#1 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Hi Guys,
It has just been announced that our very own James Wiseman is going to be giving a talk at the next HUPS meeting.
Topic for discussion is listed as being "Super Macro, gear and techniques".
I personally think that this si a wonderful oportunity to found out about this demanding discipline.
At a guess, I would estimate that approx 99% of Wetpixel members will be unable to attend due to geographical constraints.
I was wondering how many people would be interested in viewing/buying a DVD of James' talk if such a DVD existed?
I'm of the belief that there is no where near enough instructional material available for underwater photography, and hopefully
if the demand is high enough that James might consider making such a DVD possible?
Anyone agree? If so, please show your support through this thread...
With respect,
Bruce...

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

I totally agree Bruce. I would pay for this. Knowing that it done by someone who knows exactly what he is on about. As you say there is not enough of this material available to buy. I would have thought with the right marketing, this would be a very good profitable thing to do. Anyone heading of to Indo would surely be interested in such a dvd.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

You guys - I don't really know what I'm on about. I'm just good at faking it ;-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

You guys - I don't really know what I'm on about. I'm just good at faking it ;-)

Cheers
James

That's good James, coz we haven't got a bloody clue either. . . . :uwphotog:
C'mon James, these tutorials have to start somewhere, why not with you?
Get the HUPS guys to produce the videos and then they can sell them as a fund raiser for thier club?
It's absolutely absurd for our community to have this talent 'on tap' and yet we sit on our arses with our mouths shut as if it's a carefully guarded family secret.
I wonder how many people have actually walked away from underwater photography because it was 'too' hard to learn, or too hard to glean information from the gurus?
Shame on us. . . . :) :P

I want to learn. . .

Bruce

Edited by bruceterrill, 27 February 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

If someone wants to come record my HUPS presentation, I won't object!

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#6 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

Can I preorder it now?! :P
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

James has agreed to video the talk but cannot do the editing so we are now after an experienced video editor who lives near by. If anyone would be up for this, please contact James or reply to this topic. Someone out there must be up for it !!!!! Once again cheers James.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#8 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

James has agreed to video the talk but cannot do the editing so we are now after an experienced video editor who lives near by. If anyone would be up for this, please contact James or reply to this topic. Someone out there must be up for it !!!!! Once again cheers James.

Stew

I really think that this is great, the way the community has pullrd together to make this happen.
The big picture is that A LOT of the WP folk are really interested in improving thier own skill levels.
It also shows that we have people with "the smarts" who are fully prepared to share thier knowledge.
I think that I sarted this project and as the instigator, I would really like to show my appreciation and offer my personal thanks to James.
Well done guys.
Bruce...

#9 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Bruce, I would say that James and HUPS started this project.

I hope the irony of taking credit for advocacy in a forum explicitly created for that purpose is appreciated. How many believe Wetpixel is here to maintain a "carefully guarded family secret"?
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#10 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

How many believe Wetpixel is here to maintain a "carefully guarded family secret"?

I do, but keep it Shhhhhhhhhh. we dont want everyone to know you get better shots with the lens cap off.

stew

#11 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

Bruce, I would say that James and HUPS started this project.

I hope the irony of taking credit for advocacy in a forum explicitly created for that purpose is appreciated. How many believe Wetpixel is here to maintain a "carefully guarded family secret"?

Craig,
As usual you have to have a whinge about something.
I merely stated that I believed that I started the idea of videoing the 'talk' so that others may also benefit.
And on more than one occasion I have thanked James and given him credit where credit is due!
Apart from that, I believe that you are one of the few people who really do have the 'smarts' to help out,
yet you continue to sit back and take cheap shots at those who are at least trying to have a go and bring benefit to all the WP members
and not just the HUPS crew.
Pardon me for trying to help out, in future I will just sit back and let the clicques mingle amongst themselves and the newer members
continue to feel left out.
I will now return to lurking and discontinue any physical participation.
Bruce... :P

#12 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

I will now return to lurking and discontinue any physical participation.
Bruce... :P

Dont be silly Bruce, offer to do the editing. lol :)

Stew

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Yeah "I started the project" is what you said Bruce and that sounds pretty lame.

I'm giving the talk to a non-profit based club - HUPS here in Houston. Those folks (myself included) pay yearly membership dues. So we'll have to see how receptive HUPS is to the idea. My guess is they won't have a problem with it - but has anyone asked the officers? My guess is no. I don't mind of course, but the question needs to be asked.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#14 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Dont be silly Bruce, offer to do the editing. lol :P

Stew

That's exactly what I was thinking. If Bruce wants credit there's work to do.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#15 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. If Bruce wants credit there's work to do.

Quick guys, circle the wagons.

There's a dang newbie tryin' to infiltrate the ranks. . . . .

#16 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

Quick guys, circle the wagons.

There's a dang newbie tryin' to infiltrate the ranks. . . . .

Hey Bruce dont feel like that, have a look at most of my images and you will see that i need the help too. look at my posting i have made regarding macro, super macro, tele converters, diopters. reading them will tell you that I am as mind boggled by it all as well. I know what you were trying to say/do, and if someone did bring out a dvd which talks through all of the available option for getting more than 1:1 it would be a big hit as like us many photographers struggle with the options that are available.

Stew

#17 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:53 AM

In the good old days if people wanted to learn how to do something like uw photography they would pay to take a course or something !

There used to be plenty of videos on uw photography before digital, i bet there are still a few floating around now. It's all the same stuff just end format differs.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#18 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

I'm sorry guys, but the price that you have to pay to ask for assistance on this forum is beyond an individual's personal pride.
To edure public redicule at the hands of a bunch of 'prima-donnas' is so typical of a professional group, paranoid that any info given
to the 'underlings' might result in an image worthy of praise, and at worst, it might be able to compete on equal footing with said prima-donnas!

I have a fun group of mates, and together we love our time underwater, and funnily enough none of us need to endure the pecking order laid
out in this forum.
With respect to the friends that i have made and with thanks to those who have taken the time to help me with my inquiries. i will now say my good-byes
and I wish you all well in your endeavours...

#19 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

I'm sorry guys, but the price that you have to pay to ask for assistance on this forum is beyond an individual's personal pride.
To edure public redicule at the hands of a bunch of 'prima-donnas' is so typical of a professional group, paranoid that any info given
to the 'underlings' might result in an image worthy of praise, and at worst, it might be able to compete on equal footing with said prima-donnas!

I have a fun group of mates, and together we love our time underwater, and funnily enough none of us need to endure the pecking order laid
out in this forum.
With respect to the friends that i have made and with thanks to those who have taken the time to help me with my inquiries. i will now say my good-byes

WOW !!! I am amazed at that. IMHO i have always received information that I have asked questons on. I am sure 99% of WP members feel the same. ok from time to time debates might get a little heated and words are sometimes written in haste. i will put my hand up to doing that on at least one occassion, but i do feel you are over reacting to this Bruce. You are as important to WP as of the likes of Eric and Alex and without ordinary guys like yourself and I WP would not be what it is. I do not think that there was anything malicious in what Craig wrote, or perhaps I am reading it wrong. I am certainly not part of any clique either ( is that club subscription and by invitation only ). far from it, i have been victim of sarcasm and negativity myself, but i have broad shoulders and take it all in my stride. I do hope you return to read this posting and I would hope that you continue to be a provider to the forums. if you decide to stand by your decision then i hope you continue with your enjoyment for underwater photography and aspire someday to the people who you look up to.

all the best, Stew

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

out in this forum.

Bruce
Perhaps you didn't mean anything by your "carefully guarded family secret" comment, but taken in its most literal form, it does seem to be a slap in the face for those who have written articles, reviews and given information freely throughout the history of WP (and which I might add, is freely available on the website). Remember the staff and contributors are ALL volunteer and are under no obligation at all to provide any advice. Even seasoned pros like Alex, Fred and Steven give out help whenever they can. I do think your statement, while perhaps being tongue-in-cheek, may be unfair to our contributors, especially this latest "prima donna" comment. You are, of course, allowed to state your opinion but allow others that right too.
Moreover, there can be miscommunication when conversing in forums since it is a medium without inflections or tones (smilies don't really cut it imho) and obviously disagreements do and always WILL occur frequently. It is entirely your choice to participate in WP or not. It will be here should you choose to return, as it will always be available to all who want to read and participate.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.