• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gwkraft

gwkraft

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi to all! I'm fairly new to underwater photography and want to broaden my horizons a bit towards video. Many of the housings I've seen for consumer-grade cameras use a mirror to bring the side-mounted viewfinder image back to where it can be seen behind the camera. Are there any cameras that will reverse the viewfinder image so that aiming is more intuitive? I did try a topic search but didn't come up with anything - a point in the right direction would be most welcomed. Leaning towards Canon HDV but am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

#2 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hi to all! I'm fairly new to underwater photography and want to broaden my horizons a bit towards video. Many of the housings I've seen for consumer-grade cameras use a mirror to bring the side-mounted viewfinder image back to where it can be seen behind the camera. Are there any cameras that will reverse the viewfinder image so that aiming is more intuitive? I did try a topic search but didn't come up with anything - a point in the right direction would be most welcomed. Leaning towards Canon HDV but am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Ikelite does but only with specific Sony models. Like their HC7/9 series housing. http://www.ikelite.c...o/sony_hc7.html Only works with Sony though as they have the proper electronics/connector. And there's a downside, I don't have one but I've read of difficulty reading the names on the buttons when the image is reversed - someone posted thay had to un-reverse it to use the touchscreen easily, then reverse it back again to pan. Or something like that...

There are other options also. The TopDawg and the L&M Stingray have a monitor back as does the entire Amphibico EVO line. Equinox sells a monitor back as an option afaik. Gates allows you to open the camera LCD fully inside the housing, Ocean Images does also with their HC series housing. Except for the Equinox, almost all of these are Sony-specific housings since they're electronic.

#3 gwkraft

gwkraft

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Ikelite does but only with specific Sony models. Like their HC7/9 series housing. http://www.ikelite.c...o/sony_hc7.html Only works with Sony though as they have the proper electronics/connector. And there's a downside, I don't have one but I've read of difficulty reading the names on the buttons when the image is reversed - someone posted thay had to un-reverse it to use the touchscreen easily, then reverse it back again to pan. Or something like that...

There are other options also. The TopDawg and the L&M Stingray have a monitor back as does the entire Amphibico EVO line. Equinox sells a monitor back as an option afaik. Gates allows you to open the camera LCD fully inside the housing, Ocean Images does also with their HC series housing. Except for the Equinox, almost all of these are Sony-specific housings since they're electronic.

Thanks for the quick reply. Didn't know there were so many options available! Got plenty of homework to do now!