• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hi Guys, I'm a surfer/surf photographer and I've been shooting land based surf photo's for a while, over here in the UK. I've recently purchased a Sea&Sea DX1G to try my hand at water based surf photography. Just wanted to try it out before shelling out for the expensive gear for my dSLR! My problem is this. The majority of breaks I surf are heavy beach breaks. There is no channel to paddle out in, no point to jump off into the water, and no jet-ski's to get me outback. So I'll have to pay my dues duck-diving with everyone else. I was planning to leash my camera to me with a body-board wrist leash, but any ideas for a waist-pack or similar style harness that can hold the camera while i'm paddling out? Trying to duck dive while holding a camera seems like a recipe for disaster? I've been looking for ages on the net and can't seem to find anything suitable to keep my hands free on the long paddle out. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:56 AM

Adrian, I dont shoot surf (yet...) but the camera harness I made for snorkle snapping may work for you.

From a dive shop I purchased a length of 25mm webbing, a 25mm D ring and plastic slide and two 25mm fastex clips. I arranged the webbing to pass around my chest, cross over my back and over each shoulder in a continuous loop. The two fastex snaps act as 'breaks' for ease of donning and adjustment. The D ring and slide act as the attachment point for the camera which I secure close to me with either a double bolt snap or a cord leash.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

Adrian, I dont shoot surf (yet...) but the camera harness I made for snorkle snapping may work for you.

From a dive shop I purchased a length of 25mm webbing, a 25mm D ring and plastic slide and two 25mm fastex clips. I arranged the webbing to pass around my chest, cross over my back and over each shoulder in a continuous loop. The two fastex snaps act as 'breaks' for ease of donning and adjustment. The D ring and slide act as the attachment point for the camera which I secure close to me with either a double bolt snap or a cord leash.

HTH, Tim

Thanks Tim, looks like a spot of DIY is called for! Perhaps there's a gap in the market, when I did a google search it turned up some guys patent for a surf photographers harness, but no one seems to have made it yet. I'd get yourself down to the local patent office. ;-)