Photo
- - - - -

Has your photo been stolen?? See this album...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

So you are saying we are all to blame for having photos stolen because we post them on the internet? How stupid is that?

I suppose I'm to blame for having my car stolen because I bought it, too.

I'll spell out the point I was trying to make:
People no longer perceive photographs to have any value.
Like your car (if it's a gas guzzler) it'll be worth nothing soon so someone might borrow it. Do you leave it unattended in the street? Well you wouldn't leave a French impressionist painting in the street would you?
(Maybe this line of thought is getting too esoteric!)

Edited by John Bantin, 01 February 2009 - 01:14 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#22 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

The bubbleshare page seems to have been removed. I dont know what others did about it, but I ended up emailing not bubbleshare, but the PR manager of their parent company. Aim high :(
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#23 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'll spell out the point I was trying to make:
People no longer perceive photographs to have any value.

I am not to blame for that. Other people can use whatever excuses they want but the victim is not to blame, the person who takes another's work is.

It read to me like the complaint was that you were no longer overpaid for work because images are easier to come by. I don't see how that's related to intellectual property theft nor do I see it has my "fault" in any way. In fact, I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe if no one created competition then your earning power would be preserved, right?

I'll mention that web pages are designed to crosslink and linking to another person's image is not automatically wrong. Presenting that work as your own is. It is preposterous to suggest that photographers encourage such theft by sharing online.

Well you wouldn't leave a French impressionist painting in the street would you?

That is nothing like what is occurring online.

Yes, I leave my car unattended on the street. Everyone does from time to time. It's called parking. I've had two auto thefts in my life; both were in public garages with full time security. Neither were my fault.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries