110 replies to this topic

#101 MelBetley

MelBetley

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

Alex

I have pretty much decided to get a Seaquest Passport - are there any downsides that you've noticed (except for the colours!)?

Thanks

Mel

#102 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:19 AM

We did a non scientific study/test at the dive center where I work regarding the weight and volume regarding BCD’s. We did this just because some of the staff said that they would never change to backplate and harness style BCD jus because they heavier and more bulky than a regular BCD.

The conclusion was that any aluminium metal backplate harness style with single tank wing weighted a lot less that any regular BCD and it also takes a lot less space when packed. The DiveRite TransPac II & Rec Wing and OMS IQ pack and 32lbs single tank bladder was a little bit heavier and bulkier than the Halcyon Eclipse setup.

When teaching OW-courses I use a traditional BCD but when I go pleasure diving and taking pictures I use the backplate harness style just because it’s actually more comfortable and I better balance and buoyancy then.
Peter Bergquist www.pedda.com
D200 / Ike housing / Subtronic Gamma

#103 steffenbinke

steffenbinke

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Another option is the Mares EDV75 Aliikai for men. Despite the fact that Mares gear is not make for permanent use and breaks down after 100 dives but this one is what you can use in the tropics. packed together you can stuff it in your jeans and it does weight nothing. I have seen them all but this one packed together is unbeatable. Unfortunately it is not coming with the requested inflator hose but i guess you can adjust this.

Kind Regards
Steffen Binke

www.steffenbinke.com

Edited by steffenbinke, 21 June 2010 - 08:47 PM.

#104 steffenbinke

steffenbinke

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

hello, all.

I was wondering if any of you might have suggestions for a small BCD with one or more D-rings suitable for travel...? A bonus would be if the inflater had a second-stage on it.

My BCD is wonderful, but it's huge. I need to start finding ways to make my bags smaller and lighter. :notworthy:

The second item I'm wondering about is a 7 or 8mm wetsuit with integrated hood. any suggestions?

thanks!

Hi Eric

Contact Rusty Berry at SSA in Montclair ( http://www.scubaschoolsofamerica.com/) He can get you a handmade BCD with the requested second stage on the inflator and also works on rebreathers as well. you can choose colours and get your name stitched in. Cost are way better than most of the big brands
One of the lightest and best BCD i have ever tested.

Best Regards
Steffen

#105 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

Aqualung Zuma. 2kg. If you wait a month you can see our side-by-side comparison of lightweight BCs (now in Diver Mag) on www.divernet.com

Edited by John Bantin, 23 June 2010 - 12:15 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#106 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

You should also look at the Cressi Travelight.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#107 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

And you've also got the Scubapro Geo and the Zeagle Express Tech (which is basically a plastic backplate and a couple straps). The real advantage to these is that they fold up very small for transport. I looked at them, then weighed my old Sea Quest Balance w/o the weight pockets (which I don't use) and with the Atomic SS1 on it and it weighed 5.7 pounds (also with retractor for computer). So, weight isn't that big a deal. However, it is a bit large to cram in a small bag. I'm probably going to stick with it for the foreseeable future. The Zeagle could easily fit in a carry-on once broken down.

Mike

Edited by MikeO, 23 June 2010 - 06:29 PM.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#108 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

I used a Alluminium Back Plate with a Zeagle 24lbs wing from the Zeagle Scout. Actually I bought the Zeagle scout and used its wing and tank straps. It very compact and doesnt weight much at all. I attached a couple of Zeagle weight pockets to add weight if I am diving in cooler water. I find this rig awesome in the tropics as I dont use any weight with an ally cylinder and its very streamlined. It packs down very flat in my dive bag too. You have to love the custom fit especially if you big person like myself. I would have to buy a XL traditional BCD and the amount of lift in those things sometimes be over 50lbs. This is far too much for a single tank and basically adds to alot of drag.

I dont like the alternate second stage on the inflator for a few reasons. They dont breath as well as a good second stage. They are hard to service and hard to get parts in remote locations (espically the special inflator hose). Find them restrictive when used in sharing air (hard when your turning your head to the right). Would consider them hard to use when sharing air and trying to dump at the same time.

Another thing I dont like is those really cheap slimline occys. Honestly would you feel comfortable if you had to use one of these things if the situation calls?

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#109 bubbless

bubbless

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

I've got a backplate and wing but use the Oxycheq Ultralight Backplate rather than a metal plate in order to save weight. I've got it set up with a Dive Rite Transplate Harness and Oxycheq Wing. Both for ease of packing/traveling and for comfort underwater, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

#110 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Here it is: http://www.divernet....ly_with_me.html

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#111 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

Here it is: http://www.divernet....ly_with_me.html

It would have been interesting to see how some BPW stood up against the travel BCD's in the test.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/