22 replies to this topic

#1 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

Here is a link to a show I got to work on.
http://www.history.c...pisodeId=416520

Hey Wagsy, our show should be on the air in a month or two!

D

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:23 AM

A Megalodon lurking off Baja..... :aggressive:

On face value with the high concentrations of large whales in that general area it would possibly be the only place left on our planet that could support a giant predator. I love mysteries! :notworthy: Any idea when it will show in Europe?

Cheers, Simon

#3 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

A Megalodon lurking off Baja..... :aggressive:

On face value with the high concentrations of large whales in that general area it would possibly be the only place left on our planet that could support a giant predator. I love mysteries! :notworthy: Any idea when it will show in Europe?

Cheers, Simon

I said the same thing....

"You want me to do what?"

then that is followed by my next question...

"How much is the budget?"

Then the next question for an underwater worker....

"when do I leave..."

The show will air in the USA on Wed the 18th at 9pm pacific. No idea when it will hit the other side of the lake but Im sure it will get over there. The series is called Monster Quest an has a few seasons under its belt. Me and Wagsy did a show together, I cant wait to see that one!

Come to find out there are alot of Wetpixel members out there that are really working in the industry. I was able to get Wagsy to help me from meeting him from this site. It was a great hookup, he was a great diver and cameraman and didnt get freaked out in the feeding frenzy of sharks at night.

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:42 AM

Come to find out there are alot of Wetpixel members out there that are really working in the industry. I was able to get Wagsy to help me from meeting him from this site. It was a great hookup, he was a great diver and cameraman and didnt get freaked out in the feeding frenzy of sharks at night.

Wagsy was feeding Megalodons at night??? heheheh :aggressive:

Cheers, Simon

#5 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Wagsy was feeding Megalodons at night??? heheheh :bye:

Cheers, Simon

Me and Wagsy got into a feeding frenzy of grey reef sharks about 50 miles off of Townsville on the Great Barrier Reef. We switched out lights on at night and it brought in a massive ball of krill, that was followed by a massive bait ball, that was in turn hit by giant Trevally and then came the reef sharks. By the time we got out of the water they were everywhere. I know he got some awesome shots out of it.

He also was playing with the sea snakes, I told him he can have at it, and I filmed him.

Never seen a sea snake in the wild and I was not keen on getting my lens right on its face, Wagsy loved it though....HE SO CRAZY.....

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hey dude, hows it going?
Thanks for the big plug there....hey if I had a dollar for every sea snake I have picked up :bye: .
Yes it was fun trip alright, look forward to another adventure with you if it comes up.

I'll keep a look out for the show, should be a laugh.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#7 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hey dude, hows it going?
Thanks for the big plug there....hey if I had a dollar for every sea snake I have picked up :bye: .
Yes it was fun trip alright, look forward to another adventure with you if it comes up.

I'll keep a look out for the show, should be a laugh.

Yo Wagsy!!

Sorry for not sending you the pics of my house in Mexico. Looks like there may be more work for me this year and I may be coming back over there. Me and you are working together again for sure if I get a shoot in AU. Our show should be out in a month or two.

Yea, the sea snake thing may bore you but it was un nerving for me to see that thing swimming up to my face to check me out. They were much bigger than I had thought, and much more curious. I saw more deadly stuff diving with you for 3 days than I did all last year.

Looks like I need to get attacked by a Queensland Grouper on camera....got any ideas?

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Had a look on google earth at your pad, pretty cool by the looks.

Well I know a place over here in the west under a pearl farm platform where there is a huge wild Queensland Grouper they feed.
Away from the tourist and authorites too. :bye:

I can just picture it, you are screaming through the coms to come and save you as your head is inside it's mouth..... :)

Yes that night dive was pretty cool, funny how it started of pretty dead.... then holy smokes.....never seen so many tiny fish like that before.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Uh oh not more programmes with so called 'Dangerous animals'... People will be to scared to paddle if this keeps on... :) How about a non aggressive programme... Kissing the grouper maybe... :bye:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Uh oh not more programmes with so called 'Dangerous animals'... People will be to scared to paddle if this keeps on... :) How about a non aggressive programme... Kissing the grouper maybe... :bye:

Dive safe

DeanB

Man, if they would pay me to film clownfish and sea cucumbers I would jump at it. I got a shoot that might go off where I get to film fishing lures, thats kind of non-dangerous. Its all about the program and what the network wants to buy.

Natural history is so much more fun to watch when you think the divers are going to die......

#11 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

Its all about the program and what the network wants to buy.

With a message at the end saying its all set up and these animal are not really as bad as you make out ???

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Or with some boobie girls :)

Hey look at these two handsome professionals....topside topside copy......where the hell are we :bye:

dale.jpg

me.jpg

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Is that a battle of the housings i see... WHos got what etc etc...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

Actually, the Megs are in the Marianas Trench, Steve Altman wrote about that in his book "Meg"
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#15 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

With a message at the end saying its all set up and these animal are not really as bad as you make out ???

Dive safe

DeanB

Remember Dean, as an underwater cameraman I am given a list of shots to get and a check at the end. I perform my dive missions and hand over the tape when I am done. What they do with the tape is not my business. If I had the chance to make a natural history documentary than I could have control of the show but the broadcaster may still make changes and add voice over to make it seem how they want.

example:

Scene: Shark swimming over a coral reef.

voice over : The Shark is a savage eating machine fine tuned over millions of years to be a perfect predator.....

Same scene with different voice over

Voice over : Sharks are being killed by the millions and are on the brink of extinction...

The same scene can be used by differen broadcasters to portray different views.

My job is just to get in the water and get the shot, thats it. Trying to tell producers how the show should be will get you out of work. for the most part they want the diver/cameraman to shut up, and get the shots on the list. I stay quiet and complete the missions as given to me.

Dale

#16 gonetobaja

gonetobaja

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Is that a battle of the housings i see... WHos got what etc etc...

Dive safe

DeanB

Yea it was the battle of the housings and Wagsy won....Im still jealous of that extra view port on the top of his phenom. he also had those big ass HID lights with the ice cream containers on the bottom. Nice even light out of them.

I run an FX-1 with a Z1-U and 4 Nocturnal LED lights. I like the instant start up on them, no battery cables on me and I can aim the lights to 4 different areas of my shot depending on how I am trying to light it up. They do have some minor hot spots that I am correcting with different diffusers.

When making a close up shot of, lets say the back of the neck of a sea snake, Wagsy could lower his camera down on the subject and frame it perfectly. for me to get the same shot I had to line my body up much differently and it was much harder to get a quality shot.

The masks are OTS Guardian full face comm systems. I use the Magna-com military grade wireless transceiver to the topside receiver. Very powerfull and clear even when 100s of yards away from the boat.

"Topside, Topside, Wagsy is playing with sea snakes again.....over..."

#17 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

So you guys get to go film the fun stuff while I spent much of last year filming death and destruction. I am only now getting back into the happy underwater world. Can't wait to see the story on History.

So when do we all work together? Been waiting to do something with Wags for years!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

Hey Shawn it was not fun, it was bloody hard work stuck on that liveaboard all to ourselves wondering around the GBR.... with all that dangerous marine life :bye:

Well Shawn I suppose we just need to come up with a dangerous over the top story and then over sensationalize it heaps with a few bikini chicks chucked in and pitch it to a network.
Dale's pretty good at telling stories... so Dale we are counting on you to get us all working together on a gig.

Those wireless coms we were using were pretty cool.
At one stage we were like 150 meters away from the boat and they could hear us no probs.

Dale I got those beautiful one handed angled shots not because of my Phenom housing... but because of my skill. :)

If anyone gets to work with Dale, he is a funny dude.
Looking forward to catching up with you again one day mate.

#19 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Remember Dean, as an underwater cameraman I am given a list of shots to get and a check at the end. I perform my dive missions and hand over the tape when I am done. What they do with the tape is not my business. If I had the chance to make a natural history documentary than I could have control of the show but the broadcaster may still make changes and add voice over to make it seem how they want.

example:

Scene: Shark swimming over a coral reef.

voice over : The Shark is a savage eating machine fine tuned over millions of years to be a perfect predator.....

Same scene with different voice over

Voice over : Sharks are being killed by the millions and are on the brink of extinction...

The same scene can be used by differen broadcasters to portray different views.

My job is just to get in the water and get the shot, thats it. Trying to tell producers how the show should be will get you out of work. for the most part they want the diver/cameraman to shut up, and get the shots on the list. I stay quiet and complete the missions as given to me.

Dale

Damn I'll try and remember all that... I knew i was going wrong somewhere... :bye:

Dive safe

Dean(bloody Atlantic, lost in translation)B
Facebook me ;)

#20 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Very nice Dale, congrats. Thats awesome you got Wagsy involved too. Ill keep my eye out for the show!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals