9 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Wetpixel is going to start using its Twitter feed more and more in the coming months, and we'd love to have you follow us! Initially, the feed will announce new front page articles and interesting links discovered by both me and long-time member Giles Shaxted. Twitter is often the fastest way for us to share the things we're browsing.

Eventually, we'll have a rolling list of Wetpixel's tweets somewhere on the front page, but for now, you'll have to follow us if you're interested!

(and if you're interested in becoming a contributor, let us know here!)

Wetpixel on Twitter: http://twitter.com/wetpixel
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hey Folks,

We have slowly built up 37 followers on Twitter, feel free to head over to http://www.twitter.com/wetpixel and say hello with an @wetpixel to get our attention and we will give a follow back.

Uses of twitter are massive, especially for creating attention to your underwater photos. I personally have seen my Flickr images get as many as 600 hits in a day from one link to them. Because of this as well as publishing news excerpts and such, for the next while I want to push peoples underwater photo galleries.

When we get too busy it will become tough to push ALL links we are given, but we will work that out when it happens.

For now cruise over to Twitter @wetpixel me with your gallery link and I will retweet it (pass it on). I will be doing this with a few keywords to grab attanetion, so for you Twitter users watch out for things like #uwphoto

If you haven't tried it yet, now you have a good reason to, your favourite website Wetpixel is twittering !
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:13 AM

OK, I signed up. I'm not quite sure yet how I will use it. Eric / Giles, how do you use Twitter on a daily basis? Hooked up to your phone? Just on your laptop?
Some thoughts on how you use this on a daily basis would be helpful, both for Wetpixel and personal use would be helpful. Do you think there is any advantage for me to sign up my business say? It appears one can / will get text messages - does this not add to your phone bill?

Edited by loftus, 24 February 2009 - 06:22 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

Ok, this is my take on twitter, if you google there are plenty of people giving their 5cents of if twitter is worthwhile.

On my personal account I follow (twitter term for being interested in something) people that live near me, websites I am interested in, celebrities that interest me (@stephenfry is the most followed twitterer for a reason, he is interesting!). I also follow my friends and a few other people who seem interesting or overall tweet info I am interested in. Most of which was found from using the Search function (link at bottom of the page but will be fully integrated into the twitter page apparently)

When you post a tweet you can have that info embed to your website, your social site (there are applications by the boat load for twitter) as well as be sent to all your followers (people who find you interesting. At the minute SMS updates only go out to USA, and Bell users in Canada. They have a guy working on the rest of the world, primarily Europe and Australia as far as I know at the minute. SMS updates are very handy if not interenet connection. All users can Update from SMS, just not receive updates.

While at my laptop or desktop I tend to have a desktop client (Tweetdeck for me) open. On my phone i either use the mobile site m.twitter.com or tinytwitter a mobile phone app.

my personal updates are either links i find interesting, photos, websites etc, or general stuff about me and what I am doing (the age old twitter question!) of course no one wants to hear about me brushig my teeth, but say I was going on a very cool dive, or taking some photos of supermodels OR even just having some fun out with friends I may tweet about it, or even post a twitpic about it !

Wetpixel, if you follow us will be sending out updates from our RSS feeds as well as other random Underwater Photography tit bits that you may be interested in.

Some good links to go and look at:

A Newbies Guide to Twitter on CNET really explains it all from the Basics terms and everything.
5 Ways to use Twitter - Lifehack

If you google using it for business etc you will find many great links and advice, one of the main advocates for it is @garyvee from Wine Library (great if you love wine!), he has some great advice on his personal blog http://garyvaynerchuk.com/

Oh and lastly some random things I love on twitter. @gcal i can send new events to my google calendar, @myflightinfo gives surprisingly flight info (as well as major airlines being on twitter too!), @Forecast gives you weather. Obamas Inauguration was tweeted live following keywords such as #obama and #inauguration etc (keywords are depicted with # tags for easy searching of people using a word to be searched for.)

The uses are kinda endless and it has become a nice subsidising tool for my overloaded RSS aggregator.

Enough to get started ? if you want to see who i follow or am being followed by find me @gilesshaxted
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:15 AM

We're in, but i'm confused... I added Wetpixel as a friend no problem. But if i look for myself from the resort twitter i can't find anyone with my name... Very odd... :P

Anyhoo... @NAD_Lembeh and @Simon_Buxton for those that are interested :blink:

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#6 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

We're in, but i'm confused... I added Wetpixel as a friend no problem. But if i look for myself from the resort twitter i can't find anyone with my name... Very odd... :o

Anyhoo... @NAD_Lembeh and @Simon_Buxton for those that are interested :P

You're def there Simon, I started following you last night (wow, how stalkerish does that sound :blink: )

Ryan.
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#7 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

AHh, ok cool :blink: I still cant get my head around the search function in twitter. The work one is very civilized, however i can't promise mine will always be like that!

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

Why do we think we’re so important that we believe other people want to know about what we’re having for lunch.
Who really cares what you are doing now or every other boring aspect of your friend’s lives.

Come on, twitter is so silly. :blink:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

But just think how many times you could sneakily advertise your editing software on there... :blink:

Edited by Scuba_SI, 02 May 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#10 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

Wags - you're missing the point of Twitter. It is micro-communications infrastructure. It's OK if you don't like it, but don't assume that technology you don't understand is silly.

My (personal) tweets go to my personal web journal. They also update my Facebook status and are viewed by other people in whatever way they'd like to receive them.

Plus, underwater people are starting to use it. I posted a tweet earlier today asking where to have dinner in Sacramento (I was there to see Howard and Michele Hall's IMAX movie), and Michele herself sent me a message with a restaurant recommendation. OK, so Michele isn't quite up on Twitter yet, but she did read mine and get back to me instantly. :lol:
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos