13 replies to this topic

#1 DavidG

DavidG

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hi Everyone,
I'm planing a trip to the Philippines and I was considering buying a new lens for this trip.
I already have the old Nikon 105 mm, Sigma 50 mm and Tokina 10-17 mm. I'm looking for a lens that I can use for macro and wide angle during the same dive. I read about the Sigma 17-70 mm macro and looks like a very interesting lens.
Does anyone use this lens underwater? it is worth it?
Thanks for your help
Subal ND20, Nikon D200 and lots of water to photograph.

http://www.worldofoceans.com

#2 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hi! Check out this discussion and post:

http://wetpixel.com/...m...st&p=200068

I'm sure there are some others ... try a search.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#3 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hi! Check out this discussion and post:

http://wetpixel.com/...m...st&p=200068

I'm sure there are some others ... try a search.

Dave,
Be sure to check out with your Subal dealer whether or not the Sigma 17-70 HSM lens can be fitted to your housing. The zoom ring diameter may be too large.
R/ Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#4 BrantD

BrantD

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Dave,
Be sure to check out with your Subal dealer whether or not the Sigma 17-70 HSM lens can be fitted to your housing. The zoom ring diameter may be too large.
R/ Bob

Personally, I have and would recomend the 17-70 Macro for underwater, not the HSM. It is alittle weak at both ends but still a good underwater choice.
Brant

#5 mshohman

mshohman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

Personally, I have and would recomend the 17-70 Macro for underwater, not the HSM. It is alittle weak at both ends but still a good underwater choice.

Why not the HSM?
Nikon D300 in S&S housing and YS110 strobes...Nikkor VR105mm, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:34 AM

There have been many threads on this lens. The best advice with it is to use it for what it is best for - don't use it to try and cover both wide angle and macro - as the results will not be as good as true wide angle or true macro shots. It is great for marine life from larger sharks, dolphins turtles to schools of fish and individual fish portraits.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#7 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

This was my first time out with this lens and was still trying to figure out extension rings. Following shot on a D200 behind a 9.25" dome. As others have said good "don't know what you will see" lens.

No crops here, some have some minor healing and all have been Smart Sharpened 1pixel 58%.

Shot at 70mm, dome maybe 4" from subject
Posted Image

Shot at 70mm, dome about 9" from subject. Subject maybe 2".
Posted Image

Shot at 17mm
Posted Image

Shot at 19mm
Posted Image

Edited by NWDiver, 07 February 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#8 Julio Díaz

Julio Díaz

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

I just get it, maybe tomorrow I will use it, in my opinion it could be a good lens for travel...I hope I do not made a mistake

#9 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hi Guys,

I was waiting for this thread to run its course before hyjacking it "slightly". . . .

Has anyone used the Sigma 17-70mm macro behind a FLAT PORT ???
I am interested in this lens' actual macro capabilities?
I have little/no use for the wide-angle ends of things, but the 50-70mm end could prove useful.
Thanks for taking the time guys,

Bruce. . .

#10 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

I use this lens mainly between 24 and 29 mm for mantas and sharks. I am not too impressed with it at both ends 17 or 70.
If you were to use a flat port I'd use a proper macro lens instead. My 60mm is far sharper than the 17-70.

#11 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hi Bruce,

I haven't tried, but I might give it a go, I'll let you know. Someone did comment on this a few months ago when I was asking about this lens, might be worth doing a search.

Of course, you don't get 1:1 macro with the sigma, but it could still make for a fairly flexible macro lens.

Hope you're not in the burnt out bits of Victoria mate.

Cheers,

Ryan.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#12 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving:)

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hy guys

So I searched the forum trying to find has anyone sorted out zoom gear for Sigma 17-70?? I have S&S housing with 40mm ext. ring and fisheye dome port but I cant find zoom gear for that Sigma! can anyone help me with that? Thank you
Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Underwater Abyss -

- Vimeo Channel -

#13 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

I have found that the S&S ring that fits the Tokina 10-17 fits but I needed to add a 1/2" rubber band to the barrel to make it nice and snug. The S&S gear says it is for a "Cannon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Zoom Gear". Also have a F.I.T. gear for the "Tokina 10-17mm" that is same I.D. but not quit as long. Between the two I prefer S&S on the 17-70. Think it would work for you.
Steve

"Hy guys

So I searched the forum trying to find has anyone sorted out zoom gear for Sigma 17-70?? I have S&S housing with 40mm ext. ring and fisheye dome port but I cant find zoom gear for that Sigma! can anyone help me with that? Thank you"
[/quote]

#14 JERA

JERA

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

I have found that the S&S ring that fits the Tokina 10-17 fits but I needed to add a 1/2" rubber band to the barrel to make it nice and snug. The S&S gear says it is for a "Cannon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Zoom Gear". Also have a F.I.T. gear for the "Tokina 10-17mm" that is same I.D. but not quit as long. Between the two I prefer S&S on the 17-70. Think it would work for you.
Steve

Thanks for this. I an using the lens but don't have a prober zoomgear for it. I will try this ríng and adapt it for the lens. :)
Ths lens is ok and I use it with the compact dome port.

Edited by JERA, 09 April 2009 - 11:22 AM.