• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Alberto Montovani from DiveNav will be the speaker at the OCUPS meeting on January 13. DiveNav is a company that is developing online virtual dives of many dive sites around the world on their website at http://www.eDiving.us. They started off the coast of California with Ship Rock, Bird Rock, Veteran's Park, Avalon Dive Park, and many others. They have also created virtual dives of the Yukon in San Diego, the Felips Xicotencatl (C53) in Cozumel, and are working on finishing the USS Spiegel Grove.

The virtual dives are very interesting. I have dived Ship Rock a hundred times but found things in the virtual dive that I never knew were there. The wreck of the C53 is right on. I'm planning to use it to brief the photographers coming to my February Cozumel workshop to point out to them which areas of the wreck are less photogenic and where to spend more bottom time. From what Alberto has told me about his plans, eventually we'll be able to input our own comments and upload photos to specific areas of the virtual dive. Kind of like a 3D underwater Google Earth.

Its certainly not as good as the real thing, but for those snow-bound divers who are stuck at work, it might be a nice break from reality.

All are invited to attend.