Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

I have just purchased a new pc and TFT monitor ( samsung syncmaster H220 ) and am now looking for a calibration kit to adjust the colours. I have read that the Spyder is a good tool to use for calibration. I have looked at the spec for the Spyder2 express and it states that it is for calibration of CRT and LCD, no mention of TFT. Does anyone know if the Spyder2 express will work with TFT or is there another option available for TFT.

Thanks in advance, Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:30 AM

yes: tft is a type of lcd....

I use a spyder2 express on my 20 inch dell screen. There is however a newer version (spyder3) available...
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

yes: tft is a type of lcd....

I use a spyder2 express on my 20 inch dell screen. There is however a newer version (spyder3) available...

thanks for the speedy response, i will be heading to jessops now to get one. I see that there is a Spyder3 out but it is twice as much money.

All the best and thanks for your info, Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:13 AM

The Spyder 2 sensors can go bad. My first one kept giving my screens a magenta hue. It was only after I used a friend's Spyder 2 sensor did it look ok. I sent it back to Colorvision and they sent me a new sensor.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

The Spyder 2 sensors can go bad. My first one kept giving my screens a magenta hue. It was only after I used a friend's Spyder 2 sensor did it look ok. I sent it back to Colorvision and they sent me a new sensor.

my screen come with a magenta hue, that is why i was looking at the spyder2 express. I will go and get it and see what happens. if its pants then it can go back to the store and i will look at other options.

#6 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

my screen come with a magenta hue, that is why i was looking at the spyder2 express. I will go and get it and see what happens. if its pants then it can go back to the store and i will look at other options.

I Just boug a Huey Pro for colour calibration as my old Spyder has given up the ghost. it is great as it sits by the monitor updating the colours depending on ambient conditions, which is very useful.

Tristan

PS only 99 from teh apple store in West Quay.

Edited by Tjsnapper, 04 January 2009 - 04:40 AM.

No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#7 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hi Stew!
I would agree with Tristan and suggest Huey due to the continuos updating - really convenient. Many of the printingindustrys designe teams use this, so it should deliver.
Scubamoose
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#8 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi Stew!
I would agree with Tristan and suggest Huey due to the continuos updating - really convenient. Many of the printingindustrys designe teams use this, so it should deliver.
Scubamoose

this one it is then

cheers for all the info guys. stew

#9 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

this one it is then

cheers for all the info guys. stew

No worries, that is what we are here for :dancing:

Tristan
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#10 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Just bought a Spyder 3 Pro and ran it on my laptop and desktop LCDs. Best I can tell it warmed both of them up a bit and dialed the saturation WAY up, to the point where my pics look almost luridly colored. But I did recently get a print of one (macro shot of a calla lily, nothing worth posting here, more of a sentimental thing related to a relative passing) and have to admit it does match the print much better, especially on the desktop monitor which is a fairly wide gamut. Not currently using the 'continuous monitoring' feature of the SW, and in fact tend to kill the taskbar process rather a lot when not editing (gotta strip down the system for gaming, ya know.... :huh: )

The Spyder 3 pro does have the continuous monitoring and ambient functions, but I'll admit I'm not using them. I'll probably just recalibrate before any lengthy processing session on new shots.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#11 Maarten_NL

Maarten_NL

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

I bought a Spider2 for 50 on ebay... It gets my Dell laptop w/ ultra sharp screen pretty close to my printshops' Eizo :huh:
UW Setup: Canon EOS 50D / 60mm Macro f2.8 / Tamron 17-50 f2.8 / Sea&Sea YS27DX / Seatool housing

#12 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

I have Colormunki Photo on the way...

It was a little cheaper getting it on my son's educational license from software4education.com so I sported myself a copy of Nik Dfine too! I'll be using it to calibrate a couple of large Hanns G screens attached to my PC, a smaller Sampo monitor on my son's computer and the LCD on my Toshiba laptop. I photo print on a Canon Pixma using HP Premium photo paper (which is a BOGOF at Tesco at the moment). I'll post how I get along.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230