9 replies to this topic

#1 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

I have just discovered that Red Sea Safari's www.redseasafaris.com have stolen at least a dozen of my images and are using them in the promotion of their website.

Ironically, they devote a whole page on their website to elaborate on their 'Ethical Policy' - all very commendable, except it obviously stops short of theft. :lol:

When I contacted the owner, Avi Bernstein, he offered no apology; merely stating "I'll take them off" - without establishing which ones are mine :P : so I presume my images might not be alone in not belonging to him. Perhaps others might like to check whether any of their work has found it's way onto the website? When I asked how he obtained them his response was "off the net" and hung up the phone.

I am writing to the websites hosting company detailing which of my images the site is using and demanding their removal.

I leave it to others to determine the true 'Ethical Policy' of Red Sea Safari's - and whether they choose to do business with them.

R

Edited by ralphy, 04 March 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Any update Ralphy ???

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

From the web-site it does not look as if they meet mandatory ATOL bonding requirements (for any holiday service comprising more than two parts) either so I guess they'll be closed down soon.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 DuncanS

DuncanS

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:41 AM

From the web-site it does not look as if they meet mandatory ATOL bonding requirements (for any holiday service comprising more than two parts) either so I guess they'll be closed down soon.

Also contact CDWS (Chamber of Diving and Watersports) in egypt. They are a branch of the Ministry of Tourism and are currently enforcing ISO standard audits on all dive operations and closing those down who don't comply....maybe they can help you....

http://www.cdws.travel/

Duncan
Duncan

RedSeaSnapper.com

#5 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

Any update Ralphy ???

Dive safe

DeanB

Yes, the site was 'down' for the last few days - shortly after I emailed the ISP host in fact - and it's back up now but minus my images.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As an aside, all the dive site guides they had featured - and which seemed remarkably similar to the Red Sea Guide Book - have been removed as well.

EDIT: I've just seen that there is still at least one image of mine on their downloadable pdf forms. :-(

R

Edited by ralphy, 11 March 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#6 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

What mandatory ATOL bonding requirements, please?

R

Edited by ralphy, 11 March 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

What mandatory ATOL bonding requirements, please?

R

Under EU law, any entity selling a holiday that includes two or more elements (eg. flights and accommodation or accommodation and diving) must hold an ATOL bond to protect their customer's money. I'm not sure if it is mandatory but legitimate operators usually display the ATOL logo and bond number in their ads/brochures.

Edited by John Bantin, 11 March 2009 - 10:15 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Under EU law, any entity selling a holiday that includes two or more elements (eg. flights and accommodation or accommodation and diving) must hold an ATOL bond to protect their customer's money. I'm not sure if it is mandatory but legitimate operators usually display the ATOL logo and bond number in their ads/brochures.

As far as I know the ATOL is a requirement if the operator is packaging flights and accommodation only, not accommodation and diving (or any other sport or activity for that matter). This operator doesn't include flights so ATOL bonding isn't a requirement for them.

R

#9 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

HI Ralph,
sorry to here about your copy right problem, but on a brighter front I have always said you take great images :) :bye: & now others
agree even if they don't tell you & just use them :) , Keep Smiling.
Andy :)

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

As far as I know the ATOL is a requirement if the operator is packaging flights and accommodation only, not accommodation and diving (or any other sport or activity for that matter). This operator doesn't include flights so ATOL bonding isn't a requirement for them.

R

I stand corrected. ABTA is a travel trade association that has a bonding requirement for non-air holidays as a condition of membership. It also has a code of conduct covering standards of service and complaints, which members should adhere to.