Photo
- - - - -

Why Cant you use film lenses on Olympus DSLR's?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Muck diving

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

I am currently looking for a 50mm macro lens for my Olympus E-520. There are several 50mm macro auto focus lenses for film cameras. They seem to sell for about $150 in Australia a new lens is approx $750.

Does anyone know why you cant use these film lenses? I know you can use Nikon standard lenses on digital slr's.
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Older Olympus lenses relied on mechanical linkage for transfering aperture value and the autofocus approach of the last 35mm camera they did was, to say the least, short of the mark, it is always a bold move for a camera maker (or housing manufacturer for that matter) to switch lens mount, it can set you ahead of the competition in some case or leave you with a bunch of very unhappy user. In the case of Olympus, theyre was nothing to loose, former AF products being of such poor performance, they were better of to cut off the past and start with a clean slate, which they did and it has proven a wise move from their parts. All their current optics are optimized for digital photography, unlike the two big boys Canon & Nikon which have a long list of 35mm lenses that fit but do not perform that well on digital sensor, notably the wide angles.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#3 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Olympus does sell the MF1 adapter ring for OM manual focus lenses but as Jean has said why would you want to go backwards. Some of the Manual OM lenses are quite good but the Zuiko digital lenses are much better and the 50 mm macro is as good as any made. You may want to watch fourthirdsphoto.com buy/sell forum where I have seen several macro lenses for sale in the past.

Phil Rudin

#4 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Ardy,
Fork out the extra cash for the 50mm macro 4/3 lens. You'll be glad you did.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter