thought was the right combo than the editing did. Most all the music I use is instrumental also. Like bfisher said, it's hard to find the right vocals unless it's just a feel good Jimmy Buffet style of video.

But the bottom line is do what YOU like if you're not too concerned about what others think when they see it.

I'll be going to Bonaire in late February and although it will be my 7th or 8th time there, it will be my first with my video rig. Can't wait.

BDSC

#7 panamax4

panamax4

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the responses and pointers. I guess I should give some background on the video. The trip was a group trip I was leading, so while I agree the footage of people is the worst of the lot it has to stay. Is there any way for me to make that footage look better in editing? As for the music it was the only cd I could find as my roommate had all the cds with him out of town. Its so funny everyone had the same reaction to the music, when I finally found that cd all I could think was "seriously I'm gonna use folk music for a scuba video?". Honestly the music worked much better than I expected, but no I don't expect it will make the final cut. Mainly I was just getting frustrated with the results I was getting from my editing and wanted to get some help. Thanks and please keep the advice coming.

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hey David, Welcome to the field. You asked for suggestions so here goes.
Nice color on your shots.
Try not to hold your clips for longer than 5/6 seconds
Create a story with your footage, ask yourself What is the point of the film?
Use royalty free music.
Use lights on close ups; re: shrimps in beginning of film
Try not to use every transition available in your NLE..cuts and dissolves are the mark of a pro
Your stills are fine but do not make a point within the video.
Not sure what you are using for compression to upload but the footage seems to have a jerkiness to many of the clips.
Love the spotted eagle ray shot, keep in mind the rule of thirds when composing your shots.
Wonderful start to your new underwater video career .
Happy New Year-Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 panamax4

panamax4

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

Ok so after looking at what Ive got so far, many times, I noticed that I actually recorded all the video in hdv pf24. Premiere elements is only giving me the option to edit in hdv 16:9 30fps. Could this possibly be the reason for some of the problems Im having with my footage? If so is there a way to fix this?