• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

This is an "HDR" made from 3 bracketed exposures (+2,0,-2) on a tripod with the Nikon 70-200VR and the D700. I processed the RAW files in Lightroom, exported Tiffs to Photomatix, processed with the "HDR Details Enhancement" tone-mapping workflow, imported the result back into Lightroom for local adjustments - mainly burning and dodging to smooth exposure artifacts from Photomatix - and exported JPEG.

Hopefully, I'll get underwater again soon!

Posted Image
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

The closest I've come to getting "underwater" lately

Ice diving it looks like :good: Nice job on the shot very cool look...

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

Hey Jeremy,
One of the things I like about the HDR tone-mapping process is the texture introduced into these wooden buildings. Similar to that other shot you posted a while back
It looks like fairly flat lighting, could you have achieved the same result with one image or was there too much DR for one image?
Can you post the original normal exposure?
Jeff
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hey Jeremy,
One of the things I like about the HDR tone-mapping process is the texture introduced into these wooden buildings. Similar to that other shot you posted a while back
It looks like fairly flat lighting, could you have achieved the same result with one image or was there too much DR for one image?
Can you post the original normal exposure?
Jeff

I knew you were gonna ask that! I considered adding the "best' single exposure shot in anticipation, but then figured I'd just wait for you to ask ... :good:

I'll link to high-rez copies of the HDR and the best single exposure shot - which happens to be the +1 EV and was not actually used to make the HDR.

The light was very flat and the snow was falling hard. This is an example where there is some "hidden" dynamic range/contrast at a very localized level that can easily be "revealed" using something along the lines of Photomatix's "details enhancement" ... Whereas some HDRs can easily be replicated with a graduated filter on the camera or in post as there is a clear split between dark and light areas, in cases like this, with textured surfaces like wood grain and bark (and coral landscapes...), I often get striking results by combining three bracketed exposures. The detail reveled in the wood makes the image pop nicely. I printed an 8 x 10 and the detail just shines. This may end up as a very large print.

I got a pretty good result from the +1 with a bit of work, an exaggerated tone curve and other basic Lightroom tweaks ... but I still like the HDR better. Maybe someone more skilled than I in PS could get a better result from the single exposure than I.

HDR:
Posted Image

"Best" Single (+1 EV):
Posted Image
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

Yeah, I agree that there is more depth in the building detail of the HDR image as well as in the snow detail; my only question is whether a similar result could be obtained with a single image HDR process, vs 3 images in a situation like this where all the highlight and shadow info is likely contained in a single image. Helpful when you don't have bracketed images to use.

Edited by loftus, 08 January 2009 - 06:21 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, I agree that there is more depth in the building detail of the HDR image as well as in the snow detail; my only question is whether a similar result could be obtained with a single image HDR process, vs 3 images in a situation like this where all the highlight and shadow info is likely contained in a single image. Helpful when you don't have bracketed images to use.

Also ... because I used three images where background details were occluded differently by the falling snow I got better detail "behind the storm" and the snow blurred nicely.

Perhaps I could have achieved the same thing with a slower shutter .. but I don't think so.

Tonight I can see what I get when I push and pull the +1 EV RAW file and make three different tiffs from the same file and process with Photomatix.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#7 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

That was an unlikely title from one working on Wall Street. :good:
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Tonight I can see what I get when I push and pull the +1 EV RAW file and make three different tiffs from the same file and process with Photomatix.

I have tried that a bit in Photoshop but it did not really work and making a semi-HDR from one file (at least the files I tried it on, just a couple) also did not seem to work as well as three seperate files. I am not sure if I used one RAW file though like that. Maybe I will test that out.

There is still something about that HDR image of the barn that appeals to me and I cannot put my finger on it. It seems to remind me of a certain series of photos or an approach...just cannot remember. (Not that it is the same photo, it is the vibe of the photo.)

#9 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

I have tried that a bit in Photoshop but it did not really work and making a semi-HDR from one file (at least the files I tried it on, just a couple) also did not seem to work as well as three seperate files. I am not sure if I used one RAW file though like that. Maybe I will test that out.

There is still something about that HDR image of the barn that appeals to me and I cannot put my finger on it. It seems to remind me of a certain series of photos or an approach...just cannot remember. (Not that it is the same photo, it is the vibe of the photo.)

I think you need the extra "headroom" of the RAW to make the "three files from one" work ... and, in general, the shot should be "Overexposed" (ETTR) for best results.

Craig has made the point - and I agree with him - that if there is value in this technique it indicates shortcomings in RAW converters.

I haven't yet managed to get a better "print" by using this technique versus careful RAW processing and post-conversion PS work. I have managed to get lots of interesting "prints" using bracketed shots.

Edited by jeremypayne, 08 January 2009 - 01:23 PM.

Jeremy Payne
My Website

#10 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

That was an unlikely title from one working on Wall Street. :good:

Funny ....

Here's a good "finance" joke I just heard ... I believe it was a Jay Leno line originally ...

"I bought a toaster the other day ... and they gave me a free bank!"
Jeremy Payne
My Website