• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

Oops forgot to add the photos...

I came across tiny shrimp on a nepthya soft coral and have still not got a decent crustacean ID book.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else seen one of these, does anyone have a better photo as mine isn't so good!

Thanks

Attached Images

• ga_shrimp.sp.jpg
  • ga_shrimp.sp2.jpg

Edited by Graham Abbott, 13 January 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#2 Bargibanti

Bargibanti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:53 AM

Oops forgot to add the photos...

I came across tiny shrimp on a nepthya soft coral and have still not got a decent crustacean ID book.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else seen one of these, does anyone have a better photo as mine isn't so good!

Thanks

Hi Graham,

take a look here:
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=24233
http://underwa.ter.n...p;g2_itemId=833

beo

#3 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi Graham, ive seen this shrimp in 2005, and we have a lot of photos of it. We found it in Wakatobi. I was never able to get a proper ID. I believe I asked on here, but I cant find the thread right away..

Here's one of the images from our wakatobi gallery:

Posted Image
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

I've not see it (in real life) before. Its cool.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

My shrimp guys, Sammy & Art, have yet to see an actual specimen. One says it's a Dasycaris species, the other is a species of hippolytid. None of the images so far have shown the details they need to see to be sure.

#6 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, that looks like the one! We'll have plenty of time to go in search of other unusual critters soon hey! I take it you've seen the other one that lives in the Xenia?
Thanks
Graham

Hi Graham, ive seen this shrimp in 2005, and we have a lot of photos of it. We found it in Wakatobi. I was never able to get a proper ID. I believe I asked on here, but I cant find the thread right away..

Here's one of the images from our wakatobi gallery:

Posted Image

#7 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

Yup. Sammy thinks there's likely to be a whole suite of species hiding under the name Hippolyte commensalis.

#8 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Leslie, Thanks for the update on this! Please see the new topic about a few other shrimps I haven't got ID's on.

Yup. Sammy thinks there's likely to be a whole suite of species hiding under the name Hippolyte commensalis.