• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 btroxell

btroxell

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

This weekend I dropped my dome port and got a nasty scratch in it. I read the post about sanding the scratches out but started thinking about first filling the scratches. No body has mentioned (maybe that should be my first clue) filling in the scratches to minimize the amount of sanding/material removal. Cyanoacylate (Super Glue) bonds well with acrylic but Iím not sure about its optical properties and some things I read say that when cyanoacylate gets cold, its bonds weaken and can release.
So my question is, has anybody first tried to fill in scratches before sanding them out and, if so, what has been their experience been?

Ben

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

I am not really sure of the refractive index of that stuff or how it behaves over time.

Myself I would want to try a long term test on a sample piece of materiel.

If it not a HUGE scratch in acrylic / polycarbonate I would go the usual abrasive route, to be honest it works pretty well but is a bit tedious.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 bandit

bandit

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

CA glue is not 100% waterproof. It will dissolve over time.

#4 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Muck diving

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

When I got my first Aqautica housing I didnt realise how close I was to some coral with a wa lens and badly scratched my dome.
I was going to buy another (didnt know about polishing) when a mate of mine said clean it as well as you can and try it, as the water 'fills in' the scratches. I did this and found that although it looked bad out of the water it made no difference that I could perceive in the water or in the slides.

I sold it some time ago and the guy who bought it has published some of the shots from this scratched dome.
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.