• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MAR299

MAR299

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Curacao? One of the divers is relatively new and would like the comfort of a quality dive operation on site.

#2 SpottedEagleray

SpottedEagleray

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

The Lodge Kura Hulanda in Westpunt (http://www.kurahulanda.com/lodge) is a great balance of a nice resort with 2-3 restaurants and a spa onsite with a fantastic dive operator - Ocean Encounters West (http://www.oceanencounterswest.com/). The house reef is mushroom forest so shore diving is fantastic. They usually run a 2 tank boat dive in the morning and then you do shore diving in the afternoon. The downside is that the Lodge is 30 minutes from Willemstaad, but the drive into town is very easy.

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

I have only been to Curacao once, but stayed at http://www.habitatcuracaoresort.com. Was going last year again, but Continental cancelling flights put an end to that. Planning on going back there this year. Really enjoyed it. Low key, laid back with a nice house reef and unlimited shore diving. More a dive place than a hotel, but I really enjoyed it alot.

#4 RickM

RickM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

We were there last year and stayed at Habitat in on of the ocean front rooms. Not what you would call a luxury place but it was clean and comfortable. The guys in the dive shop did a great job and the house reef is very nice and an easy dive. Shore dives open 24/7 just grab a tank and jump in.

Some friends are going back this year but are going to try Sunset Waters. We stopped by there and it looked nice but I've never stayed there.

#5 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

Here's another vote for Habitat Curacao. The house reef is excellent and is great for a new diver as there is a rope you can hold on to for "comfort" that leads you to the wall where you'll be diving. If you want to head back after only a short time, it's very easy to do that. It's almost impossible to get lost. There's also a dive site called Mushroom Forest that is highly recommended.

Don't miss going to Willemstad to see all the brightly colored houses and the walking bridge. Very cool.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#6 Calypso

Calypso

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Curacao? One of the divers is relatively new and would like the comfort of a quality dive operation on site.

Hi there!

we just got back from Sunset Beach Resort in Curacao. While the hotel and dive shop were not bad, they were neither spectacular (FYI-The two are not affiliated with each other) I would describe the experience as comfortable and low key, nothing fancy. There was a 12 year old and her mother, who was being certified at the time, and they seemed to have had a good experience overall (besides the fact that her instructor could not make it to her check out dive since he had a hangover from the night before). The crew was friendly, nice clean boat, our equipment stayed safe and most sites were only a few minutes away.My only complaint is how they executed the dive and this can be argued no matter where one goes. Once at the dive site the dive plan always seemed hurried along something to the effect of - 'we drop in swim 20 minutes turn around and go up' personally i want to know what we'll see- what the hand symbols are ect... Maybe this was rushed because it was always the same group of divers. Depending on who led the dive it seemed like we were rushed, they never stopped -either to look for different creatures or at who was lagging behind. but more than that in my opinion the dive masters (some were in the process of being certified, but led the group anyway) should always be the last ones on board and not leave a diver alone- which happened often. Talking to one of the DMs in training he felt that he shoudln't be relied on as a tour guide yet i ask, if that were the case then why does anyone need a dive leader- if we've all been certified and thus responsible for ourselves?
So i hope this helps a bit. I would use them again and have had worse experiences. The dive operation was not aweful only i think we just have differences in ethics of scuba diving :turtle:
please let me know if you have any questions and hope you have a great time, we did!

#7 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Due to American airlines cancelling flights from San Juan to Bonaire, we decided to re-book a trip to Curacao. My wife loves Sunset Waters. All inclusive, including drinks great house reef. It's alos out from town a bit but we're just going to dive so, no problem.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#8 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Habitat Curacao was pleasant.
Easy diving too. 24 x 7
My only complaint is all the smoking that the staff does (in the dive shop too).
The dive briefing schedule/requirement basically blows the AM on day 1 though.
---------------
Mark

#9 dogdrjohn

dogdrjohn

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

another possibility, depending on how many are going, is to rent Sunshine Curacao - I think you get the whole upstairs apartment for about $200/night. Easy walk to Ocean Encounters West for diving, or go out with Sunshine's husband (David?) who loves to dive any time. Lovely apartment over their little cafe/pizza place. Quiet and peaceful as long as dinner guests aren't too noisy. Stayed there by myself for 1 week in Dec. 2008 and loved it.
John