• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Hi, here is a photo I took of a hawkfish at Thomas Reef , Tiran the other day. I have cropped the image about 20 pc, boosted the exposure and blacks a little and applied a bit of sharpening in Lightroom. Canon 30d 18-55mm @ 55mm , flat port, ikelite housing, sea and sea ys90 full power, iso 100, 1/250, f22.

Longnose_Hawk_Fish_DUNCAN_copy.jpg
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#2 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Given its position - and the background - the only suggestion I can think of would be to have re-framed it a little more on the diagonal. Given you've cropped it slightly perhaps you could try re-doing it more diagonally & see if you prefer the result?

R

#3 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Given its position - and the background - the only suggestion I can think of would be to have re-framed it a little more on the diagonal. Given you've cropped it slightly perhaps you could try re-doing it more diagonally & see if you prefer the result?

R

Longnose_Hawkfish_2.jpg

Thanks for that. This is as diagonal as I can make it without clipping the fish. I think it is better. Cheers.

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1770 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

Hi Duncan,

I think I might try to reduce the contrast on the background colours-for me the corals are detracting from the subject. If you can select the fish, and then introduce a gaussian blur to the background using a layer mask, that would be good too!

Gennerally, I think the image is a bit overstaurated.

You have lots of opportunites for shooting these-so I would try and get a shot that shows both eyes-it will take some patience though!

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 simonmittag

simonmittag

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:23 AM

Hi Duncan,

I like the subject. However highlights are blown out, so i would have taken exposure down on this shot, not up.

Saturation is too high and you can tell.

Composition wise, the background does not provide a good negative space to the subject and is distracting, try to blur it.

All things you will be able to fix in Photoshop.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Simon
http://www.simonsaysscuba.com - Simon's Underwater Photography Blog

#6 ScubaSapiens

ScubaSapiens

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hi Duncan,

you must have more to go on with the image than what you told Ralphy? Your format is not 3:2, it's more like 3:1,68. Or does the fish fill the frame that much to begin with?

I took the liberty of some quick cloning to show what it might have looked like :aggressive:

hawky.jpg

Sometimes, there's only so much you can do in PhotoShop afterwards... sometimes, it has to be done before you press the shutter...

/chris
www.scubapixel.com
Nikon D300s, Nauticam, Inon Z-240