• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

Anyone know anything about Werner LED lights ? There is a video on Vimeo comparing to halogen lights. Interesting light ring around the port. Can't understand what they are saying, but it looks like the LED is comparable power wise, but with a cooler color as expected. I can see he is talking about editing, possibly color correction or shadowing on the lights ?

http://www.vimeo.com/2946352

http://www.werner-light-power.de/

Edited by ronscuba, 26 January 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#2 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hey Ron,
The light ring looks very interesting indeed.
I was able to use the google translator for their website, but it sure would be nice to understand what he says in the video.

I would love to try one of these out. It would be interesting in a macro setting.
Joe Holley

#3 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

Getting rid of the arms definitely cuts down on the bulk. Although I know some people like them to create different lighting angles. Did the translator show anything about lumens or price ?

After seeing this video, I did a little searching and found this:

http://www.mainlandm...om/ledmart.html

LED lights including ring style designed for pond or fountain lighting. Werner used 36 LED's. Some of the ring lights on this link have 120 LED's. Wonder how deep these things will work ? For $129 I might do a little experimenting.

Edited by ronscuba, 27 January 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

It does look very cool...

Bugger I can't speak German either!!!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Getting rid of the arms definitely cuts down on the bulk. Although I know some people like them to create different lighting angles. Did the translator show anything about lumens or price ?

Nothing about price but it lists
1300 lumen for the 36 version
650 lumen for the 18 version
Joe Holley

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

€689 for the 36W LED
€159 for the battery (LiMn)
€67 for charger.

Haven't seen the video but ring lights are pretty limiting in terms of placement. Also diving in turbid water you get backscatter and every light seeking critter in front of your lens.
Dimensions are:
90x45x32mm
It may not fit many of the ports that are out there.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Good points, but they also have LED light panels on arms. It's just nice to see other underwater LED lights besides L&M.

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Actually there are quite a few manufacturer of LED lights for u/w use. L&M is just the best marketed due to high profile users. They were the first to mass market a LED system. I really can't remember who started first but yes there are quite a few LED video lights manufacturers. The biggest problem they have is getting an even wide beam over 80°. The nature of LED is better for spot lighting, which also has its uses.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

The guy I dived with had 4 LED lights but I cannot remember the name of them..... but they were blue in colour. :lol:
I'll ping him and email for the brand.

I grabbed one and shone it onto a dark wall, pretty easy to see it was not an even spread of light.
In fact a good test it to point any light at a wall from about 1.5 meters away, if it's not an even spread then it may not be good for video.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Yeah all of the LED lights presently available need some sort of diffuser to even out the beam. But you'd lose like 1-2 stops of light to diffuse them properly. And no one would pay thousands of dollars for dim light.

Drew

#11 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

the latest with LED Video lights is obviously Subtronic. See the report from the Boot-show at Digideep.com

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#12 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

I think harald at Seacam is working on a HDI light system for stills and video

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#13 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

Can we put together a list of manufacturers ? It will be nice to know the alternatives to L&M. When I saw the price of LED lights for submersible fountains on that site, I figured there has to be a less expensive alternative to L&M. LED lamps with wet connects to a canister battery would be great. That would make the lamps interchangeable with halogen and HID.

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

I think harald at Seacam is working on a HDI light system for stills and video

High Dollar Item? :lol:

Can we put together a list of manufacturers ? It will be nice to know the alternatives to L&M. When I saw the price of LED lights for submersible fountains on that site, I figured there has to be a less expensive alternative to L&M. LED lamps with wet connects to a canister battery would be great. That would make the lamps interchangeable with halogen and HID.

WP's DEMA coverage is probably the best source. Takes a bit of research but it's there.

Drew

#15 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

High Dollar Item? :lol:

The third certainty in life... death, taxes and Seacam's top dollar prices :)

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#16 Art99

Art99

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hi
I have a few comments which might be useful. Although I too do not read German, I do have technical expertise in LED lights; I developed a LED videolight L&M upgrade (www.FTechX.com) that is fully compatible and wet pluggable.

The specs for the Werner LED ring lights are pretty straightforward. The LED R 36 consists of 72 individual white LEDs which collectively emit 1300lumens requiring an input power of 15.6watts ( 10.8V and 1440mA ). With the smallest Werner battery (112mmX62mmX31mm; 10.8V ; 1.6Ah) the burn time at full power should be about one hour. The spec sheet suggests that the 1300 lumen output is equivalent to a 100Watt tungsten lamp. This may be a bit aggressive but not wildly so (assumes 13lumens/watt for tungsten).

One open question is how the 75° angle is determined. The Werner light uses the natural focusing of the LED plastic lens AND appears to have these lenses in direct contact with the water. Under these circumstances, the effect of the plastic lens is reduced. (Try wearing your eyeglasses underwater without a mask!) Werner may have compensated for this effect for the reported measurement but it is not footnoted in their literature. IF the reported measurement was made in air then the angle in water would be significantly increased because the lens will NOT be as strong and the brightness will be weaker because the light is spread out further. I’ll discuss this effect in a future Technology Blog (www.FTechX.com).

I hope these comments help.

Art99
art@FTechX.com

#17 Werner LED

Werner LED

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:freelancing photographer with studio in Frankfurt am Main Germany http://openeyeffm.de

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

Hello everybody,

finally I found my way to here to you. May I indroduce myself, my Name is Ralf Werner, the son of Mr. Dieter Werner, who invented the Werner LED Lightsystems.

I see here are a lot of questions, thats why I am glad to tell you, our website is now also in English also at http://werner-led.de/e_index.html

Hope this is a help to figure out your questions, if you have any question about our LED system please dont hesitate to contact me. I will do my best. By the way,very soon we are going to supply bigger LED Ring sizes for the Werner RingLED 36W and the RingLED 54W with 3 rings of leds.

regards

Ralf 

#18 photorandy2011

photorandy2011

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Where can you but the Werner led ring lights? And how much do they cost in U.S. dollars?