• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

It does have an HDR appearance, and it would be interesting to know if this was just 'normal' PS enhancement / tweaking or an HDR technique was used. If HDR was used, this would be a first I imagine as an underwater photo winner.

As expected, it's simply standard exposure and fill flash.

Per comment:

Firstly, thanks to the staff of DivePhotoGuide and Wetpixel for selecting my image as best of show in this years competition. It is a real honour, particularly since there were so many images that could have easily made best of show. Please find some details below on how the image was captured and processed. It was the perfect afternoon for split photography. The water was like a sheet of glass and the sun was low and about to set on the horizon with hazy cloud overhead. I made several images, however this one stood out due to the striking composition. The man-o-war was almost touching the dome port when the shot was made and a single strobe was used at a downward angle to light the little critter and the seafloor (1 metre below). In post processing, I used Adobe Photoshop CS2 RAW plug-in to convert the image to a .tiff file. The .tiff was then rotated by one degree to make the water surface a straight line and slightly cropped to suit. Slight adjustments were also made to colour contrast, saturation and sharpening using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Many congratulations Justin, the other category winners and to all those that placed. There were also many more stunning images that we could not squeeze into the winners' circle. It was an honour to judge.

For those planning on entering next year please have a look at the judges' statement and heed the advice regarding the traditional categories.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#23 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

As expected, it's simply standard exposure and fill flash.
Per comment:

You would have thought the flash on the jellyfish bubble would have given that one away.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#24 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

congrats to all, just awesome. The only person I know is NCmermaid, wtg!!!!! See you next year for the cenotes...scott
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#25 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

congrats to all, just awesome. The only person I know is NCmermaid, wtg!!!!! See you next year for the cenotes...scott

Thanks Scott! I am humbled to be in such talented company. And yes, the cenotes are a must do here but the reef diving doesn't suck either! :aggressive:
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com