• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richneely

richneely

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

I am heading out to the Cayman Islands in april and I've been looking at Advanced Diver Magazine's 2009 Photo Week, aimed at CCR/Tech OC/ and OC divers. I've got around 1000 dives experience with a Sony Cybershot/Sea&Sea YS110 set up, and since leaving my job as a dive guide I've been able to do around 25/30 dives with my D200/Aquatica/DS-125 setup. I have been happy/ecstatic/surprised/confused/disappointed/frustrated with my results, and I would love to spend a week on a 'proper course' with some pros and experienced phtotgraphers, and now perhaps I have the chance.

I guess in all I'm looking at spending $3000 if I do it. Before I commit, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of any previous ADM photo weeks. If so, can you tell me if I would fit in as a recreational BSAC OWI/PADI MSDT. I see that there will be several competitions, but I can't tell how much educational time (classroom etc) they offer.

I'm just starting to look into it, as I decided to travel just last night. Any pointers to other photo courses around that time would be much appreciated. I don't have to go to the Caymans, I'm based in Sacramento, California, anywhere warm will do.....

Thanks in advance
Even if I did own 'lots of glass' I'd never be t**t enough to tell you.

#2 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can highly recommend the Digital Shootout in Bonaire this year, www.the digitalshootout.com. I did it this past June, my first workshop after getting my dslr rig and I learned a ton. In addition to great instruction, the boys from Backscatter will have all sorts of gear to demo if you like. Also, just got back from a workshop with Dr. Alex Mustard which was amazing, so I can highly recommend his trips as well.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#3 kathymm

kathymm

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

Rich,

Although not a week-long warm water photo seminar, the Northern California Underwater Photographic Society meets sort of close to you and has several very good educational seminars planned for this year starting out with Berkley White from Backscatter in February and Jack and Sue Drafahl in March. Check the NCUPS website (www.ncups.org) for more information.

I would agree with Phil also about the Bonaire Digital Shootout. Although I have never attended I know many uw photographers who thought it made a huge difference in their photography skills.

Jack and Sue Drafahl run photo weeks and are great teachers also, not only with photography skills but with Photoshop and Lightroom also. http://www.jackandsuedrafahl.com/

Best,
Kathy
http://www.divermaiden.com
Nikon D300 with 60 mm & 16 mm lens, SEA&SEA Housing, Sea&Sea YS110 Strobes