Andi Voeltz

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Rollerblading, Swimming, Travel

Posted 26 July 2003 - 02:28 AM

This guy uses a verrrry long lens set up.†

It's nice but almost too drastic, I think... I was quite conviced by Eric's shots with the 100mm Canon. I picked two of them which I find espescially remarkable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I might guess the difficulties you encounter, when seeing his turtle shot and also this one:

Posted Image

But I think it's more a matter of the angle and strobe. Because this shot by Lars
with our Coolpix 990 turned out very well:

Posted Image

..but it's not as close as I would like to have it. You see ;)

Andi
find a housing for your digicam! oOo. http://www.digideep.com .oOo.
market overview of the essential equipment for digital uw photography

#22 jimbo1946

jimbo1946

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, UW photography, land photography, reading, driving my wife/dive buddy nuts!

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:34 AM

Without getting into the technical aspects, I'd like to weigh in here too. I LOVE the 105mm on my D100/Aquatica housing. I shoot it with the macro port and port extension. For years I longed to photograph the little critters with my Nikonos V and macro tubes. It seldom happened. With the 105mm macro lens, I can stay back out of the fish's "threat zone" and fire away. The 105mm is somewhat limiting, of course, and if a manta ray or whale shark swims by, all you can do is wave. But the 105mm opens up a whole new world of possibilities, and I love that. I almost have to make myself put on the 60mm or 14mm during a dive trip, or I would keep the 105mm on all the time. It's not the easiest lens to use, and yes, the DOF is very small, but the rewards are - to me - worth it, including the experience of looking at the reef in an entirely different way.

That's my 2Ę worth!

Posted Image
Jim Chambers
Tucker, Georgia

Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing with housed SB800 flash.

#23 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:09 AM

But I might guess the difficulties you encounter, when seeing his turtle shot and also this one:

Posted Image

But I think it's more a matter of the angle and strobe.

I just got too frustrated when trying to shoot this goby. There was swell, and it was nearly impossible to keep him in focus, so I abandoned the effort. ;)
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#24 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:15 AM

You guys have made several referenced to the small DOF of the 105 lens. Remember that DOF is determined by reproduction ratio - not by focal length. In other words, a 60mm at 1:1 has the same DOF as a 105 or a 200 mm at the same magnification. The backgrounds include less information, however, making a less distracting background for the long focal length
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#25 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:39 AM

You guys have made several references to the small DOF of the 105 lens. Remember that DOF is determined by reproduction ratio - not by focal length. In other words, a 60mm at 1:1 has the same DOF as a 105 or a 200 mm at the same magnification. The backgrounds include less information, however, making a less distracting background for the long focal length

Good point.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#26 JPS

JPS

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 12:40 PM

PauP, thanks for the very interesting weblink. FYI, in Asia Pacific Reef Guide by Debelius pages 102-105 include more "supermacro" work made by Mitsuaki Takata.
Nikon D200, Ike housing, 2xDS125; Fuji E900 + Inon Z240

#27 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:24 PM

You might look into a compromise between your 110 and 60 mm Lens choice.
I just purchased a Tamron 90 mm 2.8 macro. It has a very good reputation for sharpness, and Iíve read a lot of good feed back on the net. So far Iím very happy with itís performance. I have not used it underwater yet, Iím still working on a flat port but should have it ready this week.

Marc
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#28 PauP

PauP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:00 AM

I have just found this interesting shot taken with my Nikkor 60mm

For some reason I went in to take Seal shots with a Macro lens....suprisingly I got some reults!

So to describe the image:
A half & half portrait shot of an Atlantic Grey Seal, bitiing my left fin!
or "a flukey one-off!"

Aquatica housed F90. 100ASA

#29 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 05:22 PM

Eric, I think you will find the 100mm focus issue goes away with the D60. I have shot hundred of shots with the 100mm and the 10D with no issue. In fact I am now considering the 180mm macro lens.

Also I tried the extention tubes that however did create a focus issue. You can certainly focus on items with in a few inches but if the subject is a foot or more away it becomes an impossibility. ( in auto focus anyway)

Has anyone used a 180mm lens underwater? With the .6 magnification it would effectively be a 280 mm lens.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image[B][B]

#30 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

#31 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:05 PM

Has anyone used a 180mm lens underwater? With the .6 magnification it would effectively be a 280 mm lens.

Mauricio uses a 105 with 2x teleconverter and has tried it with a D100 or S2 (not sure which). Kasey tried that combination, too, I believe. You might consider trying a teleconverter on your 100mm to see if you like the focal length before springing for the 180mm.

Remember the flat port adds a 4/3 magnification. The 180mm on the 10D through a flat port is nearly 400mm land-equivalent.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#32 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:22 AM

The 105 plus 2X TC is challenging b ut quite fun. Obviously you wouldn't rely on AF with this combination. The difference though, is that the combination maintains the min focus distance of the 105mm, so you can achieve 3:1 macro! A 180mm would just push you further from the subject, adding water. Might be great for garden eels and a few other unapproachables.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#33 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 03:13 AM

I prefer to use the 105mm with diopters with my digicam. I find that with a teleconvertor the minimum focus is a bit long (same as before) over most of the focal range, whereas the dioptre brings the minimum focus closer to the camera.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#34 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:51 AM

Difficult, and everyone has different choices preferences. ( based on nikon lenses ).... had the

-60 mm with 2x TC. Benefits, AF still kinda worked, draw back, you had to get so close, the Jaw fish could almost kiss the port glass, and strobe positioning was difficult ( no space). Forget this set up with shy animals.

- Now for the 105 with 2xTC. Slightly more distance, like this set up the best. Forget about AF, and as such faster moving animals are hard to shoot ( then again, Nudi branches are not exactly Brare Hare ). You are probably limited to stationary subjects. Jaw Fish an Gobies still hard to get really close to, but I have some great shots with this set up of i.e. cronoid shrimps

- 200 mm with 2x TC. Again, every " Design " has its draw backs and benefits. Donthave this set up, but assume it would be good for shy animals. Draw back would be probably its long length of the lens, possible camera shake, and recon it will have the same auto focus problems as the 105 with the TC.

#35 Andi Voeltz

Andi Voeltz

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Rollerblading, Swimming, Travel

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:59 AM

So following up our conversation here Lars & decided on the 100mm Canon Macro lense.
We will also buy a close-up lense and would like to which one you recommend?

The Canon 250 D or the Canon 500 D or Canon 500 close-up lense?
The above where said to work best with the 100mm lense (source: Canon).

Thanxx, Andi
find a housing for your digicam! oOo. http://www.digideep.com .oOo.
market overview of the essential equipment for digital uw photography

#36 jnsgonda

jnsgonda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 01:51 PM

Alex,

What size diopter are you using with the 105mm? How close does it move the minimum focus distance?

Thanks,

John
Nikon D-200, Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes.