Photo
- - - - -

Any suggestions for this banded coral shrimp?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

The poor little guy has been cropped, sharpened, saturated, leveled, contrasted etc. At least I didn't eat him for dinner. :cry: Any suggestions for improvement most welcome.
Posted Image
Ellen B.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hi Ellen,
You might try rotating the little guy. I used the LR brush to knock down the rock to his left about a stop and also darken the blown out purple in the bottm right corner. That would allow you to bring the whole image up in exposure. I think he pops a little more. Fun stuff, see what you think.

Ellens_shrimp.jpg

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for pointing out the blown out parts. I hadn't even noticed them. Did you increase the exposure? I'm not sure if you did or you were telling me what my next step should be. What is the way you prefer to correct hot spots? I usually select the hots spots then decrease the contrast/brightness. If you have another way to do this I'd like to learn other ways that may be better. Also, when you say increase exposure, how do you do that? I'm still pretty new to PS and I don't always understand terminology. Do you mean you would increase brightness or would you use curves? Thanks.

I don't know if rotating helps improve the image in any way. I kind of like the original because it looks to me like he's playing peek-a-boo that way.

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera, 26 December 2008 - 02:34 PM.

Ellen B.

#4 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

I like Steve's rotation. Now back off the crop a little on the left and I think you have a perfect rule of thirds going for you. Otherwise, great job on a rather tough guy to photograph. Most of the time I'm either too far, or two close. Or, I've blown out the white or underexposed the red. The only real good shot I got was when entering a swimthrough in Coz at 90ft. I turned to look for my wife and saw one floating down the water column...must've fallen from the cleaning station above.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for pointing out the blown out parts. I hadn't even noticed them. Did you increase the exposure? I'm not sure if you did or you were telling me what my next step should be. What is the way you prefer to correct hot spots? I usually select the hots spots then decrease the contrast/brightness. If you have another way to do this I'd like to learn other ways that may be better. Also, when you say increase exposure, how do you do that? I'm still pretty new to PS and I don't always understand terminology. Do you mean you would increase brightness or would you use curves? Thanks.

I don't know if rotating helps improve the image in any way. I kind of like the original because it looks to me like he's playing peek-a-boo that way.

Ellen,
You should keep it in the orientation that makes you happy. :cry: I was just offering alternatives to think about.
Yes, I increased the exposure about a half stop. I use Lightroom to do these simple kind of mods. It's so much easier than PS it's not even funny. In LR I used the adjustment brush and just "painted" on the lower exposure, took about 15 sec. In PS to do the same thing I'd use layers. Ellen you need to try out a copy of Lightroom. They have a 30 day trial if you want to play with it. ^_^

So Gary, did you get a shot of the free swimming shrimp? Sounds like fun.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 26 December 2008 - 05:14 PM.

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

I like the new fix, got lightroom and have no clue, is there lightroom for dummies?
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#7 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yes Steve...at least I think so. When I turned around and saw it, I raised the camera and got one shot off. I guess it is one of those shots where it looks so staged, that it is tough to explain...so I don't show it too much. There are some magical times underwater when you're in the right place at the right time.

Attached Images

• shrimp_in_space_WP.jpg

Edited by ce4jesus, 26 December 2008 - 08:28 PM.

Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#8 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

Ditto on liking Steve's rotation. I think the composition of the image is improved. As Gary mentioned, the rotated image has the perfect rule of thirds going for you.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#9 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

That is one amazing image. You're not kidding when you say you were at the right place at the right time :cry:

It is so out of the ordinary to see the critter in the open ocean that it really pops! Well done!

Ellen

Edited to add: I meant to post under ce4jesus' post and was referring to his image.

Edited by ornate_wrasse, 26 December 2008 - 08:52 PM.

D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

There are some magical times underwater when you're in the right place at the right time.

Amen Ellen, brilliant shot Gary!

Scott, I've read every LR book I can find and it was still much easier to learn by watching the videos on Adobe TV. They are in pretty short 5 to 20 minute segments so I can follow them.
Check this one out, Julie shows the new features in the Develop module
http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f1512v1405

Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#11 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:49 AM

great steve, thanks for the link. that should help!
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#12 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

Yes Steve...at least I think so. When I turned around and saw it, I raised the camera and got one shot off. I guess it is one of those shots where it looks so staged, that it is tough to explain...so I don't show it too much. There are some magical times underwater when you're in the right place at the right time.

Oh my. What an absolutely gorgeous shot, Gary. Now I hate mine. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will give Lightroom a shot. As if I didn't have enough to do. :cry:

Scott, I have some photoshop books and while they are really helpful, I also find that watching videos is a better learning technique for me.

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera, 27 December 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Ellen B.