• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fish

fish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:17 AM

I am fairly new to underwater photography and started out with a Ikelite housing for my Canon 10D and a single DS-125 strobe. After 100+ dives of shooting I upgraded recently to the Ikelite 5D mark II housing and now Im cosidering a second strobe. So Im wondering if I should buy a second DS-125 or should I go for the DS-160?

I know I'll use it that much so I dont really consider the difference in price to be an issue. Im just wondering if I'll run into some problems using two different (1XDS125 and 1XDS160) strobes at the same time?!?

If you are willing to share your thoughts and experience on the matter I would appreciate it! :D
hreggi
www.hvitabirnir.is

Canon 5D mkII / 17-40mm F4 / 15mm 2.8 / 100mm 2.8 / Ikelite housing and strobe

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Read this thread

.125 vs. 160

It discusses the same topic.

Do a search of the forum and you will find more on these strobes.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

To add another wrinkle to the mix, have you considered adding an Inon Z240 strobe instead of another Ikelite? When I had only one strobe, which in my case was an Inon Z240, and I discussed the issue of adding another strobe with Ryan at Reef Photo, he let me know that it was possible to add a strobe of a different brand, such as an Ikelite DS-125.

I'm guessing this wouldn't work if you have only one bulkhead connector, but if you have two, then I believe it can be done.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#4 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

I am also still using a single DS125, so what do I know.
Just a thought though - some degree of intensity difference between the primary and secondary strobe may often be desirable on out of the box TTL. On the surface, photographers go to some trouble, varying the strobe power side to side, to get the effect of light modelling into their work.

Please shoot me down on this because the mixed DS160 / 125 route is one I'm considering.

Edited by Balrog, 27 February 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#5 fish

fish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Inon Z240.

But as Balrog pointed out having two different light sources might make it look more natural in some scenes. But I wasn't sure if I would even spot a difference (except manually which I could also do with two DS125s). Having two strobes at the same kind would probably just simplify my life a bit. So then its just a question of LED vs halogen focus light.
hreggi
www.hvitabirnir.is

Canon 5D mkII / 17-40mm F4 / 15mm 2.8 / 100mm 2.8 / Ikelite housing and strobe

#6 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

...I'm guessing this wouldn't work if you have only one bulkhead connector, but if you have two, then I believe it can be done.

The OP said he had the Ike housing, which has only one bulkhead, as far as I know (checked the Ike page and could only see one). Guess if you went cross-brand on strobes you could link the 2nd optically to the first with FO or something.

I'm a complete noob so have no advice for the OP, but think that sounds like more trouble than it's worth; in essence you're daisy-chaining your firing, vs. triggering from the same source.\

p.s. to fish: If you still consider yourself "new" to UW photo after 100+ dives with one camera and upgrading to a 2nd, then I guess I'm still gestating!! :P

Edited by rtrski, 27 February 2009 - 05:58 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#7 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

To add another wrinkle to the mix, have you considered adding an Inon Z240 strobe instead of another Ikelite?

I'd skip this wrinkle even if it were possible, which it isn't on an Ikelite housing, other than as a slave.

Now you have two types of batteries to charge. You would also have strobes with different color temperatures. It may allow one more lighting possibilities, but there is a cost to it in ease of use.

I almost forgot, conventional wisdom is to get a DS160. When faced with a similar choice, I chose the DS125.

Whichever you choose, don't fret over the decision. If after a year you feel like you made the wrong decision, you still won't lose any sleep over it. It's not like the condo in Destin my buddy decided to buy two years ago.

Edited by scorpio_fish, 27 February 2009 - 10:48 AM.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#8 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

Just finished a trip with my 2 Inon Z-240's. Light, easy to pack and carry, plenty of light. One day on the boat, another guy had 2 125's. I looked at the huge size of his strobes compared to mine and the considerable wt difference when I helped him with his gear and I was really glad to have 240's...for what its worth. Cannot comment on performance differences as I have not shot 125's.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#9 CADiver

CADiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:潛水, 吃喝玩樂 !

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

Just finished a trip with my 2 Inon Z-240's. Light, easy to pack and carry, plenty of light. One day on the boat, another guy had 2 125's. I looked at the huge size of his strobes compared to mine and the considerable wt difference when I helped him with his gear and I was really glad to have 240's...for what its worth. Cannot comment on performance differences as I have not shot 125's.

The recyle time of the DS-125 is faster in practical usage. But I like the Z240 better too, size & weight, etc. I sold my DS125 and buying 2 Z240 :-)
I don't really need very rapid firing underwater, Z240 is slower but not too much slower. The weight and size and flexiblilty is hard to beat. The new S2000 is very interesting too, seems perfect for simple p&s set up.

Cheers !
Dominic
Flickr: CADiver
Blog:
Nikon D90, Tokina 10-17, Nikkor 60, 105VR, Nexus, Inon Z240 IV, Hartenberger Nano, FixLED 1000DX.

#10 jaypee

jaypee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

I just love the DS125 because of its quick(er) power recycle time! I think it's always a good principle to use the same strobes for generic UW-photography...
Just got back from Sipadan, Malaysia || Checkout my portfolio @ http://www.bonaire-v...blog/portfolio/
Nikon Powerrrrrr

#11 DanInSoCal

DanInSoCal

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography (duh!), in addition to scenic, nature, portrait, and landscape photography. I am also a karate instructor, professional scientific software developer, and father of a one-year-old daughter. So, I am also busy.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

The 160 has a lot better specs with not much more $'s. As others have said, read the pro/con forum conversations. Personally I went for the 160.

Dan
Underwater Gallery

Canon 30D / Ikelite housing / DS-160 strobe / 18-55IS and 100 macro lenses
Plus lots of old pics taken with Canon A710IS in a Canon housing

#12 Ransome

Ransome

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

I was told that if you want to rely on TTL, you have to go with the Ikelite strobe, is that true?

#13 Biodiversity_guy

Biodiversity_guy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

I am currently shooting a G10 with an Ikelite DS51 TTL. I was considering adding a second strobe, and going with the new DS160.

Can I have both the 51 and the 160 be synced with TTL? Or will the 160 only sync with a 125/160?

#14 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Have used a DS-51 for last 2 years- took plunge and got a DS-125.

love it!!!- the recycle time is bloody brill!!- but it is heavy.
still - now I dont have to bring aa batteries on holidays anymore!!!

I love my ds-51.............but I love my ds-125 more...............just have to use it properly!!! :D

happy snappin!
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#15 Chris Yorke

Chris Yorke

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography (of course)<br />Scuba diving (cant get enough)<br />Member of SURG (www.surg.com.au)

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ikelite have a double sync cord for you to that goes from the single plug on the housing and then splits to the two Ikelite DS strobes (4103.52). They also do sync cords or the Inon and sea and sea strobes to then plug into the Ikelite housing. Check out there web site.

#16 Tim Digger

Tim Digger

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Hyperbaric Medicine Dive Photography Walking and Climbing

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

Can I have both the 51 and the 160 be synced with TTL? Or will the 160 only sync with a 125/160?

I use a DS125 and a modified DS50 (equivalent to 51) with Ikelites double synch cord, It all works fine. With the double cord it matters which cord is in which strobe RTFM.
regards Tim Digger
Upgraded from D70s to Nikon D300s Dec2010. Lenses Sigma 17-70mm macro (non HSM) and 105mm macro. Tokina 10-17mm
Ikelite housing and DS125 and TTL converted DS50.

#17 Johnbear

Johnbear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'm guessing this wouldn't work if you have only one bulkhead connector, but if you have two, then I believe it can be done.

-