Homemade ring-flash

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi Alex!
Maybe a dumb question, but just in theory: would it be any point of trying to build a ringflash with only one strobe, placeing it on top of the lens? Or is it certain that it wount give any decent results? :blink:

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#42 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

I think that a one strobe solution could work well. I find that when I turn off one strobe on my system it makes little difference to the direction of the light - only the intensity is less.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#43 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

I think that a one strobe solution could work well. I find that when I turn off one strobe on my system it makes little difference to the direction of the light - only the intensity is less.

Alex

That sounds really promising Alex!
I have one Ikelite DS-160, so it's not the weakest strobe out there.. I think I try to build one and see how it works out. Thanks alot Alex!!

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#44 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

An update. I took Ring Flash version II to Sardinia and was pleased with its performance. I still believe it only suits certain subjects, but it is a nice option to have when you have a specific shot/subject in mind.

This image amused me, because you can see the ring flash reflected in the eye of this Peperoncino (triplefin).
_ATM2574_crop.jpg
Not that I think that this is a particularly good effect.

Here is the whole frame:
_ATM2574.jpg

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#45 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

I have been waiting..but no one has said it...how could they not?...

It all looks.. well.. DUCKY!

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#46 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hey Guys,

My new home made ring flash is ready!!! The only thing I still have to figure out is how to bring it underwater.....^_^:)^_^

Check it out: www.haringphotography.com/blog/?p=7

I use it with a Canon 85mm 1.2L and 35mm 1.4L on 5D.

I absolutely love it!

Enjoy!

Please leave comments about your experiences and how I can improve it!

Otto

#47 Neopreneninja

Neopreneninja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, UW-Photo, Freediving, Bubble Diving, sailing and above Water Photography...

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hi Alex!

As allway's your post's makes good reading and a insperation...I find it soo cool that you Pro-Guy's also are in to DIY...

I "HAVE TO" DIY as I ussualy can't wait till I get the money...and I'd rather use my money on new linses, Strob's etc...

Great Photo's and superbe exampel's..so I HAD to try it out my self...

I too have made a UW-ring flash one a totally different scale as I'm a P&S guy.

Using one Fantasea Nano slave Flash and a Ikea 9"(app.18 cm) lamp...other than that it's the same bacic idea!

After seeing your pic.'s...I can't wait to try it...

One question...why did you decide to use two srtobe's ?? the DIY I've seen on youtube use's only one!

....Happy Hunting....
No Bubbels No Trubbels...

#48 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

One question...why did you decide to use two srtobe's ?? the DIY I've seen on youtube use's only one!

Power really. The ones on YouTube aren't having to work in water.

Alex

#49 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

Here are some recent images with the ring-flash.

Italy:
Posted Image

Canada (you can see the ring reflected in the eye on this grunty):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alex

#50 Neopreneninja

Neopreneninja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, UW-Photo, Freediving, Bubble Diving, sailing and above Water Photography...

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Alex!

As a newcommer to serious UW photografy I lack the expirence...so it's SUPER nice having you Pro guy's!!

I still haven't tried my tiny set up UW...

But as I'm ordering the new SubSea linse from REEF and it's still not in...I might just go a head and buy a seckond Fanatasea Nano...

Thanks again Alex and keep up the good work!

Jesper
No Bubbels No Trubbels...

#51 mborosch

mborosch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Alex
I've been watching this thread for a while, nice job! As you know I'm light control freak on the surface, I just need to perfect it underwater. I'm planning on making a ring flash once my YS-250's get here (back ordered). What's the inner surface of your ringflash, white or silver? Silver should not require as much power, but would produce greater contrast and maybe more specular highlights as apposed to a white interior that would require more power with a softer light. How much power are you using on your strobes?

I'm thinking of a little bit more of a custom job and making it out of fiberglass, any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark
========================
Mark Borosch
Mark Borosch Photography
www.markborosch.com

========================

#52 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

I've been watching this thread for a while, nice job! As you know I'm light control freak on the surface, I just need to perfect it underwater. I'm planning on making a ring flash once my YS-250's get here (back ordered). What's the inner surface of your ringflash, white or silver? Silver should not require as much power, but would produce greater contrast and maybe more specular highlights as apposed to a white interior that would require more power with a softer light. How much power are you using on your strobes?
I'm thinking of a little bit more of a custom job and making it out of fiberglass, any thoughts?

The first version of my ring-flash had a silver reflector, but in sea water this quickly discoloured (not ideal), the Mk2 version (which I used in Italy and Canada images above) has a white reflector, which is seawater resistant!

I think that this idea can be much better refined for underwater use - I hope you build a fibreglass one for Cayman. I just don't have the engineering skills. I have so many ideas for underwater photography kit, but not the ability to build them... At least the ring-flash was within my DIY ability.

But do consider that the ring-flash is not the best solution for macro lighting. It is ideal for a few subjects, but much of the time it is the wrong lighting.

Alex

#53 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:12 AM

But do consider that the ring-flash is not the best solution for macro lighting. It is ideal for a few subjects, but much of the time it is the wrong lighting.

Alex

Have you tried to use ring-flash as a fill only adding an additional strobe as a key light source? It may produce really nice effects.

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

Have you tried to use ring-flash as a fill only adding an additional strobe as a key light source? It may produce really nice effects.

Marcell

Hi Marcell,

Thanks for a great suggestion. I know that is how they are used in the studio sometime.

At the moment I only have 2 Inons (which are going through the ring flash) and would need 1-2 more for this. Also I will need some Y cables to fire them. I will give it a go if I can borrow some strobes, cables etc.

Alex

#55 Packhorse

Packhorse

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Very nice.
I made myself a LED based light ring for macro lighting. Probably not as powerful as twin strobes but it does have the benefit of lighting the subject as I compose the shot.

#56 jpomerantz

jpomerantz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Hi Alex,

Any update since '09? Just found this post - I use Ike flash but am interested in the concept.

Jay

http://www.bluewaterprism.com
Canon 7D/60mm & 100mm Canon macro or Canon 10-22mm w/a + Ikelite DS-160 x2/Ikelite housing/ULCS arms

#57 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hi guys,

Here it is painted and mounted on the port.

Steve, it will only fit on Subals (old style ports too), but I am happy to lend it out on the workshop if it works. Of course, it may not. In which case it can be obtained for free from the nearest skip.

Alex

I love creativity!!!