82 replies to this topic

#1 Snaphappy

Snaphappy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:scuba, land and U/W photography, kayaking

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'm happy to say that my winning dolphin shot was announced and displayed at the FL Dive Show in West Palm Beach on the dates of Nov. 15th & 16th, 2008. What I'm not happy to say is that I haven't received my prize nor any communication from the contest's sponsor, Brad Nolan, editor of Dive Chronicles Magazine.

The shot placed first in the WA DSLR category, and my prize was supposed to be 5 days/4 nights at the Divi Resort, as is listed on Dive Chronicle's web page:

FL Dive Show

(click on 'photo contest' on the right side of the page to see the info)

It's now been over 3 1/2 months since the winners were announced and not only haven't I received my prize, but each of the numerous emails I've sent to Mr. Nolan have gone unanswered. I'm acquainted with 3 of the other contest winners through the SFUPS, and each of them has told me they haven't received their prizes or any communication either.

I mainly wanted to get this off my chest and warn others about entering into a contest sponsored by Dive Chronicles, but I'd welcome any advice or input that you have to offer about this situation. Thanks, Robyn

#2 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Robyn, same thing happened to me with Sport Diver Mag, they would never answer my emails and then when they finally did, it was like they did not want me to come at all. Sad... Feeling your pain. Scott PS. I supposedly won a trip for 2 to Stuart's cove....

Edited by scott_nielsen, 03 March 2009 - 06:21 PM.

Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#3 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

It's been 3.5 months, 2 faxes, and numerous EMails and still waiting for the "Australasia SCUBA Diver" to send out prizes from their Novenber '08 KBR shoot out !
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#4 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

not knowing each of the competition rules and what rights you have given them for using your images in the future, have any of these contests used your images since you have won for their own advertising. It would be bad enough not getting your due prizes, but to find out they are using your images as you agreed by entering them into the competition would be even worse. I hope you do get what is owed to you guys. NOT RECEIVING ANY FORM OF REPLY TO EMAILS REALLY RATTLES ME TOO.

stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#5 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:36 AM

That sucks, Robyn, especially since you were going to take me with you. :P

Seriously though, I hope you get the prize that you won. I guess there is some advantage to never having won a competition. :lol:
Ellen B.

#6 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

You forgot to read the last paragraph in the prize listing -

"Prizes are subject to change without notice."

They changed them to no prize at all. :P

The good news -

"Photographers and videographers retain all copyrights to their images and/or video. "

The bad news -

"Dive Chronicles/Florida Dive Show have rights to use any submitted images for a period of two years for purpose of promoting future U/W Competitions. Photographer credits will be given."

Because an entry fee was paid I would contact the Attorney General's office as I believe not awarding anything would be fraud. I would also contact Divi Resort and see if they indeed offer a prize. They might be pissed if their prize was not awarded.

Edited by allen, 04 March 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#7 Snaphappy

Snaphappy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

No, I was fully aware of the disclaimer...but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that Brad Nolan would not act in good faith in delivering the prizes to the deserving winners. Thanks for the suggestion about contacting the Attorney General,,that sounds like a good idea.
I've also posted my tale of woe on the scubadiving.com message board, and it's interesting to note that Brad Nolan has done the same thing to a contest winner from one of his previous shows. :P Robyn

#8 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

you go girl, prize winners should not have to fight to get their prizes.... So sorry that sponsors have treated you in this fashion. Scott
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!

#9 DavidG

DavidG

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:52 AM

I had the same problem with Beneath the Sea photo contest in 2007. I received and email before the winners were announced that one of my photos was one of the finals and I should receive my price in the next four to six weeks and I am still waiting :drink: I email them back few times but they never replied.

Edited by DavidG, 20 March 2009 - 05:52 AM.

Subal ND20, Nikon D200 and lots of water to photograph.

http://www.worldofoceans.com

#10 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Is Dive Chronicles/Brad Nolan just ignoring all your calls/emails? Has anyone gone to any of their recent shows and tried to talk to him? How about trying to call Dive Chronicles pretending to want to advertise in their publication...just to get someone on the phone? Sad to have to do that, but perhaps the only way???
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#11 DirkPitt

DirkPitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:00 AM

Is Dive Chronicles/Brad Nolan just ignoring all your calls/emails? Has anyone gone to any of their recent shows and tried to talk to him? How about trying to call Dive Chronicles pretending to want to advertise in their publication...just to get someone on the phone? Sad to have to do that, but perhaps the only way???

Wow mike, maybe you should call 88-557-2822 but there is no record of you calling???? Many people have received prizes. But No one has called with any complaints. The phone number has been 888-557-2822 and is functioning all the time 24/7

#12 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

Wow mike, maybe you should call 88-557-2822 but there is no record of you calling???? Many people have received prizes. But No one has called with any complaints. The phone number has been 888-557-2822 and is functioning all the time 24/7

Which number? 88 or 888? :)

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#13 rschrager

rschrager

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

I had the same problem with Beneath the Sea photo contest in 2007. I received and email before the winners were announced that one of my photos was one of the finals and I should receive my price in the next four to six weeks and I am still waiting :turtle: I email them back few times but they never replied.

David,

I don't know who you you emailed, but would you please send us an email at the competition address, photo@beneaththesea.org , Speaking for myself, no one is aware of any outstanding problem with respect to prizes for the 2007 competition.

We will certainly rectify any problem ASAP.

Bob Schrager

#14 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

When thinking about it I didn't even get a t-shirt. I got nothing, still waiting...

/Peter
Nikon D7000, Ikelite housing and strobes, SOLA 1200 video lights.

#15 BDSC

BDSC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Working out, Fishing, NFL Football

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

It's really too bad that many of you folks are getting the shaft with respect to your prizes. You acted in good faith and entered your pics in a contest only to get the run around.

And then it takes people posting on forums like this, getting the negative word out, and having to talk about contacting the Attorney Generals Office before the prize people step up and start saying, "Problem.....what problem. I had no idea. We have had no complaints. Give us a call."

It's just too bad people like Dive Chronicals/Brad Nolan just don't man-up to start with and deliver what they promised without the hassle. Robyn............you can believe if you had never posted you would still be waiting and waiting and waiting.....................

Edited by BDSC, 02 April 2009 - 06:03 AM.

#16 DirkPitt

DirkPitt

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Amazing how people want prizes but refuse to pay the entree fee. Two sides to the story. But of course since I posted my phone number how many calls did we get NONE! Instead people making false claims. Acting in good faith is also paying the entree fee. We alway answer phone calls and emails,

Brad Nolan

It's really too bad that many of you folks are getting the shaft with respect to your prizes. You acted in good faith and entered your pics in a contest only to get the run around.

And then it takes people posting on forums like this, getting the negative word out, and having to talk about contacting the Attorney Generals Office before the prize people step up and start saying, "Problem.....what problem. I had no idea. We have had no complaints. Give us a call."

It's just too bad people like Dive Chronicals/Brad Nolan just don't man-up to start with and deliver what they promised without the hassle. Robyn............you can believe if you had never posted you would still be waiting and waiting and waiting.....................

#17 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

If someone doesn't pay their entry fee doesn't that automatically disqualify them? If they don't pay they can't win.

We should start a data-base that rates contests based on a variety of criteria. First and foremost would be the number of prizes and how well they deliver them. I have entered most of the larger contests over the years and there are many that do a great job and others that continually drag their feet when it comes time to pay out. I often hear the same excuse "we're only volunteers." If you're running a contest, it can and should be done right.

Edited by Lionfish43, 05 April 2009 - 10:38 AM.

Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#18 Nakedwithoutcamera

Nakedwithoutcamera

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Amazing how people want prizes but refuse to pay the entree fee. Two sides to the story. But of course since I posted my phone number how many calls did we get NONE! Instead people making false claims. Acting in good faith is also paying the entree fee. We alway answer phone calls and emails,

Brad Nolan

Robyn is a dear friend of mine. She has the utmost integrity and honesty. I trust her with my life when I dive with her. She bends over backwards to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and I have never known her to speak ill of anyone without legitimate cause. I certainly hope you are not accusing her of not paying the entry fee.
Ellen B.

#19 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Brad Nolan

Your side of the story sounds like B.S. to me Brad...how did she win if she never paid an entry fee? If you don't pay the 'entry' fee then your not 'entered'...right? Quit playing games and pay the lady!
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#20 Snaphappy

Snaphappy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Brad Nolan

Brad, when I entered the contest last year, I DID call your office and I gave my Amex number. The gentleman on the other end of the phone readily accepted the number, and never was I made aware that there was any problem. Why would I go through the trouble of submitting entries and not furnish the reqired fee?
You sent me a pm last week and claimed that my card had been denied. First of all, I have excellent credit and my credit card purchases are never denied unless it's in error. Knowing that errors can sometimes occur, and if this is indeed the scenario that played out, it would have been nice to have received notification at the time so that I could have rectified the error.
In fairness, I've looked back at my Amex statements and I can't see where I was charged for the entry fee like I should have been.
This also leads me to wonder....why wasn't I disqualified? It was either yourself or a representative from Dive Chronicles who lead me to the booth at the FL Dive Show where the winning entries were displayed....

Posted Image

then congratulated me and told me that I'd be getting an email about my prize, 'next week'. I've received no emails from you, nor any replies to the multiple emails I've sent. I've also left one or two phone messages which have gone unanswered.

So ... you want to disqualify me after the fact because there was supposedly a problem with my entry fee and I wasn't made aware of it?
Do whatever you think is fair Brad, but I hope that all the others who didn't receive their prizes have at least heard something from you by now.
At the time I made this post, there were at least 4 other winners from the SFUPS who I'd been in contact with, and no one had received their prize nor any form of communication from you. Also, I found out there's someone from a past show of yours who has the same complaint:

scubadiving.com

What do you have to say about that Brad? I'm also curious to know why you feel as though prize winners have the responsibility of chasing you down for their prizes? Robyn

4/5/09 7:34 p.m. Edited to correct spelling errors

Edited by Snaphappy, 05 April 2009 - 03:34 PM.