• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

I have searched the forum and read the info on the subal leak alarm staying on and not going off. Mine came on yesterday for no reason, no moisture no water in the housing but it came on and will not go off. I have tried everything, even dried the contacts with a hairdryer, even though it did not need it. Took the battery out, tried a new one. Nothing will stop it flashing. I suppose I will have to send it away, but now is not a good time for that, anyone have any more ideas? thanks

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Usually letting it sit overnight without the battery solves the problem.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Its been 30 hours now and I really need to use it but don't want to without the alarm, it saved me a couple of times. I'll just have to wait. thanks

#4 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hey kriptap

This is not an unusual occurance and has happened to me a couple of times.
I always test the leak alarm by dampening my finger and touching the contacts before fitting the backplate.
Sometimes the alarm wont switch off, Ive been told that it's due to a residue of oil from my fingers.
A cotton bud dipped in an alchohol based lens cleaner and rubbed over the prongs works a treat for me.

Hope this helps.

Nige Wade

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#5 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Mine did the same thing, actually, it's been doing the same thing for more than a year. I've just pulled the battery and have become very dilligent about maintainance. I'll get Ryan to replace it one of these days as I think the problem is crust built up inside the rubber boot around the sensors causing the circuit to complete. I tried using rubbing alcohol on a swab but it didnt't work for me.

Edited by randapex, 06 March 2009 - 04:26 PM.

Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#6 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

It mat sound obvious, but try changing the battery! Mine was behaving similarily after a flood and was cured by simply drying it out with a sliica gel packet in the sealed housing overnight, and then a battery change.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#7 kriptap

kriptap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

I did try a new battery and it did not flood, there was no water in it, now nearly 30 hours and still it flashes.

#8 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

Patrick ...

i have had to clean a few contacts especially strobes. qtip with white vinegar, then clean off with distilled water, then rubbing alcohol. and you already have your new battery.

It doesn't have to have got flooded i have had this problem with dust (which held moisture from the air on the contacts I am guessing)

Also it may not be obvious, but has any of it been banged out of shape just a tiny bit and is causing it ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#9 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

When mine did that it was water ingress at the rear two metal pickups - these are actually electronic 0.1" header strip, salts and stuff builds up at the back of the header and it does not take much muck to kick it off.

Couple of choices - remove the pins from bottom of housing pull off the heatshrink on the back and clean with alcohol - or cut the pins off completely and solder some more on - if you cut the pins off and it is still flashing - it wasn't the pins! and you have to take the circuit board out and clean that.

When I re built mine I used three pins and removed the centre one - still works the same but a lot more difficult to have the salts build up.

If you need some more cable and pins PM me, we have loads at work - can send you the bits you need to re-build most of it.

Paul C

Edited by PRC, 07 March 2009 - 10:22 AM.

Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#10 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

Make sure the contacts are not touching the housing thus closing the circuit.
To check, try sliding a thick paper between the contacts and the housing.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#11 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

Down in Grand Cayman and the same thing has happened to my housing. It's dry, have removed the battery will try cleaning the contacts although they look pretty good and they aren't touching the housing and are not bent. sigh.....
Tony
Life is one long surface interval

#12 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Down in Grand Cayman and the same thing has happened to my housing. It's dry, have removed the battery will try cleaning the contacts although they look pretty good and they aren't touching the housing and are not bent. sigh.....

Has to be something to do with the Cayman Is then - thats is also where mine went wrong - it seems to be a black hole for Subal leak alarms :)

Sadly it is often not the bit you can see - you may need to rip the pins out of the housing and cut away the shrink sleeving on the back of the pins to get at where they were soldered. Then you can clean or replace as required.

The pins are hot glued to the Subal housing - not a big deal - short term mine went back with gaffer tape.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#13 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Well I got mine to work for awhile at least for the first dive. I did the alcohol, swabbing, hair dryer, and packed it with moisture munchers for hours and the device would stop flashing. After one dive , on the second it started flashing. Again no leakage. I emailed Ryan at Reef Photo and he thinks the board probably has a short in it caused by an errant drop of water. I will send him the housing to have the board replaced. I dove the last two days without a battery, sigh..., but had no problems.

Tony
Tony
Life is one long surface interval

#14 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

My sisters Subal always did that. It was driving her crazy. She had to take the battery out many times and dive without it. She lost all her equipment in PNG this spring and in in a unsatisfying discussion with DEPP about it. It will be interesting if she goes with Subal again.