Free diving / snorkeling with 15MM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Free diving, Spreafishing, Abalone hunting. Underwater Photography

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

Grrrr,

After many posts and emails where I have constantly stated that I wanted to FREEDIVE with a Nikonos V and its famous 15mm lens.
I just got of the phone with Bob Warkentin from Southern Nikonos Service Center who told me that its not a good idea to do this. Unless I cradle the lens and body between my both hands in order to keep pressure on the lens in order to keep the seal in place until I pass 15 ft or so. Well this is not practical when not on scuba. So I have to give up on this idea.

Bob recommended me to use the 20mm.

Pfffff, wish I had known this from the start.

Hopefully this advice will show up in Google for the next one who is planning to do the same...

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi

I used to snorkel with whales with the 15mm and Nikonos V and never had any problems with it, we would be mainly on the surface and then a little free diving, the only times we were careful was getting in and out of the water.

The 20mm is also a good lens but it is a shame they are saying not to take the 15mm in this way.

Good luck for your shooting

Karen
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I'd agree with those above. I shot many, many images while snorkelling with the 15mm. It is a great perspective for shooting in the shallows.

Nikonoses just seem to flood more than other underwater cameras, unfortunately.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Grrrr,

After many posts and emails where I have constantly stated that I wanted to FREEDIVE with a Nikonos V and its famous 15mm lens.
I just got of the phone with Bob Warkentin from Southern Nikonos Service Center who told me that its not a good idea to do this. Unless I cradle the lens and body between my both hands in order to keep pressure on the lens in order to keep the seal in place until I pass 15 ft or so. Well this is not practical when not on scuba. So I have to give up on this idea.

Bob recommended me to use the 20mm.

Pfffff, wish I had known this from the start.

Hopefully this advice will show up in Google for the next one who is planning to do the same...

Well I know Bob W. He will err on the side of caution. I couldn't hurt to "seat" the 15 mm before your first descent, but will the difference in descent rates between SCUBA and free diving be a problem? I donít think so. I did not get the 15 until after I stopped free diving. Plenty though with the S&S 20 on a VIa or V; just squish and go until I ran out of Ö whatever. YMMV
Regards, Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#6 Rogier Willems

Rogier Willems

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Free diving, Spreafishing, Abalone hunting. Underwater Photography

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

I have mounted the 15mm on the body and wiggled it.
Its appears to be limited and one would have to be pretty rough to tilt the lens. Think that having a good fresh "O-ring" in place is key.

The lens I have appears to be in great shape. Doe it make sense to have it serviced as a preventative maintenance?
Bob told me they have to hack-saw the knobs of in order to open the lens. This operation is quite expensive $226 + $60 and I am wandering if this is really necessary.
Or should I just go for it and spend the money if it floods...

#7 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

....After many posts and emails where I have constantly stated that I wanted to FREEDIVE with a Nikonos V and its famous 15mm lens.

Might be just a coincidence, but the only Nikonos V flood I ever had was snorkeling with the 15mm lens. It was in Antarctica, so the cold might have contributed....

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#8 jaqtayl

jaqtayl

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

I have "flooded" a few Nikonos Vs over the years but not because my 15mmm lens fell off. Have many years experience photographing whale sharks and Dugongs, while snorkelling. The biggest risk is losing the viewfinder if it not securely fastened ( Have been there)

They usually "flood' because a nebulised spray of water gets past the O rings in the shutter release mechanism, due to salt build up. It is very hard to adequately wash this part of the camera.

Geoff Taylor

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

In my past life I free dove many times with the 15 mm lens on a Nikonos. I found I got the best free diving shots if I used the 28 mm lens though.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#10 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

The 15mm Nikonos lens mounts to the camera the same way as the 28mm or 35mm lenses (and I assume the 20mm and 80mm, although I don't have those lenses).

The only difference I can think of is that the 15mm is a bigger diameter than some of the other lenses, so it might take less force to rotate it enough so that it could come all the way off. I

If this is a real issue, it should be fairly easy to make a bracket that screws to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera and which would bump into the aperture knob if the lens ever started to rotate enough to fall off.