Available light shots

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#161 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:15 AM

^ What the ****? Spam?

Well these two are available light. Canon G10 in OEM housing. No filter.

You're lost, little girl
Posted Image

Domain
Posted Image

#162 Nahm

Nahm

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

I cannae see your images - where are they???

#163 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

I have been doing some experimenting with available light using the D2H (not too great at high ISO) and a fast lens, a Sigma 20/1.8 set at maximum aperture.

Previously I experimented at this location and time of year (November) with UR filters but they overshoot the WB. It is very blue not only because of the water but because the light is indirect. The valley floor and stream do not get direct sunlight once the water is clear enough to shoot in (air needs to be freezing; very turbid in summer with glacial sediments). I did WB in post using LR3 (beta 1). I de-saturated the top part a bit using the grad tool. The white spots are air bubbles as the location is downstream of a short falls. Fish size ranged from about 30 to 80 cm in length. Species are Dolly Varden and coho salmon. The bottom on the far side is 4 to 5 meters away.

Exposure was at ISO400, f/1.8, 1/250.

Attached Images

• _D2H8053_copy.jpg

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#164 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

Here is another example using the Sigma 20/1.8 at maximum aperture, also with the D2H. I used motor drive mode set at 4 FPS (the camera can do 8 but then one has a lot of pix to sort through!). This tributary is relatively clear in summer but does have some tannins. Direct sunlight through clouds. Aperture priority, 400 ISO, 1/500 s.

I used a Seacam wideport with 30mm port extension tube for this shot as well as the one in the previous posting.

Attached Images

• _D2H5032_2.jpg

Edited by Tom_Kline, 14 December 2009 - 02:22 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#165 Jonny_A

Jonny_A

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Here is another example using the Sigma 20/1.8 at maximum aperture, also with the D2H. I used motor drive mode set at 4 FPS (the camera can do 8 but then one has a lot of pix to sort through!). This tributary is relatively clear in summer but does have some tannins. Direct sunlight through clouds. Aperture priority, 400 ISO, 1/500 s.

I used a Seacam wideport with 30mm port extension tube for this shot as well as the one in the previous posting.

That is a killer shot, the wide angle and aperture gives it a unique look for underwater.