11 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

Posted Image

This weekend is the London International Dive Show at the Excel Centre in the Docklands area of London, UK. And there is much of interest for underwater photographers.

As in previous shows I am hosting the Digital Photo Clinic with Wetpixel member and Photoshop guru Saeed Rashid and Paul "Duxy" Duxfield from Cameras Underwater. We are well aware that many of you attend this each year and we have a number of new ideas and features to show you, in this predominantly question and answer session.

Other speakers include regular Wetpixel contributer and DIVER Magazine's Technical Editor John Bantin will be talking about his career testing kit and writing features for the magazine, which I am sure will be full of funny anecdotes and also valuable advice for those interested in publishing their work. Other talks I will be hoping to catch include those by Monty Halls and Captain Paul Watson. Full listing here.

John and I are also presenting in the Red Sea Zone. I am talking on the Photographic Opportunities in the Red Sea, describing what you can plan to shoot and giving some tips on how best to capture typical Red Sea subjects. John will talk about a recent epic and unique expedition from Taba in the north to Zabargad in the south or Egypt. There are also interesting talks by Ned Middleton and John Kean on wrecks, that are bound to be popular.

Also of particular interest to underwater photographers is the display of the best 80 prints from the BSoUP/DIVER Print Competition, you can vote for your favourite, although for those planning to vote for your own picture, note that an independant panel of judges (led by Peter Scoones, Nigel Eaton and Brian Pitkin) will select the grand prize winner of a week's holiday in the Red Sea, courtesy of Oonasdivers! So you know who to buy drinks for.

In addition to the Speaker Presentations there are also sponsored Exhibitor Seminars, - many with a focus on underwater photography and video. These include:
Cameras Underwater (Paul Duxfield) - Dive with a compact, shoot like a pro, Ocean Optics (Steve Warren) - The Inon Digital Compact Underwater Photography Academy's, Ocean Optics (Fred Woodcock)- Stunts, Stars and Fireworks - Shooting movie blockbusters at underwater studios, and Ocean Visions (Maria Munn) - Fabulous Underwater Photographs with Your Compact Camera.

Plus many photography and video related exhibitors in the main show hall.

I'll be there (obviously) so if you are coming do say hello!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

I cant make it, too busy at work. I shouldnt complain though as a lot of guys I know would love to have wotk at the moment.
Have fun and spend loads of money.

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#3 DDT uk

DDT uk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

Alex

I'll be there on the Saturday and will no doubt come along to the talk.

I don't suppose you are intending on taking you ring diffuser to show off at the talk or BSoUP stand? I would love to see it.

Daniel

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:37 AM

I don't suppose you are intending on taking you ring diffuser to show off at the talk or BSoUP stand? I would love to see it.
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I have already spoken about this with the guys and have prepared a few images in a talk to demonstrate this and three other DIY camera mods - entitled "Underwater photography for the credit crunch". But it is something we will hold in reserve - if we get a question about it and if there are sufficient DSLR/external strobe users in the audience. That is why we always do the show of hands thing at the beginning to determine the balance of the audience.

So I guess what I am saying is if you ask about it - I'll tell you!

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 blimbo

blimbo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

I'm going to be there on sunday.

Alex, do you have an itinerary or know the times you're talking?

Cheers,

Tim
Nikon D90, Hugyfot housing, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Nikkor AF-S 105mm, Inon Z-240

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi Tim,

The various links on the first post give times for all the talks.

Alex

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

Just to clarify one bit of mis-informatio:

In 1992 I was a dive guide on a liveaboard and we went from the Sinai all the way to Djibouti via dive sites in the Sudan, Eritrea and the Yemen.

Since then I have visited the Red Sea about four times each year.

My talk is entitled Taba to Zabargad but I have NOT recently returned from one trip that encompassed the whole of Egypt's Red Sea Coast. It took a lot longer!

Come anyway. It might be interesting but not as interesting as my main talk in North Gallery 12/13 presentation theatre at 11.15 each day! I'm talking about my favourite subject - Me!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8388 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Sorry for propagating the mis-info John.

Alex

#9 indigo

indigo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

I REALLY wish that I could be there, but I have divers in resort and we are having so much fun! Just got my new BIG compressor so waiting or the electrician to come and do his thing!

Have a glass of proper beer, a decent curry and a decent cup of tea for me.

Hopefully be there next year!

Kay Wilson
Indigo Dive,
St. Vincent.

PS Having a ball with the divers that are here - 4 'not in the books' critters in one day!

#10 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi all

I'll be hovering around the Elasmo Films/Shark Conservation Society stand which from memory is number 437 (opposite the Shark Trust stand). Come by and say hello and put a face to a name :)

Cheers, Simon

#11 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi all

I'll be hovering around the Elasmo Films/Shark Conservation Society stand which from memory is number 437 (opposite the Shark Trust stand). Come by and say hello and put a face to a name :)

Cheers, Simon

I would have loved to come down to the smoke but im a wee bit busy this weekend...

Simon who was the photographer who took your picture on the Elasmo website... You in the commercial dive gear... Its a lovely black and white picture and i can really see why you chose it... But who was the shooter it doesn't actually say ??? :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#12 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Simon who was the photographer who took your picture on the Elasmo website... You in the commercial dive gear... Its a lovely black and white picture and i can really see why you chose it... But who was the shooter it doesn't actually say ??? :D

Dive safe

DeanB

LOL sorry mate, I'll put a credit up on it just in case anyone wants to steal that beautiful professionally shot black and white photo! :)

Cheers, Simon