• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

My DAN dive cover has just come up for renewal.

Previously I had the "Master Membership" level of cover which is now 139 Euro.

Looking at the cover differences between this and the "Basic" cover level ( 68 Euro ) I am at a loss as to why I previously opted for the higher level of cover.

It seems to me from the table that the only differences are in parts of the 'peripheral cover' such as the loss of dive gear after an accident, civil liability etc.

Or did I miss something big ?

To be honest I am triggered to look due to the GBP vs Euro exchange rate which as this is priced in Euro means that my 'buy price' is a lot more than last year.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#2 AdamSkr

AdamSkr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

I just renewed mine about two weeks ago and after a bit of deliberation I did go for the master membership. The main reasons for this are the significantly higher civil liability cover and the permanent invalidity (knock on wood) cover. I have read of cases where dive masters on a boat got sued (just due to level of training) over accidents even if they were not involved in training or guiding at the time, just for being on the boat it seems, hence, I thought the additional liability cover may be worth the extra 50 euro. I have not actually renewed my DM membership with PADI for this year as I do not get involved in training but I thought it's best not to take any risks.

Apart from the increased coverage in the above mentioned areas the differences between the two packages do seem to be marginal.

Adam.

Edited by AdamSkr, 29 January 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#3 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Adam - tricky call in this brave new litigious world.

Having said that if the wheels come off, depending where you are the lawsuit is likely to be for 200,000,000 than 2,000,000!

Paul C
My Pictures

#4 AdamSkr

AdamSkr

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks Adam - tricky call in this brave new litigious world.

Having said that if the wheels come off, depending where you are the lawsuit is likely to be for 200,000,000 than 2,000,000!

Paul C

LOL, with that many zeros behind the number the insurance will not be of much help either way. :lol:
Seriously though, I do not really see a law siut such as I have described above happening anywhere outside the US, and although the US is not in my travel plans for this year it just provides a little comfort zone in case i renew my PADI membership and take one of my instuctor frineds up on their offers to DM for them. If it was not for that i would have most likely gone for the basic cover. It all depends on what kind of diving you do I guess.
Again though, having said all that, for the past year and a half i was not insured at all as the centre i tend to dive with has club coverage, only renewd as im planning a dive trip next month. At the moment considering options for camera equipment insurance - funny how it is cheaper to insure yourself than it is to insure your camera. So if the s**t hits the fan, save the camera even if it will get you bent???

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

So if the s**t hits the fan, save the camera even if it will get you bent???

So true!!!!! LOL...

Also remember with DAN cover they will only cover you to the depth that you are certified to (I believe)... so no punching out 50m dives if your an ADV OW diver :lol:

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

so no punching out 50m dives if your an ADV OW diver

So it is "keep the camera" and ditch the dive computer for sure then - OK think I have got that. :lol:

Paul C
My Pictures

#7 gavinparsons

gavinparsons

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:sharks, cetaceans and anything unusual

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:11 AM

I saved money and got better cover with Dive Master Insurance. 76 for its IDEC policy that covers me in the UK and abroad - can't argue with that! Their equipment cover is pretty good too :lol:
Gavin Parsons
Photojournalist
BDMLR Director
All round nice bloke

#8 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hi all,

I know I will probably be gutted in this....

DAN is not an insurance company. Many of us take on DAN membership purely for its insurance benefit, but it is important to remember that DAN is a charity that works to try and make things safer for all of us divers. When you take diving insurance from XYZ insurance, the people who benefit are XYZ's shareholders (which may be you, in which case good luck!). When you become a DAN member you are practically supporting a diving safety organistion that has directly supported research into things like asthma and diving, deep stops, malaria prophylaxis, PFO, diabetes and so on. This is largely funded by membership fees.

So consider it a charitable conribution towards your health and welfare as a diver, which has insurance benefits!

BTW, the situation within the UK (assuming you are resident here) is that the National Health Service will pay in full for whatever treatment/evacuation you require. This would include exceeding your training in terms of depth etc. Any insurance company that claims this as a benefit is either ignorant, or employing some misleading marketing!

Just my thoughts....

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#9 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

I know I will probably be gutted in this....

Don't see why mate - you make a very valid and correct set of points.

Absolutely agree with you Adam, I am only looking this year as the price of the Euro Vs Pound has changed somewhat, also my personal circumstances are changing - there are tough economic times incoming for many of us.

In common with a lot of people I am having to watch what I spend and where I spend it, unfortunately that includes charitable donations - I have not stopped giving money but I am targeting much more carefully where it goes.

Paul C
My Pictures