• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeepDiscovery

DeepDiscovery

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 12:27 AM

I have a question concerning the view through the current prosumer DSLR view finders. Given the fact that the view finder is cropped to account for the reduced FOV, is it difficult/impossible to see the entire scene being photographed while looking through these view finders with the camera in a housing?

The point of the question is whether or not the e-1 will likely have a more easily viewed scene given that it is supposed to be a full frame/view camera. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge of a comparison between housed 10d/d100 and E10/20 view finders?

Thought I had made up my mind to go with the canon 10d but now wondering what the e-1 will offer...assuming that L&M will upgrade thier E10/20 housing to accommodate the e-1.

Geez...will this waiting game ever end???

Thanks for any help/opinions offered.

Bill Spadie

Bill Spadie
Canon 5DIII, 17-40 f4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro
Aquatica 5DIII, YS-90DX(2)
www.wespicsphotography.com

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 07:10 AM

The D100 has a viewfinder that's corrected for the crop. It's marginal in the S&S housing but pretty good in the Nexus due to the two-piece magnifier. It's not glorious like in some film cameras but it is usable.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 09:55 AM

The viewfinder on the D100 is not cropped/masked. It is specially designed for the smaller sensor.

The viewfinder on the S2 IS masked so it is not as big as the D100 viewfinder.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:34 PM

IMO, with an AF camera, it is most important to be the whole frame in the viewfinder (inside the housing) even if it is small. This way we can compose our pictures correctly and let AF worry about the focus. Some housing viewfinders are setup to magnify the centre of the frame, while cropping the corners, and I think this is a major disadvantage.

Different housings have different solutions for view finders and this is one of the most important things to invesigate when looking for a housing for a DSLR. You must be happy with your housing because it will affect every picture you take. And remember to take your face mask with you to the shop!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 DeepDiscovery

DeepDiscovery

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 12:55 PM

10d/D60 users, what is the view through your viewfinder like? Can you see the entire scene when you camera is in its housing? Which housing are you using

Bill Spadie
Canon 5DIII, 17-40 f4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro
Aquatica 5DIII, YS-90DX(2)
www.wespicsphotography.com

#6 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:22 AM

I've got a D60 and the S&S housing. The viewfinder on the housing definitely leaves something to be desired, since it clips the corners of the viewfinder on the camera, so you find yourself moving around a bit to see if everything is in the frame. That being said, after using it for a few dives, you don't notice it quite as much. Or, I don't notice it as much any more, but I've never used a better SLR housing so I guess ignorance is bliss...

Tom