Sponge Garden Diary

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

Prompted by Don Silcock's image, referred to in his recent thread on Wide Angle Macro, I thought it may be interesting to see if the Wetpixel community's resources could be pooled to create a visual history of a small part of our underwater world.

Wahoo Point is a popular dive spot for visitors to Milne Bay, PNG. Both Tawali Resort, and the liveaboards that service the area dive the point regularly. I've only been once, and loved it.

This is how the Tawali website describes Wahoo Point:
A small point located on the North side of the mainland with a shelf from 15' to 50' in depth and dropping with a sheer wall down to 200+'. This site is frequently visited by Hammerheads, Manta Rays, occasionally Whale Sharks, Minke Whales and on two occasions, Orca. The site also hosts a variety of anemone, a school of Barracuda and very large Elephant ear sponges. A great place for wide angle photography.

Most descriptions of the site I have seen promote Wahoo Point as "great for wide angle photography" which means many photographers will dive this site set up with similar kit, a wide rectilinear or fisheye lens and dual strobes.

So if you've been to Wahoo Point, we're looking for any photographs you may have of this particular sponge garden.

If you are planning a trip to Milne Bay and you happen to dive Wahoo Point with a wide angle setup, keep your eye out!

Post your photos here and we'll build up a collection of images that will chronicle this lovely aspect of a great dive site.

Please include the date the image was shot.

Here's mine to kick off:

04 May 2008 | Nikon d200 | 10.5mm nikkor | 2x Inon z240s | 1/60th @ f5.6 | 100ISO

Posted Image

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

i cant see your image

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

i cant see your image

Hmmm having a few server problems... my site (where the pic is hosted) is down too. Have asked my web guy to check it out. thanks

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240