1 reply to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

"What do I charge for XX use for XXXX time for XXX publication/website etc?"
This is an important question that pops up frequently by many members who have been approached about their images. This thread and its links will attempt to give you a rough idea on pricing, invoicing and legal documentation to protect the photographer.

Pricing:
The biggest online pricing websites for images is :
http://www.alamy.com/

http://www.gettyimages.com/

You can find similar photographs and fill in the criteria and it will come up with a pricing for the image. It's very simple. Please note however, that this pricing info should merely act as a guideline. You'll see, different photos on the same subject have different pricing. If your picture is rare and unique (yes we all think ours are but let's get real!), then obviously it's worth more, especially if the person wanting it is asking you for it.

Terms and Conditions/ Invoicing:
A good resource for the photographer is the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP). Here, one can find templates for invoicing for images sold and even assignments. Obviously, it is American centric with the legal information but it is a good guideline for basic terms and conditions. It is very important you check your local laws regarding rights of photographers, claims courts etc.
ASMP Legal Resources

I'm sure the professionals who have been at this for awhile will chime in to give more advice but this should get anyone who is interested in finding out about pricing and legal documents a start.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Updated with Getty.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.