4 replies to this topic

#1 cobozz

cobozz

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

hi there people

im busy building my own housing and got everything sorted except the dome port , i live in south africa and the only port i can get my hands on is the 8" dome port from ikelite

can anybody tell me how good the quality of the domes they use are for surf photography ?

i got the 8mm zuiko fisheye lens

thanks for your time

#2 Red Jeff

Red Jeff

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thats a good question and I am curious myself. I have an ikelite housing and wondering about the housing and dome ports for Surf photography

#3 lauderdale

lauderdale

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Ikelite do have an agent who operates from durban,perhaps give him a shout and throw the question at him?

Ryan

#4 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

Thats a good question and I am curious myself. I have an ikelite housing and wondering about the housing and dome ports for Surf photography

Dome ports rely on water pressure to maintain a tight seal...especially with only two port locks. Ikelite now have an upgrade to 4 port locks, so it might make it a bit more relaistic to take it in the surf, but still a big risk. I'd whack a couple of zip straps or a diy port lock on if i was going to try it out. And without a camera in the housing as a test.

#5 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

hi there people

im busy building my own housing and got everything sorted except the dome port , i live in south africa and the only port i can get my hands on is the 8" dome port from ikelite

can anybody tell me how good the quality of the domes they use are for surf photography ?

i got the 8mm zuiko fisheye lens

thanks for your time

The qualit of the Ikelite 8" dome is fine and probably same to other brand plastic domes. The attchment to the housing is the factor.

Have you already milled a port hole into your custom housing? If not, I would consider a different port attachment method to the housing. Or if already committed to the Ikelite port system to add additional port locks to your custom housing (like maybe 6 or more),

I'm a long time Ikelte housings user and never had problems, but never used them in any large surf either. If it was me, I"d probably use a bayonet or screw-in type of port attachment that provided strength all around the port diameter instead of only at certain points of the port for surfing use.

I also would choose a smaller dome for less drag and surface area to the water force under a big wave.

I do local beach dives, but take my housed camera only on very calm and small surf days. So take my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Good luck and maybe show some pics of your custom housing in the DIY forum section?

Bo
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.