• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Digital Rookie

Digital Rookie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 09:39 AM

Several of you provided suggestions when I posted on the scubadiving bulletin board so I am sorry if I repeat myself here. I recently bought an Oly 4040. Am waiting for the Ikelite housing to arrive. Am still troubled by the strobe question. Have considered the DS-50, the DS-125 and the Sea & Sea YS90dx. The Sea & Sea sounds nice but I am not sure I want to be in manual all the time. I know the DS-50 doesn't have adjustable power in manual which is a downside but I am guessing that until I become more than a "Rookie" I won't be doing much of my shooting in manual mode. Then I hear that the DS-125 still has a few bugs to work out.

So, I finally think I am decided on the DS-50 and then I see that there is a remote sensor and a synch cord.....just another question.....

I am a relatively amateur photographer who has played around with film underwater point & shoots. My main interest is creating photographs and slide shows of trips I take.

Thank you for your help, suggestions and thoughts.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 10:23 AM

With your Olympus camera, you cannot use a 5-pin Sync Cord. You are limited to using the Ikelite Digital TTL sensor or the Sea and Sea with Fiber Optic Cable.

HTH
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Digital Rookie

Digital Rookie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 08:11 AM

Thanks....I must admit to having a hard time with this decision. One day I am convinced I am going to get the DS-50. The next, I am convinced of the Sea & Sea. Then the DS-125 catches my eye. And then finally, the Sea & Sea YS-25 DX makes me think I could get two of them and I wonder how that would work. Maybe I should go to the Caymans and take a class with Cathy Church to try out different solutions....mmm...wonder how that idea will go over at home (Buy a bunch of camera stuff and you have to go tothe Caymans to learn how to use it.....:))

#4 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 08:13 PM

I like Cathy and Herb alot, and have taken classes there and buy a good deal of my equipment from them, but don't go there with the idea that you are going to get unbiased evaluations of what's on the market.

The presentation you will get is that what Cathy and Herb sell is the best that is on the market, period end of sentence. Now, maybe that is because they have tried everything and decided to sell what they believe in, or maybe what they sell is what they can get through the distribution channels available. If you do what you have said, you will probably end up with a YS-90DX (which, by the way, is what I would suggest and on top of that, I bought mine from Herb).

Don't be afraid of the YS-90DX manual control. If you can use a household dimmer switch on an overhead light, you can use a YS-90DX.

One more thing, if you decide to buy something, and you are going to the Caymans, if it is something available from Cathy Church, I would strongly suggest that you wait to buy until you get there. Their prices are great, and you can touch and feel before you hand over your plastic. Also, there is no sales tax. E-mail Herb with what you are considering, and he will tell you if he has it in stock.

#5 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 02:32 PM

If you get the ikelite ds 50 and sensor, it will work great. No manual exposure mode needed. I've been using it with the G2 for about 60 dives, and been quite happy. The power and size are very good, for the price.

If the ds125 had been available at the time, I would have gone straight for that.

I'll get the ds125 next. I often shot a non digital ikelite 50 and 200, with a housed film slr, and liked the differential lighting.

Though, the ds125 is so nice and small, I may just get 2, and sell the rest.

Actually, if I were you, I'd go straight for the 125, if I could afford it, now.

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave