• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 driftin' by

driftin' by

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Just back from Bonaire. Sorry, no froggies. :drink: First time with a strobe. G9, Ike housing, DS-125. No post processing, only cropped in PSE. Thoughts?

Fireworm f/7.1 1/60 sec
Posted Image

French Angelfish f/8 1/125 sec
Posted Image

Anemone Shrimp f/5.6 1/60 sec
Posted Image

Edited by driftin' by, 20 March 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

Love Bonaire,

In the first image, because you are using a single strobe I would have preferred the lighting on the subject/right side of the image. It would provide more hightlight to the feature of the image.

I think the last image could use a little white balance to bring the pinkish hue down a little bit. I would also prefer the subject in the third a little more.IMHO

Nice work for your first tries with a strobe.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

My favorite is the 2nd image. Did you shoot in Raw or JPEG? Hopefully, you shot in Raw. On the second image, I would open it the the Camera Raw Processor in PSE (you can also do this w/ a JPEG image) and move that recovery slider in to see if you can get rid of those hot spots in the background sand. You should also add a new layer and grab the Spot healing brush to clean up the back scatter.

I doubt the 1st image can be saved with PSE. On the 3rd image, I would have wanted the shrimp to be the focus of the compostion. The composition is fine, but the shrimp should have been sharper.

I know on my first few trips, I was moving my strobe around trying different positions to see what I could get, but I did not have a lap top to view these while on my trip. If you have a laptop, the learning curve should drop.

Great job on your first trip with a strobe. Oh yeah, I also got in the pool and drop some stuff in the water to practice with the stobe. Great place to fool around and try different things.

Kirk

Edited by KirkD, 21 March 2009 - 06:50 PM.